OT: 4/20 Songs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: 4/20 Songs

Reaction Score
I think this is the best song James Brown ever did:

Wow, forgot all about this. Spent some early teen years growing up in a multi racial neighborhood. Very much into the Motown and soul of the times. Always would have thought JBs best were "I feel good" and "Papas got a brand new bag".
Your post may simply have an impact on this thread or end it. What a powerful song done over 45 years ago and now more relevant than ever, sad to say.
Great post, I offer the kudos as you can only give one like per and I think this is the bomb on the topic.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Once upon a time, and a very long time ago it was there was a moo cow. No, I mean I knew this guy, his brother and all of Harry's band. Just a terrific guy and a dedicated husband. RIP Harry.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
But this man is still around. Met him once getting out of a car not too long ago here in NYC. He moves real slow now, but he's still vibrant.

Reaction Score
Willie Nelson: Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I'm Gone. Someone please find the video of this one!

Reaction Score
Love this song - the interweave of Grace's and Marty Balin's voices are exquisite, and with the lyrics of "flash, paradise" I figure it's gotta be a drug reference:

Reaction Score
great song, but I always preferred this version with Knopfler and Elton John

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'm one of those guys who was a huge fan of this man. I saw him 4 times in a year and a half. It would have been 5, but I bailed out of Woodstock early Sunday. Once again, RIP buddy. Don't be late.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Magic Carpet Ride, Steppenwolf. Someone post the song please, I'm technically challenged.
Something is wrong with you former hippies here if you can't remember this by The Fraternity Of Man. It's done here by Country Joe and The Fish, most famous for their "Fish Cheer" song (you know, "Gimme and F...). I never saw the FOM, but CJ I must have seen at least twice, maybe 3x. Rooooooolllllll another one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Quote Bigboote: One from the Doors after Jim's death (Other Voices was a really good album)

You bet BB- I esp loved "Ships With Sails"

John Prine's wonderful "Illegal Smile":

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Quote Bigboote: One from the Doors after Jim's death (Other Voices was a really good album)

You bet BB- I esp loved "Ships With Sails"

That's one I've been known to put on repeat. I'd put Other Voices among the top half of the Doors' albums, which is saying a lot. As far as popular culture is concerned, the Doors were Jim to a great extent, but the other three were phenomenal musicians, every one of them, and the Doors wouldn't have been big if not for any one of them.

If you're not familiar with it, you might also want to check out Ray's album "The Golden Scarab". The full album is on youtube. First cut, He can't come today, is amazing.

Reaction Score
If you're not familiar with it, you might also want to check out Ray's album "The Golden Scarab". The full album is on youtube. First cut, He can't come today, is amazing.

Thanks BB, I will check that one out for sure.

Yes, the Doors were talented, all four of them. I always was impressed by their "Words and music by the Doors" approach to the songwriting credits, and it was very true.

Here's a great tune with a distinct drug reference:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Here's another NY-er. Surprisingly I never saw or met him in person. This one is self explanatory.

JordyG

Reaction Score

I don't know if this was about drugs so much as it was about alcohol, prostitutes, and a guy who loves one with eyes wide open.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
This Steely Dan song definitely fits the category.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I don't know if this was about drugs so much as it was about alcohol, prostitutes, and a guy who loves one with eyes wide open.
Over analyze much?...

In the corner
Of my eye
I saw you in Rudy's
You were very high
You were high
It was a cryin' disgrace
They saw your face

JordyG

Reaction Score
Over analyze much?...

In the corner
Of my eye
I saw you in Rudy's
You were very high
You were high
It was a cryin' disgrace
They saw your face
Rudy's in NYC is (was) a bar/hangout on the lower west side. In later years the "pro's" moved further north, but at that time it was around there they were all on the stroll from Greene St to the lower 20's. A Black Cow is an alcoholic drink.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom