OT: Anything fun to do on the actual 4th of July? | The Boneyard

OT: Anything fun to do on the actual 4th of July?

Reaction Score
I've looked online and most everything is set for the weekend. And I still don't get the towns that have their 4th celebration on July 14th.

Does anyone know of anything fun to do with an 8 yr old on the actual 4th this year?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Have a catch then a picnic lunch in a park somewhere is all I got. Too bad you live near the horse track, it's a good place for a kid to learn life and math skills. Did wonders for me.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Provided you stay away from the water park, Six Flags. Last time I went on the Fourth it was remarkably uncrowded.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Provided you stay away from the water park, Six Flags. Last time I went on the Fourth it was remarkably uncrowded.

Wait, Six Flags is still open on the 4th?

How uncrowded are we talking? I might just go...

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
This is for SF New England and it was another hot midweek day a few years ago. Expected it to slammed, but for example the wait on Superman was less than twenty minutes. Everyone was in the waterpark, since it is not a separate admission, until well into the afternoon.

Wouldn't go near the WP.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This is for SF New England and it was another hot midweek day a few years ago. Expected it to slammed, but for example the wait on Superman was less than twenty minutes. Everyone was in the waterpark, since it is not a separate admission, until well into the afternoon.

Wouldn't go near the WP.

Wow really? I was planning on doing SF NE as well. From what I can tell online, the 4th is one of the busier days?

Did you stay for the fireworks?

Also, there's season-pass holder perks on the 4th... free buffet lunch and after park hours from 10-11 the coasters are closed to general public and open for them. Wouldn't that make it more crowded?

Superman is the key coaster at SF NE. So im intrigued that you say there was only a 20 min wait on the 4th

Reaction Score
If you are up for driving to MA, there is a very good parade in Needham (down 95 about 5 miles from MA Pike) and even a 3.1M run before the parade. Do run, watch parade, then a fair. Its still only NOON and you can hit Boston no better place to be for 4th of July with tons going on.

Unfortunately the Pops stuff doesn't start until 8:30 and fireworks around 10 so too late for young children in my opinion. Plus the better day to see the musical parts of the show is the dry run (no fireworks) at the same time on the 3rd as its wayyyyyyyyyyyy less crowded.

http://www.bostonharborfest.com/wednesday.html

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Wow really? I was planning on doing SF NE as well. From what I can tell online, the 4th is one of the busier days?

Did you stay for the fireworks?

Also, there's season-pass holder perks on the 4th... free buffet lunch and after park hours from 10-11 the coasters are closed to general public and open for them. Wouldn't that make it more crowded?

Superman is the key coaster at SF NE. So im intrigued that you say there was only a 20 min wait on the 4th

Now I feel like I need a disclaimer. :p

As I said, this was a few years ago, but it was a warm midweek holiday. They did not have anything special going on.

We left around 4-5 when it did become jammed as the WP/fireworks crowd entered the main park. You'll need to be there when it opens, and as always YMMV.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've looked online and most everything is set for the weekend. And I still don't get the towns that have their 4th celebration on July 14th.

Does anyone know of anything fun to do with an 8 yr old on the actual 4th this year?
Don't know where you're coming from, but Madison is having all its events on the actual 4th this year for the first time. It usually has its fireworks on the 3rd, and then the parade and concert on the 4th, but this year they are all on the same day. Non-residents can pay $40 to park at the town beach (the "Surf Club"), which is a pretty decent facility with a nice beach, lots of picnic tables, basketball courts, horseshoe pits, bocce courts, a huge playground, etc. You can grill and chill to your heart's content, and then have a good vantage point to watch the fireworks. If you walk far enough along the beach, you might even see JC chilling with his family at his beachfront house.

Reaction Score

Bristol, R.I has the largest and oldest 4th of July parade. Something a little closer and one of the most unusual, HAS TO BE WILLIMANTIC, CT'S BOOMBOX PARADE.
Started in the late 80's the Boombox Parade is something that should not be missed. Since it's inception it has made the national news yearly. It is a great time, and even an 8 year old will enjoy it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bristol, R.I has the largest and oldest 4th of July parade. Something a little closer and one of the most unusual, HAS TO BE WILLIMANTIC, CT'S BOOMBOX PARADE.
Started in the late 80's the Boombox Parade is something that should not be missed. Since it's inception it has made the national news yearly. It is a great time, and even an 8 year old will enjoy it.

That's a good idea, the parade has a UConn hoop connectiion. Didn't Wayne Norman come up with the idea?

Reaction Score
Rowayton's (Norwalk) fireworks are the 4th.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
Madison, CT
Don't know where you're coming from, but Madison is having all its events on the actual 4th this year for the first time. It usually has its fireworks on the 3rd, and then the parade and concert on the 4th, but this year they are all on the same day. Non-residents can pay $40 to park at the town beach (the "Surf Club"), which is a pretty decent facility with a nice beach, lots of picnic tables, basketball courts, horseshoe pits, bocce courts, a huge playground, etc. You can grill and chill to your heart's content, and then have a good vantage point to watch the fireworks. If you walk far enough along the beach, you might even see JC chilling with his family at his beachfront house.

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
Madison, CT has one of the great parades. Small town USA. Very patriotic.

Lived there for 12 years when I was 6'6" 225 Fishy

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, what's the pH of that water park?? I'm speculating that every kid in there is pee-ing?

Reaction Score
Watched fireworks from the plane last night flying back from tampa(family) over new york state, possible brewster, really cool. My daughter went nuts. So i say get a last minute flight from bdl to jfk and watch the nyc from the sky(southwest or jet blue). Very good perspective and less crowds..just make sure you time it correctly

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The wife hosted a baby shower so I took my kids and my niece to Bass Pro Shop and then the fireworks store to beat the heat.

I think we're set for the 4th.

557254_312445122181751_273497009_n.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom