OT: Best conferences for UConn teams? | The Boneyard

OT: Best conferences for UConn teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I will confess, I'm a bit apprehensive to post this question in the MBB/FB/Conf Realignment forums, as it can get pretty intense in some discussions, however I thought it might be fun to start it here.

What are the top three conferences that would benefit WBB, MBB, and FB, both as separate entities and as a group? Not to be overly confident, but I'm sure it would work no matter where WBB goes - ACC, Big10, Big12, but the other two sports, especially football, are more so in the driver's seat.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
SEC being the richest sports franchise would benefit Uconn as a whole the most, but of the realistic ones and speaking simply about sports teams I would rank them as:
1. ACC - most logical geographically, with moderate football and strong MCBB and WCBB would be the best competitive environment - shorter travel, all the same time zone, traditional rivals, and football should be competitive with most of the schools.
2. Big10 - decent MCBB and WCBB, reasonable travel, football at a competitive disadvantage.
3. Big12 - Long distance travel and somewhat unstable league with TX being the dominant dog.

On a school basis - I would switch the top two - Big10 is an academic powerhouse and a richer league.

That said - any home would be welcome!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I see this discussion pop up on this board every couple of weeks and it's always the same basic discussion. The driver of P5 Conference realignment is CFB, no other sport matters. UConn could win the next 10 Natty's in WCBB and it won't matter, as long as the Football team remains bad, no P5 Conference is going to come knocking. Get an 80K seat facility and win a couple of New Year's Day 6 Bowl Games and maybe, but unless and until then you'll be on the outside looking in. It's all about revenue and market share. Jim "Heisenberg" Delaney is flirting with Texas and Oklahoma as the next potential targets for the B1G.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I see this discussion pop up on this board every couple of weeks and it's always the same basic discussion. The driver of P5 Conference realignment is CFB, no other sport matters. UConn could win the next 10 Natty's in WCBB and it won't matter, as long as the Football team remains bad, no P5 Conference is going to come knocking. Get an 80K seat facility and win a couple of New Year's Day 6 Bowl Games and maybe, but unless and until then you'll be on the outside looking in. It's all about revenue and market share. Jim "Heisenberg" Delaney is flirting with Texas and Oklahoma as the next potential targets for the B1G.
and you repeat the same answer every time... let others voice their opinion and subjects that you may not be interested in reading again and again and again... its a wait and see deal for me.

UConn basketball teams will continue to compete... the football needs a few BIG wins

Reaction Score
Any P5 conference is better than none.

B10 is now richest conference so that would be best.

B12 & ACC are both viewed as less-than-stable, and could be further upended down the road.

But as stated above, any P5 conference is better than the AAC.

Reaction Score
In the article out of Texas re the B12 meeting in Dallas, it says there was some concern about MCBB - they were worried a school would take their share of the NCAA tourney revenue without contributing enough.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
and you repeat the same answer every time... let others voice their opinion and subjects that you may not be interested in reading again and again and again... its a wait and see deal for me.

UConn basketball teams will continue to compete... the football needs a few BIG wins
Is this not a Fan Message Board? I'm glad you read the posts though!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
1. ACC - geographically makes sense... your MBB and WBB programs would fit perfectly. This would elevate the UCONN/ND rivalry to another level. MBB rivalry with Syracuse and the Tobacco Road schools? Yes, please.. Your baseball program (congrats on making the NCAA tournament and winning the AAC!) would do well, but realistically, ACC baseball is ran by UVA, Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC. UCONN should still be competitive though. Your football program would get ran right through by the most southern ACC teams.. but ya'll should be competitive with all of the teams above North Carolina. The good thing here is that your football program will grow exponentially... and since there's no real power team in the Northeast, there's opportunity for UCONN to be that team. You guys play LAX right?.... yeah, that's only the most ACC sport ever.

2. Big 10 - kinda makes sense... MBB and WBB would fit well. Baseball too, may actually be one of the better teams in the league. Football would get destroyed. Your other sports will do well.. The Big 10 likes volleyball and hockey.. ya'll have both, right?

3. Big 12 - makes very little sense.... but could happen anyway (see West Virginia). This should be your last resort but it wouldn't be a complete nightmare. You'd get P5 money, but you would be underneath Texas' lordship and have absurdly long travel times for all of your sports. MBB would get challenged by OU, Iowa State, Baylor, Oklahoma State etc.. WBB would have a nice rivalry with Baylor. Football, eh...

4. SEC - makes no sense... but never say never, screw that.. I'm saying it. Never. The only thing UCONN shares with the SEC is the Atlantic seaboard..

5. Pac 12 - makes ABSOLUTELY no sense... I'm honestly tired of typing at this point. TL;DR - again, this will NEVER happen.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1. ACC - geographically makes sense... your MBB and WBB programs would fit perfectly. This would elevate the UCONN/ND rivalry to another level. MBB rivalry with Syracuse and the Tobacco Road schools? Yes, please.. Your baseball program (congrats on making the NCAA tournament and winning the AAC!) would do well, but realistically, ACC baseball is ran by UVA, Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC. UCONN should still be competitive though. Your football program would get ran right through by the most southern ACC teams.. but ya'll should be competitive with all of the teams above North Carolina. The good thing here is that your football program will grow exponentially... and since there's no real power team in the Northeast, there's opportunity for UCONN to be that team. You guys play LAX right?.... yeah, that's only the most ACC sport ever.

1) ACC did tie a record with 10 NCAA schools this year.... GaTech and NC State have strong histories... 2) Louisville is a baseball Powerhouse... and 3) UNC didnt even make the tournament the last few years.... :D

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
1) ACC did tie a record with 10 NCAA schools this year.... GaTech and NC State have strong histories... 2) Louisville is a baseball Powerhouse... and 3) UNC didnt even make the tournament the last few years.... :D

So are you disagreeing with what I posted?

1. ACC tied a record that the SEC previously set.. ;).. Sure, GT and NC State are fine baseball schools.

2. Louisville is only recently a baseball powerhouse, but yes, they are.. even without any titles.

3. UNC didn't make the tournament but that really doesn't take away from their pedigree. They are an established program in college baseball. A program like UNC can miss the tournament a few years because everybody knows they'll eventually be back... and they will. (I can't believe I'm defending UNC, yuck)

On another note.. Good luck to your Blue Devils in the Columbia regional, except against SC (if it comes to that). We kinda take baseball seriously at South Carolina. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom