OT: Best Northeast Beaches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Northeast Beaches

Reaction Score
Cisco on Nantucket gets my vote, but mostly because it's probably the beach I've spent more time on than any other.

Reaction Score
New boneyard death pool. Who is the first yarder to get eaten by a shark this season. Might as well tie the traditional death pool and the traditional shark infatuation together. A good year for it the sharks are hungry and I like Meta.

My money is on the cape cod crowd.

My parents have a place in Chatham and my father swims every morning. Chatham is basically ground zero for great whites. I told him it's only a matter of time before he comes back with a limb missing.

Reaction Score
Cisco on Nantucket gets my vote, but mostly because it's probably the beach I've spent more time on than any other.
Cisco is great but it seemed to be disappearing from erosion, don't know if they did anything about that also not sure how much can be done.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Ogunquit in Maine, but it's a long haul. Just stand in the water with your beer, it won't get warm.
Oh man there's one I didn't expect to see. Spent many a summer there, it could be the hottest week of the entire year in the dead of July yet the water will still be bone chilling cold. It's a great beach and the water is super clean and clear, but it's like standing in a tub of ice water.

Reaction Score
I've always liked Nauset Beach off of Cape Cod. I think it's in Orleans.

Nauset has a lot of the amenities, is a great beach but you'd have to leave at 6 am on Saturday to have a shot with a day trip from CT If you are on the Cape it's well worth going. The winter storms have totally rearranged the sand at Marconi and at the base of the stairs there is no bar at low tide and the bottom is rocks. It is amazing how different it is from last year. Had to laugh at Excaliber and the water temp comment. He'd have to adjust the old boys up a few notches most days.

Reaction Score
Cahoon Hollow in Wellfleet, home of the Beachcomber, is one of my favorites in New England. But if you want to spend any serious time in the water, it's too cold until August (without a wetsuit). And it's a long ride.

In CT, I've only been to Compo in Westport (a town beach with no parking if you don't have a permit) and the state parks. Of those, I like Rocky Neck the best for the wider beach area.

In RI, I like Scarborough the best. It's not as crazy, busy as Misquam with good facilities and parking. The water is warmer than the Cape with better waves than the sound. Block Island is nice, but the beaches near the ferry landing and marinas can be zoo-like with LI knuckleheads who took their boats out for the day and are partying up.

South Beach on Martha's Vineyard is really nice too if you're up for the drive plus ferry ride.

Reaction Score
Thinking about soaking the remaining poison ivy in some salt water, putting down the blanket and hoisting an umbrella. Relaxation, some swimming, music (headphones) and reading all day. In Stratford we have 3 beaches but the Mrs wants to go out of town.

I live in Stratford too and what is the third beach besides Short beach and Long beach?

I know it's close, but if you haven't been the beach at the Audubon Society in Milford is very nice and literally no one goes there.

Reaction Score
I live in Stratford too and what is the third beach besides Short beach and Long beach?

I know it's close, but if you haven't been the beach at the Audubon Society in Milford is very nice and literally no one goes there.
Lordship, to the left of the parking area.

Reaction Score
Rocky Neck blows hammonaset away. No waves basically a salt water lake. Small crowds other than the July 4th holiday. Tranquil and beautiful place on this earth. All amenities you need. I shower there and drive home feeling nice.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lordship, to the left of the parking area.
Unless they changed the name, it was always called Russian Beach when I was growing up and last I knew. I don't believe there is a "Lordship Beach." All three are in Lordship.

As for the OP, the thread title is a little misleading. You're not looking for the "Best Northeast Beach"; you're looking for the best beach day trip from Stratford. That is most certainly a Rhode Island beach.

Reaction Score
superjohn said:
Cisco is great but it seemed to be disappearing from erosion, don't know if they did anything about that also not sure how much can be done.

The whole islands disappearing.

Reaction Score
Ditch Plain in Montauk is the best beach between The Canadian border and the outer banks, but that's a long trip.

Watch Hill beach at the base of the cliff by the Ocean House is the best beach in New England, but you have to walk to facilities and you won't get grills.

Go to Blue Shutters or Charlestown. Misquamicut sucks. The sand is really coarse after Sandy. In that area, Dunes park at the Weekapaug Breachway is your best bet.

Outer Cape beaches are scenic but get disqualified because the water is too cold.
I agree, I'm from the Montauk area as well and beaches such as Main beach in East Hampton and Indian Wells in Amagansett are up there as well

Reaction Score
Pfffft. Someone got "chapped lips" me thinks :)

Why drive 6 hours when there are beaches that are just as scenic with water you can actually go in without losing your nuts somewhere around your spleen?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was going to say stay away from Narragansett... and that was before today. We went there 2-3 years ago forba family vacation. $20/person/day just to get on the beach. Pass. Parking would have cost more but we were within walking distance. Brown,packed sand, no surf and not much room. Eye candy was average.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I was going to say stay away from Narragansett... and that was before today. We went there 2-3 years ago forba family vacation. $20/person/day just to get on the beach. Pass. Parking would have cost more but we were within walking distance. Brown,packed sand, no surf and not much room. Eye candy was average.
I was there with the kids yesterday. Surf was great, sand is very fine powder (as evidenced by the residue in the laundry after washing the towels), cost $8 per person to get in, kids under 11 are free. It was a bit crowded and they kept moving the swimmers and wave boarders over to accommodate the surfers as numbers grew. Parking near the beach was $5 but we parked on the street a bit away for free. One thing I liked was the surfing lessons they offer. It was amazing watching these 10 year old kids paddling out and then riding decent waves all the way to the shore. I would rate Narragansett the best beach I've been to in the Northeast. There are some good ones on the Cape to but many I've been to had too much seaweed. I've been to Newport Beach and don't care for it. The two times I've gone, the kids hated it because if think seaweed and brown colored water (could have been seasonal thing due to seaweed). Virginia Beach is a favorite of ours.

Reaction Score
All depends how old you are and what you want. Been going to cape for a while now. Spent 10 years in Socal. Trestles was my favorite beach. Spend a lot of time I'm Harwichport. So local spots there. All sorts of cool beaches on cape. Rhode Island is super crowded these days. Jersey is great but the crowd and the stuff near the beach is usually awful. Hamptons and Montauk too expensive. Vineyard and Nantucket too remote. Block Island has some nice spots. Too north is too cold.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
New boneyard death pool. Who is the first yarder to get eaten by a shark this season. Might as well tie the traditional death pool and the traditional shark infatuation together. A good year for it the sharks are hungry and I like Meta.

My money is on the cape cod crowd.
That might be a good bet. Try the night striper fishing in the backwaters of Chatham. Now that there are tons of seals with no natural predators the great whites are finding a new home. Exciting fishing with an added thrill.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom