OT: Air BnB | The Boneyard

OT: Air BnB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mrs and I are planning on taking kids to Cali (southern) for first time this summer. The wife has been intrigued by this AirBnB that she has heard many good things about. Hoping there might be a yarder or two that have tried this that can share their experiences. It is tempting as it would allow for a more spacious stay and allows us to spread out rather than be cramped in a hotel room.

Interested to hear if anyone on the board has experiences with this and if so would they recommend it??

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have not used Air BnB but we've used VRBO, which is similar, several times all over the country with very good to great results. Like anything else, check the reviews and do enough follow up communication with the owner to satisfy yourself that it's not a scam, etc.

I have many friends who have used Air BnB with mixed results, but usually positive, following the same general guidelines.

Reaction Score
I've used it before and not had an issue. Obviously it's like choosing a restaurant to eat at, everyone is going to have good and bad experiences. I rented a house for a weekend with some friends up in Vermont. It was cheap, the owners were extremely welcoming and nice and came by to make sure we were ok. I would choose it over a hotel.

Reaction Score
I found my 2nd apartment in Bangkok on airbnb! A 250 sqm duplex on the top floor with 5 bedrooms 4 bathrooms and 5 balconies in a prime location for about $1700/month. In NYC that'll get you one of the balconies.

Reaction Score
I've used it a couple times and mostly good results. Make sure that you're not the first person using the house for AirBnB, because some areas/neighborhoods won't allow houses to be rented in that manner. Had an issue with that one time where the person renting the house told us about a week before we were going to VA for a horse race (we had booked 2-3 months in advance) that the house was not able to be rented, but gave us a crappy backup house farther away instead. Didn't come with any of the furnishings (or even silverware) that the original house promised, and she refused to negotiate a new price.

Overall though I would continue using it

Reaction Score
I've used it a bunch and all overseas/Europe. I've never had a problem yet outside of some communication barriers which you won't have seeing as how they should be English speaking. You will get a general sense about the owners through their communication with you. If they're responsive, friendly, and try to vet you out a bit, those are the places I've found to be most agreeable and safe at. I've only felt unsafe at one of them, but it was in Greece during their financial crisis and riots so there was plenty of outside stimulus to impact my feelings.

VRBO is another excellent resource and generally has nicer places.

Reaction Score
I used it in Montreal, and the Lady Bruce and I are using it in London on our honeymoon later this year. I had a great experience. They make sure they verify the heck out of everyone to avoid shenanigans, so it's pretty safe.

Reaction Score
Friends used it to go to LA a year ago and had great results, got an apparently flashy lush pad for cheap, maybe now that the growing pains have somewhat subsided it probably costs a lot more. I'm planning on going out there with them this August and finding an AirBnB with enough beds for all of us to share.

From what I've heard its just like any other online business, do your due diligence and you should be okay but there will be the anomalous bad experience here and there

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If you're skilled at reading between the lines regarding Amazon & Yelp reviews (for example), then go for it. We have had ALL good 'value' experiences in Taos, Ojo Caliente, Santa Fe, Berkshires, Ithaca, Westerly, and Bath, England.

Reaction Score
Mrs and I are planning on taking kids to Cali (southern) for first time this summer. The wife has been intrigued by this AirBnB that she has heard many good things about. Hoping there might be a yarder or two that have tried this that can share their experiences. It is tempting as it would allow for a more spacious stay and allows us to spread out rather than be cramped in a hotel room.

Interested to hear if anyone on the board has experiences with this and if so would they recommend it??

I've done it. I live in NYC in a two bedroom and I put my second room on Air BnB sometimes for extra $. It's pretty awesome. Just follow the ratings of the apartment owner as that is a pretty good indicator of the quality/cleanliness of the apartment/home you would be staying in.

Reaction Score
I have used VBRO a number of times, which is similar to AirBnB, and have had very good experiences each time.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Staying in an awesome Air BnB house on the beach in FLA at the moment. Nice looking, well appointed, clean, right across from the beach, and cheap as chips. Love it.

Like anything, you just have to do your research first, and make sure the person you are renting from seems like a good sort. I've had pretty much all good experiences so far.

Only negative: this house had only a small .5 inch spatula available for breakfasts. Make sure wherever you rent has a proper spatula.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've used it a couple times and mostly good results. Make sure that you're not the first person using the house for AirBnB, because some areas/neighborhoods won't allow houses to be rented in that manner. Had an issue with that one time where the person renting the house told us about a week before we were going to VA for a horse race (we had booked 2-3 months in advance) that the house was not able to be rented, but gave us a crappy backup house farther away instead. Didn't come with any of the furnishings (or even silverware) that the original house promised, and she refused to negotiate a new price.

Overall though I would continue using it

Hope you ripped her a new one in the review section.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Used it 4 times and loved it. Only had 1 somewhat bad experience and it was somewhat my fault for not asking the owner more questions about the place. Thought I was getting a 2 br place but ended up being 1 br and then small kitchen living room. Not the best accommodation for 3 dudes. 2 in the bed one in the pullout

Just do your due diligence

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

I've heard much more bad than good. I really don't recommend it.

Reaction Score
I own a home in Tahoe, how much you willing to pay???

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I own a home in Tahoe, how much you willing to pay???
Unless Tahoe has been moved to Southern CA I don't think it will help the original poster much. Where in Tahoe? My families place is in Tahoe City.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Used it 4 times and loved it. Only had 1 somewhat bad experience and it was somewhat my fault for not asking the owner more questions about the place. Thought I was getting a 2 br place but ended up being 1 br and then small kitchen living room. Not the best accommodation for 3 dudes. 2 in the bed one in the pullout

Just do your due diligence

Lol I can picture it now.

:: clicks off light::

" goodnight bro"

:: alarm goes off next morning::
" good morning, bro. Coffee? "

Reaction Score
Unless Tahoe has been moved to Southern CA I don't think it will help the original poster much. Where in Tahoe? My families place is in Tahoe City.

Truckee

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Truckee
Spent Sunday doing some wine tasting at Uncorked and had lunch at Bar of America. My dad was the Principal of Truckee High School.

Reaction Score
I recommend also e-mailing the host with any question you have. Most are more than happy to answer your specific question that may not have been covered in the descriptions. Overall I have had 2 great stays, 2 good stays and 1 ok stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom