OT-Deathstorm | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT-Deathstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Our Internet was down, so I couldn't get to zoom."

We are required to record all of our classes on Zoom so this isn't an excuse. If students miss class we just give them the link to watch what they missed.

Reaction Score
I'm a high school teacher. We were just told it's a remote day unless there is a "power outage." Don't know what that means because we host a microgrid here. Maybe if there is a still undefined percentage of the district homes??

Reaction Score
I'm a high school teacher. We were just told it's a remote day unless there is a "power outage." Don't know what that means because we host a microgrid here. Maybe if there is a still undefined percentage of the district homes??

And what about the teachers out of district? I live 30 minutes from my school--if I don't have power I'm just going to have to text a colleague and have them let my classes know, I guess.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry to the teachers whose schools are forcing them to have classes on Zoom on Thursday.

I'm surprised by our school's foresight for having Thursday a "no school" day pending snow...we're usually the last private school in the area to call it and we almost always just follow what our public school system does, which is ridiculous because our student commuting radius is quite large (about 30 minutes for a sizable group of families) and we're located off a windy backroad.

This is a unique situation, especially being so close to winter break. It's just one day of school and .

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What about teachers with children in other districts who are not remote and have a snow day? I could see doing remote instruction after the 4th snow day or something but let these kids have some joy!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm sorry to the teachers whose schools are forcing them to have classes on Zoom.

I'm surprised by our school's foresight for having Thursday a "no school" day pending snow...we're usually the last private school in the area to call it and we almost always just follow what our public school system does, which is ridiculous because our student commuting radius is quite large (about 30 minutes for a sizable group of families) and we're located off a windy backroad.

This is a unique situation, especially being so close to winter break. It's just one day of school and .

We have most kids remote this week anyway, so I don't think a Zoom call is anything but an ordinary day.

I do agree with your comments on commute radius. My daughter drives about 25 minutes, but her school is just across that imaginary line where it rains there while we get snow or ice here. So before this remote learning was the norm I was often frustrated when they didn't cancel school but it was very dangerous here.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I disagree. As long as there aren't power outage issues, do a remote learning day. If we can avoid adding snow days to the end of the year or taking away scheduled vacation days, would much rather them do remote for the day.
Do a half day.

I remember my senior year of hs I got lucky and our snow came mid day. So we got 4 or 5 early dismissals instead of snow days. I was done by June 13 rather than around the NBA draft, which was more normal

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
"Our Internet was down, so I couldn't get to zoom."
We are required to record all of our classes on Zoom so this isn't an excuse. If students miss class we just give them the link to watch what they missed.
My dog ate my internet......

So what happens if the students have internet and can get on zoom but the teacher cannot? Does the school district call around for a substitute zoom teacher with internet and electricity?

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
From middle school through junior year of HS I had Hartford Courant paper route in the morning, Journal Inquirer route in the afternoon and then would cut some grasss or shovel snow for a few of those houses. Gave me enough pocket money for what I wanted.

Snow day would be deliver papers, shovel driveways and be out playing with friends by 9 or 10 am.

Did you have to shovel up hill both ways?

Reaction Score
Lol. No. Always shoveled downhill.

But as a kid who was too young to hold a real job, it put money in the pocket for the important stuff like arcade games and go kart racing.
Best snow related money I ever made was when we had a 2 ft snow...rather than busting butt shoveling, 4 of us walked around and charged people 10 bucks to push out their car from snow rut...made same or more $$ for much less work than shoveling an entire drive for 20 bucks

Reaction Score
It's always the guy who points fingers and yells the loudest.smh. smh.They are squeaky clean until they get outed

Reaction Score
So what happens if the students have internet and can get on zoom but the teacher cannot? Does the school district call around for a substitute zoom teacher with internet and electricity?

Probably want to ensure they have indoor plumbing as well.....

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sorry guys snow days should no longer be a thing. We have all moved to a remote learning model and this is a byproduct of it. We need our children to be educated as they have already been disrupted so much due to lack of leadership during the pandemic. We can't keep missing days of learning and be further set back.
Post/Handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc