OT: Anybody interested in an NCAA Pool?... | The Boneyard

OT: Anybody interested in an NCAA Pool?...

Reaction Score
I set one up. It is pricey at 100 per square, but you have 63 chances to win something, ranging from 50-2000. Check it out at:

NCAA Pool

NUZZI

Reaction Score
Do you have more information on how this works?

Reaction Score
A lot of the info is on the web page. But a little more info beyond that. I will keep a running spreadsheet of the games and winners. At the end of the tournament I will arrange to get all the winners their money. Here are a few of the links from last year's pool. The squares were 10 per, so the money will not be the same:

Link to the squares: Cuse NCAA Pool
Google Docs spreadsheet with the game results: 'Cuse NCAA Pool Tally Sheet
Google Docs spreadsheet with the winners: 'Cuse NCAA Pool Tally Sheet

If you need any more info, feel free to contact me.

NUZ

temery

What?
Reaction Score
A lot of the info is on the web page. But a little more info beyond that. I will keep a running spreadsheet of the games and winners. At the end of the tournament I will arrange to get all the winners their money. Here are a few of the links from last year's pool. The squares were 10 per, so the money will not be the same:

Link to the squares: Cuse NCAA Pool
Google Docs spreadsheet with the game results: 'Cuse NCAA Pool Tally Sheet
Google Docs spreadsheet with the winners: 'Cuse NCAA Pool Tally Sheet

If you need any more info, feel free to contact me.

NUZ

So, first round, your numbers are good for all 32 games. You can win all, or none, or some, with $20 to the winner of each 1st round game.

2nd round, same thing for all 16 games, $100 to the winner of each game.

3rd round, $200 ... and so on.

Correct?

Reaction Score
Correct, except the first round is 50 per win. You have one set of numbers per square for the whole tournament. If your numbers hit 3 times in the first round, you win 150. I will tally throughout the tournament and pay out whatever people won for all rounds.

NUZ

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Correct, except the first round is 50 per win. You have one set of numbers per square for the whole tournament. If your numbers hit 3 times in the first round, you win 150. I will tally throughout the tournament and pay out whatever people won for all rounds.

NUZ

63 chances to win? I can't lose!

Reaction Score
Reminds me of a short time ago when I would have 9 Big East teams always advancing to the second weekend. (and never win) Welp.

Reaction Score
Update: 43 Squares left.

If you want to play, but think the 100 is just too steep and would be interested in splitting a square, then let me know. I will pair up splitters. Email me at web@nuzzi.net. The URL for the pool is: NCAA Pool

Thanks!

NUZ

Reaction Score
I am always stuck with a lousy score in these pools like 5 - 8. Oh wait.......!

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Any update when the numbers will be released?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Done! Just emailed the players.

NUZ
Just curious - over the history of this, are some number combinations better than others or is it totally random for the results? I would imagine it's totally random, but was curious.

Reaction Score
This is only the second year, so I have never really tracked it. This year I added counts of occurrences of each number to one of the spreadsheets. I guess we'll see. I would think over a big sample size, the probabilities would very similar for all numbers, though.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
This is only the second year, so I have never really tracked it. This year I added counts of occurrences of each number to one of the spreadsheets. I guess we'll see. I would think over a big sample size, the probabilities would very similar for all numbers, though.
Id imagine it's pretty random. But it would be interesting to track it over 10 years or so.

Reaction Score
Just curious - over the history of this, are some number combinations better than others or is it totally random for the results? I would imagine it's totally random, but was curious.
My first thought would be having a matching number combination might hurt your odds since the game can’t end in a tie. Other than that I’d say it’s probably completely random.

Reaction Score
My first thought would be having a matching number combination might hurt your odds since the game can’t end in a tie. Other than that I’d say it’s probably completely random.

Yeah, that is true. Maybe I should track the combinations too. I will look into that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Boneyard group is up on ESPN

App is glitching like crazy and I keep having to restart.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Hadn't considered that - I think you may be correct. I think statistically, most NCAA games end with under 9 point differentials particularly after the first round so that would make your assumption correct. I'm pretty sure you want to avoid doubles.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yeah, that is true. Maybe I should track the combinations too. I will look into that.

My guess is this is true with even superbowl pools, and they've been working flawlessly for decades. It's the luck of the draw.

But if you WANT to do something in future pools, you could split the winnings for games that end regulation time in a tie, with the OT winner. If you want to make it really interesting (and create more work for you), make it a three way split if the first overtime end in a tie, etc. Or, my preference, any game that ends regulation in a tie - you personally get an even split.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So far, 15 other people are equally as disappointed in their numbers. :)

True. I've actually been kinda close in a few games. It's a fun pool

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom