OT: Chrome Book | The Boneyard

OT: Chrome Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any thoughts, thinking about replacing a laptop, not a huge gamer, just for internet and some productivity.

Reaction Score
I looked at chromebooks when I was in the market for a new laptop, but I think it'd get really annoying really quick to not have any legitimate OS.

I like to use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. Google's replacements may be perfectly good replacements, but I'm not interested in being forced to use them.

You can find a Windows laptop for right around the same price and it'll have way more functionality.

Reaction Score
If you have an android phone then the Chromebook will be very familiar to you. It's google eco system and it's pretty complete for most work. Of course windows apps will not run on Chromebook but the Google Play Store has just about everything one would want or need.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have the Chrome 3.

The keyboard is cramped and hard to type on, but that's a function of its size. I like that it has a cheap, matte screen - I can use it on the deck with no glare.

What I don't like about it - it is relentlessly cheap, the touchpad is a misery and it is just dog-slow for something that is basically just running a web browser.

Newer versions may have fixed some/all of those complaints.

Reaction Score
I got one for my girlfriend a few months back. If all you're doing is simple word processing, excel, and powerpoint along with internet then the chrome book is a good option. If you need to convert your documents to another form compatible with MS products you can and you can always just send it to work if you need to touch it up. For the price, the weight (2 lbs), battery life, and boot time, I think it's a great option for someone who wants to downgrade from a full laptop but still likes the laptop feel that you don't get with a tablet.

The samsung chromebook has a great tacttile feel to it that simulates the macbook keyboard. A few things to watch out for: 1. No programs like Itunes (although many of the chrome apps can be run without an internet connection), 2. You can only use Google Chrome for the Web Browser (I love chrome as you can log in to a chrome browser from any computer that has it and all your settings, book marks, passwords are saved) and there a few problems with some websites that only support 64 bit browsers with java, 3. Also remember that you still have the ability to USB a portable hard drive where you can store movies, pictures, mirrored operating systems, etc (fairly cheap nowadays).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom