OT: Classic films | The Boneyard

OT: Classic films

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Have you got a favorite (before 1950) that you've viewed more than others?
Mine is the first pairing of Bogey and Bacall, TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT.
The anti Nazi theme is always a winner among us oldies.
It doesn't hurt for reinforcement that the pop song of "having it all just like Bogey and Bacall",
brings it up for me. They had a magical May & September pairing.
I'd guess I've seen it 4 times.
Yours?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Have you got a favorite (before 1950) that you've viewed more than others?
Mine is the first pairing of Bogey and Bacall, TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT.
The anti Nazi theme is always a winner among us oldies.
It doesn't hurt for reinforcement that the pop song of "having it all just like Bogey and Bacall",
brings it up for me. They had a magical May & September pairing.
I'd guess I've seen it 4 times.
Yours?
I love that one too. She was just 18 years old! " You just put your lips together and blow." Wow. Good theme and great characters. It is my third favorite Bogey film. Casablanca is tops for me, then the African Queen. All with a similar message about Fascism.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
This falls just outside your parameter (from 1952), but, the casting and the dialogue are just wonderful.

Super movie with a wonderful cast of characters. John Ford had to agree to film another western movie in order to get his gang together for this gem about his beloved Ireland. I think you should get a special dispensation from the Chief for this one! :D

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
1948. A Treasure of a movie. A drink in Robert Blake's face. A classic fight with two tough little guys double-teaming a crooked behemoth. A great cameo by John Huston. Academy Award chops for Walter Huston. Bogey at his paranoid, greedy best. A critical supporting role by Olympic Silver Medalist Bruce Bennet/Herman Brix; Great story, beautifully filmed. And of course:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Super movie with a wonderful cast of characters. John Ford had to agree to film another western movie in order to get his gang together for this gem about his beloved Ireland. I think you should get a special dispensation from the Chief for this one! :D
At the end of the movie, Maureen O’Hara whispers something in John Wayne’s ear. Wayne had a somewhat startled look on his face as he smiles and proceeds to follow O’Hara into the house for what we presume to be a passionate interlude.

John Ford wanted that reaction from Wayne, so he suggested to O’Hara that she surprise him by saying something shocking to him. Unfortunately, the only people who ever knew what O’Hara whispered to Wayne were Wayne himself, O’Hara and Ford, and they were all sworn to secrecy.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Come on! It's December 14th..."A Christmas Carol" starring Reginald Owen with Gene Lockhart and June Lockhart from Lost In Space as Belinda Cratchit.

Or "Miracle on 34th Street" with Natalie Wood. Jeez, get in the Christmas spirit!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
another goodie, right on the cut line..

1544817573480.png

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
The 39 Steps (1935) is one of my favorites. I love the fast pace, the twists and turns of the plot, and the way in which Hitchcock combines a spy thriller with a romance and infuses the movie with incredible wit.

I also love Million Dollar Legs (1932), starring Jack Oakie and W. C. Fields. It is hilariously insane -- as good as the best Marx Brothers' movies, in my opinion.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Come on! It's December 14th..."A Christmas Carol" starring Reginald Owen with Gene Lockhart and June Lockhart from Lost In Space as Belinda Cratchit.

Or "Miracle on 34th Street" with Natalie Wood. Jeez, get in the Christmas spirit!
Bah, humbug! ;)

Bama fan

Reaction Score
At the end of the movie, Maureen O’Hara whispers something in John Wayne’s ear. Wayne had a somewhat startled look on his face as he smiles and proceeds to follow O’Hara into the house for what we presume to be a passionate interlude.

John Ford wanted that reaction from Wayne, so he suggested to O’Hara that she surprise him by saying something shocking to him. Unfortunately, the only people who ever knew what O’Hara whispered to Wayne were Wayne himself, O’Hara and Ford, and they were all sworn to secrecy.
I have read that Maureen O'Hara was the only woman who stood up to Ford and barked back. I think she ,and ford, and Wayne were deeply fond of each other. Ford made another fine movie about Ireland with Victor McGlaglen in 1935. It was titled "the Informer" and it won several academy awards. Dark movie about the Irish civil wars and a man who is torn by some poor decisions. Don't see it anymore though.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
It's Casablanca for me too, although I didn't see it for the first time till I was in my 30's. Probably about 7 times for me now. It's just so damn good.

Citizen Kane and The Third Man if I'm in the mood for Welles.

North by Northwest, Dial M for Murder or Vertigo if Hitchcock.

I'm not really into Westerns, but Shane is a favorite.

Reaction Score
My favorite Bogart films have been mentioned. You have to love the female leads with Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca, Katharine Hepburn in African Queen and Lauren Bacall in To Have and Have Not. My favorite is Casablanca and Ingrid Bergman.
Dr. Zhivago with Omar Sharif and Julie Christie is another favorite of mine. I always enjoy seeing Julie Christie; as Lara in Zhivago in 1965 and more recently in one of the Harry Potter movies.

Oops - missed the before 1950 but I’ll leave it as Julie Christie is always worth remembering.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ok, it's just after 1950. It's still to me the greatest western I ever saw, although after 1950, "The Long Riders", "Unforgiven", "Butch and Sundance", "The Magnificent Seven", and "Silverado" were pretty good. I still watch it when it comes on TV.

Reaction Score
I think 39 was the best year, I like to watch and rewatch Gone With the WInd and The Wizard of Oz. If we're going with Christmas, then Miracle on 34th Street is a must watch (Natalie Wood was so cute). And another Christmas classic was It's a Wonderful Life. I've watched Gone With the Wind a little less than the others, just because it takes such a long time commitment to watch it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom