OT: Consequences of Great Upsets | The Boneyard

OT: Consequences of Great Upsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The Woman's draw in the Aussie open has provided a slew of upsets with the top three players in the world being summarily dispatched.

More interesting to me is the subsequent failures of each of the upsette's
(my word) to subsequently advance (In simple English: they all got crushed in their next match).

This board knows all to well my reputation as a worrier. Is there a possible parallel here?

Obviously, a great deal has to do with coaching and preparation. A perfect time for a let-down (if one was going to ocurr) was the championship game following the monster Notre Dame win in the semi's of last season's NCAA.

But our team took the floor in the Louisville game hell-bent on annihilation and comfortably aced that task.

Still: the stories of this year's tourny down are worth considering:

Ana Ivanovic won the French in 2006 and has spent the last 5 years trying to find the form that that win suggested.

Yes, she is a little bit of a head case and almost too attractive for her own good; I'm sure, along the way there were some Anna Korinikova thoughts (not first-class, but unbelievably attractive, for those who forget or are too young). But this Ana is a first-class ball striker, got herself in the best shape of her life, finally found a home-grown coach with whom she could relate and destroyed Serena on a day when the world's #1 was not completely fit, but would still have beaten almost anyone except a player with Ana's huge attacking game and confidence (earlier, she had beaten Venus in a warm-up tourney).

Two days later and Ana had reverted to her more traditionall self: self-doubt, far less aggression and lots of short balls, young Jeannie Bouchard played solidly and boom, Ana was toast.

Last night, Jeannie heself was whipped by Li Na, but I think that outside of the very beginning of the match, in which the the young Canadian couldn't seem to get anything going, she competed strongly and just lost to a slightly more ready player. Not a precise parallel to the above, in my view.

But on the other side of the draw, exactly the same phenomenon was exhibited.
The world's #2, Victoria Azarenka, with a very powerful game was finessed into oblivion by the 25-year old Aggie Radwanska. I've never heard Cliff Drysdale scream during a call of a match as much at the brilliance and anticipation of Aggie at the net. Vika described herself as a bystander, watching extraordinary shot-making taking place across the net.

But a day later Aggie was Ana: short balls, no aggression, seemingly emotionally drained from the previous day's effort. the ability too compete effectively, sadly compromised.

Is there a message in all this that applies to woman's BB?

Perhaps, but not likely for this team, this coach, this program.

Reaction Score
I don't know if there is a message in this but maybe Baylor coach Mulkey
knows.

Reaction Score
I suspect that the UCONN women are much less prone to this than many. Reason is that for UCONN, the standard is "perfect basketball" - NOT some opponent. As such, I suspect there is less "get up the emotions" involved on the UCONN side than on ?most? other teams. When you ride emotion and adrenaline, sooner or later that will crash but when you ride fundamental execution EVERY play, there is no crashing.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
The Woman's draw in the Aussie open has provided a slew of upsets with the top three players in the world being summarily dispatched.

More interesting to me is the subsequent failures of each of the upsette's
(my word) to subsequently advance (In simple English: they all got crushed in their next match).

This board knows all to well my reputation as a worrier. Is there a possible parallel here?

Obviously, a great deal has to do with coaching and preparation. A perfect time for a let-down (if one was going to ocurr) was the championship game following the monster Notre Dame win in the semi's of last season's NCAA.

But our team took the floor in the Louisville game hell-bent on annihilation and comfortably aced that task.

Still: the stories of this year's tourny down are worth considering:

Ana Ivanovic won the French in 2006 and has spent the last 5 years trying to find the form that that win suggested.

Yes, she is a little bit of a head case and almost too attractive for her own good; I'm sure, along the way there were some Anna Korinikova thoughts (not first-class, but unbelievably attractive, for those who forget or are too young). But this Ana is a first-class ball striker, got herself in the best shape of her life, finally found a home-grown coach with whom she could relate and destroyed Serena on a day when the world's #1 was not completely fit, but would still have beaten almost anyone except a player with Ana's huge attacking game and confidence (earlier, she had beaten Venus in a warm-up tourney).

Two days later and Ana had reverted to her more traditionall self: self-doubt, far less aggression and lots of short balls, young Jeannie Bouchard played solidly and boom, Ana was toast.

Last night, Jeannie heself was whipped by Li Na, but I think that outside of the very beginning of the match, in which the the young Canadian couldn't seem to get anything going, she competed strongly and just lost to a slightly more ready player. Not a precise parallel to the above, in my view.

But on the other side of the draw, exactly the same phenomenon was exhibited.
The world's #2, Victoria Azarenka, with a very powerful game was finessed into oblivion by the 25-year old Aggie Radwanska. I've never heard Cliff Drysdale scream during a call of a match as much at the brilliance and anticipation of Aggie at the net. Vika described herself as a bystander, watching extraordinary shot-making taking place across the net.

But a day later Aggie was Ana: short balls, no aggression, seemingly emotionally drained from the previous day's effort. the ability too compete effectively, sadly compromised.

Is there a message in all this that applies to woman's BB?

Perhaps, but not likely for this team, this coach, this program.
Don't know about parallel but this has got to be the craziest Slam I have watched in a long time !

Stan is doing a good Rudolph impersonation.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and 11 players will have to double-fault all game... all would need to have sore back and all couldnt stand "the heat"

still dont understand the comparison... and yes you are a worrier (why, what real effect would a UConn loss on you. are you betting on these games?)

I say relax my brother, stress isnt good for the health!

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think he enjoy being the "I told you it was going to happen" type of guy

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
For me, the takeaway deals with worthy participants, near the top of their game, but still underdogs….outperforming or maximizing their ability in the quarterfinals, only to underplay in the semi's to seemingly lesser opponents they were expected to beat.

The fact that both cases seemed so parallel attracted my attention.

I don't see any clear relationship to the current UConn situ; we will be the favored team and expect to run the table.
My immediate thought (Daddy) was to search for any way this phenominon might effect our team's prospects; can't find any.

With regard your initial point regarding stress levels: I am one of the most stress free people I know…and one of the ways I dispel any hint of it is to articulate any concerns…out in the open…stress possibility relieved. Works every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom