OT-Advice on buying a new TV | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT-Advice on buying a new TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
uconndennis said:
Dude... 8 TV's....?

It's South Florida, we have TV out by our pool plus I have 3 kids with TV in each of their rooms. They just start adding up.

Reaction Score
If you were a gamer that TV would've been a mess by now... Video game images stay stuck on those types of screens after awhile...
True. I'm not a gamer, but I have heard burn in is prevalent on plasmas.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Can you plug it in to a USB port on your computer?
There is a USB port on the remote and I'm sure that's how the guy programmed it in the first instance because I remember seeing it connected to his laptop. I don't have the USB cord that fits it though, and it's an odd connection--looks like the charger port in my second-to-last BlackBerry. The only cord they gave me with the remote was the battery charger and that's a different type of connection, and it's hard-wired to a plug. I did a little bit of reading on-line earlier today, mostly the manual, and they seem to emphasize only having a "certified" technician do it. Not sure I buy that, but it looks like you may also need special software to program it, and I know I don't have that.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
8893 said:
There is a USB port on the remote and I'm sure that's how the guy programmed it in the first instance because I remember seeing it connected to his laptop. I don't have the USB cord that fits it though, and it's an odd connection--looks like the charger port in my second-to-last BlackBerry. The only cord they gave me with the remote was the battery charger and that's a different type of connection, and it's hard-wired to a plug. I did a little bit of reading on-line earlier today, mostly the manual, and they seem to emphasize only having a "certified" technician do it. Not sure I buy that, but it looks like you may also need special software to program it, and I know I don't have that.
Probably micro usb. I have it . What's the make of your universal? I've programmed a bunch . You plug it in to you computer and send me a teamviewer invite and you're golden .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Probably micro usb. I have it . What's the make of your universal? I've programmed a bunch . You plug it in to you computer and send me a teamviewer invite and you're golden .
It's an MX-880 and it appears the make is literally Universal Remote. It's this one.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
@nomar , I'll bet that's a Vizio issue. We have a Vizio in our eat-in kitchen area and it takes far longer to turn on than any of our other TVs (Sony and Samsung). I don't have my universal remote connected to that TV, but I note that the universal remote also has its own delay, and I'm guessing that the combination of that and the excessive Vizio power-on delay might lead the issue you're experiencing.

I have a very good MX-880 universal remote that was fully set up and programmed for me, at an overall cost that was so ridiculously high that I forced myself to forget it once I agreed to buy it. Just yesterday we had all of our Comcast cable boxes replaced and upgraded, and the guy who came to install them said he doesn't mess with the high end universal remotes because he'd just screw it up. Now I am pissed because I have to go back to using two remotes for my main TV until I figure it out, which in my case probably means begging the guy who installed my whole system to let me pay him $50 for him to send one of his workers over my house to do it for me.

I'm over 40 and I love it, but I don't think I can figure out how to program it. Unless...someone out there in Boneyard Nation knows and can post a tutorial?
are you Comcast remotes top-of-the-line now... everything runs thru it with the "lighted keypad" when you touch it?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
@nomar , I'll bet that's a Vizio issue. We have a Vizio in our eat-in kitchen area and it takes far longer to turn on than any of our other TVs (Sony and Samsung). I don't have my universal remote connected to that TV, but I note that the universal remote also has its own delay, and I'm guessing that the combination of that and the excessive Vizio power-on delay might lead the issue you're experiencing.

I have a very good MX-880 universal remote that was fully set up and programmed for me, at an overall cost that was so ridiculously high that I forced myself to forget it once I agreed to buy it. Just yesterday we had all of our Comcast cable boxes replaced and upgraded, and the guy who came to install them said he doesn't mess with the high end universal remotes because he'd just screw it up. Now I am pissed because I have to go back to using two remotes for my main TV until I figure it out, which in my case probably means begging the guy who installed my whole system to let me pay him $50 for him to send one of his workers over my house to do it for me.

I'm over 40 and I love it, but I don't think I can figure out how to program it. Unless...someone out there in Boneyard Nation knows and can post a tutorial?

I agree about Vizio. I use the Direct TV remote for the TV and box. Many times I hit the wrong button that shuts off the TV. In that case, I just put the remoter down and make breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom