OT. Come on America get with it! | The Boneyard

OT. Come on America get with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’ve read on the yard a few people talking down about “the beautiful game”. Come on people, get with it. The world can’t have it wrong. Soccer/football played at the highest levels of club, college and professionally is absolutely exciting and beautiful! It’s on my television often. My daughter played club and college.

Football/Soccer
While it may not be apparent in the United States, association football—also known as soccer—is the most popular sport in the world by a vast margin. Soccer is king in virtually all of Europe, South America, Africa, the Middle East, Central America, and Asia.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Started watching back when Mia Hamm was leading team U.S.A. to international fame. I have been hooked ever since. I'll make it clear I watch the women play, have not been able to get next to the men's game, however. The players are some of the best conditioned athletes in all of sports having a skill set to match. Do they flop, sometimes, I think they must have been watching far too much pro BB picking up pointers on the best flopping techniques.
At first, I had to watch a number of games to find the precision in the game. Once I was able to understand various facets of the game it became much more interesting to me. If it's not your cup of tea so be it. I would much rather watch the women play any day than watch any NBA game, that to me is rarely a team game just a bunch of overpriced crybabies ball hogging and flopping at will. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What I realized is that watching soccer take more of a”wide angle” view to enjoy.
The offense side and the defensive side are more huge shapes that morph in reaction to offensive incursions and defensive retreats.
Don’t know if I’m making sense, but watching the general game flow makes it more enjoyable to me.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think some of the negativity was due to the clear limitations of American Men's soccer compared to the European / South America Standard. I always associated the way the American Men play to just going for 50 yard drives into the box and hope for lucky bounces or just hope for a few set plays.

I think the MLS is improving however with increased international players coming and a slow evolution of the US Men's skill set with our current National Team Results.

The US Women were always at the top and their play was therefore more visually appealing. However, even here, on ball skills were given short shift over physical play but I think beautiful ion ball skills are also coming to the American Style.

Reaction Score
Started watching back when Mia Hamm was leading team U.S.A. to international fame. I have been hooked ever since. I'll make it clear I watch the women play, have not been able to get next to the men's game, however. The players are some of the best conditioned athletes in all of sports having a skill set to match. Do they flop, sometimes, I think they must have been watching far too much pro BB picking up pointers on the best flopping techniques.
At first, I had to watch a number of games to find the precision in the game. Once I was able to understand various facets of the game it became much more interesting to me. If it's not your cup of tea so be it. I would much rather watch the women play any day than watch any NBA game, that to me is rarely a team game just a bunch of overpriced crybabies ball hogging and flopping at will. :rolleyes:
Are you saying that Football players picked up flopping from BB players? :D I beg to differ. There’s a reason why LeBron owns a soccer team. He’s the best flopper in the game. :rolleyes::p

Reaction Score
Are you saying that Football players picked up flopping from BB players? :D I beg to differ. There’s a reason why LeBron owns a soccer team. He’s the best flopper in the game. :rolleyes::p
Flopping in both sports are mutually exclusive of each other in my opinion. I don't see any correlation. I remember people complaining about flopping when I started paying attention to NBA and International basketball in the 90s. Heck, it's in NFL and NHL games too.

No different than any sport, players find ways to get the edge and push limits. I know there are rules to discourage it in basketball, but it seems like enforcement is non-existent.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wonderful sport for the players/athletes.
Totally boring to watch.
I don't mind if people don't like soccer, there are some (few, very few) that I don't really enjoy watching. Everybody has their preferences.

However, I do have a problem if they say they don't watch it because it's boring......but they watch baseball or golf. Come up with another reason.

(not saying you specifically)

Reaction Score
What I realized is that watching soccer take more of a”wide angle” view to enjoy.
The offense side and the defensive side are more huge shapes that morph in reaction to offensive incursions and defensive retreats.
Don’t know if I’m making sense, but watching the general game flow makes it more enjoyable to me.
Watched the USA women play Nigeria. It was really cool to see Ashley Hatch USA (Legends FC),Michelle Chinwendu Alozie Nigeria (legends FC) and Ifeoma Chukwufumnay Onumonu Nigeria (Arsenal FC) Nigeria. My daughter played Legends FC club with and against these young ladies. We love the womens game.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
They could instantly improve Soccer by modifying the offense killing Offside Rule.

And Youth Soccer Refs don't seem to understand the "Handball" rule at all. Noy sure what part of "intentional" they don't get.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Those who claim soccer is boring will surely change their minds after seeing this:

Are you saying, forget playing the game, and go straight to the shootout? That would save a lot of time.

Reaction Score
It's been basically the game of the poor, which includes the majority of the world's population. All you need is a ball. No bats, no gloves, no hoop, no protective equipment needed. Just an open space and a ball. That's why it's so popular. People love the games they played.
Interesting. Never thought of it that way. You may have a point.

Reaction Score
They could instantly improve Soccer by modifying the offense killing Offside Rule.

And Youth Soccer Refs don't seem to understand the "Handball" rule at all. Noy sure what part of "intentional" they don't get.
Then you’d just have defenders living in the box.

Reaction Score
Are you saying, forget playing the game, and go straight to the shootout? That would save a lot of time.

The NHL went to a shootout a few seasons ago. I hate it because a) it's a gimmicky way to decide a game and b) during OT nobody tries to win by scoring, they just try to prevent the other team from scoring. It's boring to watch OT now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The problem soccer has always had in the US is that the action is too continuous, there need to be lots of 3 minute stoppages of play. :rolleyes:
How do they expect us to be entertained if we're not treated to a minimum of 8 long commercial breaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom