Oregon-Uconn game | The Boneyard

Oregon-Uconn game

Reaction Score
Does anyone think this game will get cancelled? It's played on MLK day I believe and that is only a couple weeks away. Is it smart to make a trip to Oregon with all the covid that has happened with the program? I saw Mdoggie has a ticket to the game so I would hate to see him miss out, but stay safe.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think this game will get cancelled? It's played on MLK day I believe and that is only a couple weeks away. Is it smart to make a trip to Oregon with all the covid that has happened with the program? I saw Mdoggie has a ticket to the game so I would hate to see him miss out, but stay safe.
Anything possible but nothing has changed out here in Oregon as far as attending games. Mask up.

Reaction Score
I have third row center court seats and plane tickets up to Eugene. Right now my plan is to go. If the game is played and Mdoggie and any other Bone yarders go, let’s try to get together at half time or B/4 the game(but maybe not too close together!)

Reaction Score
Why would a trip to Oregon be any riskier than trips to Creighton, Butler, or Xavier?
Butler or Xavier is not far, Creighton is another story but that is a required conference game, Oregon is not. Is it worth traveling 3,000 miles on a Monday fly back I don't know Oregon's protocols.

Reaction Score
My suggestion is UConn cancel all non-conference games and use those dates for conference makeups where possible. Depau, in particular should be made up if their scheduling will allow a makeup game in the Oregon, SCar, Tennesseee dates - (I haven't looked)

Survive 'til Paige returns.

Reaction Score
My suggestion is UConn cancel all non-conference games and use those dates for conference makeups where possible.

Survive 'til Paige returns.
Problem with that is, it does zero to help us with a seeding. If we can somehow go 2-1 against Tennessee, Oregon, and SC, that looks much better on our resume. To me, it's the difference between maybe a 3 seed, and like a 6 seed.

What I want to know is, if we do have to cancel those non-conference games and Paige does come back and lights up the BET, what will our seed be? We will probably have earned a 5-6 seed, but her being back and hopefully all of our players healthy again, will certainly be looked at thoroughly by the committee.

Could you imagine being, say, 3rd seeded Duke and hosting a fully loaded UCONN team as your #6 seed the first weekend?

Reaction Score
Problem with that is, it does zero to help us with a seeding. If we can somehow go 2-1 against Tennessee, Oregon, and SC, that looks much better on our resume. To me, it's the difference between maybe a 3 seed, and like a 6 seed.

What I want to know is, if we do have to cancel those non-conference games and Paige does come back and lights up the BET, what will our seed be? We will probably have earned a 5-6 seed, but her being back and hopefully all of our players healthy again, will certainly be looked at thoroughly by the committee.

Could you imagine being, say, 3rd seeded Duke and hosting a fully loaded UCONN team as your #6 seed the first weekend?
Just to be clear, you think UConn will draw a 5 or 6 seed indicating they’re somewhere between the 20th to 28th rated team in the country? And further you think if UConn is back to full strength a couple weeks before tournament starts that won’t be taken into account when seeding? The seeds aren’t based solely on record or strength of schedule…

Reaction Score
I hope they don’t cancel the OOC games in order to complete the BE schedule. This team will need to play some solid competition before the Tourney starts. They won’t find it in the BE. If they are at full strength, seeding in the tourney won’t matter.

Reaction Score
I hope they don’t cancel the OOC games in order to complete the BE schedule. This team will need to play some solid competition before the Tourney starts. They won’t find it in the BE. If they are at full strength, seeding in the tourney won’t matter.
Seeding matters to a degree. Easier opponents in the first two rounds can allow your starters a bit more rest as they move into the Sweet 16 where they usually face good opponents.

But yeah, you just gotta' win no matter who you face.

Reaction Score
At full strength, they glide to the Elite Eight. After that, everyone has a shot at the trophy and seeding becomes moot. I’m just hoping that Geno changes to what the other top teams do and uses his bench to limit minutes. These 4th quarter collapses are partly due to exhaustion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Butler or Xavier is not far, Creighton is another story but that is a required conference game, Oregon is not. Is it worth traveling 3,000 miles on a Monday fly back I don't know Oregon's protocols.

The virus doesn't only spread when you are traveling "far".

I'd assume most of UConn and Oregon's players will have been exposed by MLK day and we'll be trending down nationwide with cases. So I'd expect (hopefully) that game to be played. If it's not played it's either because UConn still can't field a team at that point (which means Creighton, Butler, Xavier would also be cancelled) or it's an Oregon issue.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, you think UConn will draw a 5 or 6 seed indicating they’re somewhere between the 20th to 28th rated team in the country? And further you think if UConn is back to full strength a couple weeks before tournament starts that won’t be taken into account when seeding? The seeds aren’t based solely on record or strength of schedule…
if UConn loses to Depaul or any other Big East team and/or loses two out of three of their out of conference games, it's possible they will fall out of the top twenty........

Reaction Score
The top 20 consists of teams that have done well early but will probably be knocked off a few times because they are in tough conferences and drop in the rankings/seedlings. For some reason parity has yet to reach the BE. The 7 players used in the Louisville game would run the table in their conference.

Reaction Score
The virus doesn't only spread when you are traveling "far".
Right now it's a COVID crap shoot here in the East.
St. John's, Providence, Villanova, etc.
Don't have to go to Omaha, Indianapolis, or Cincinnati to get infected.
Hopefully, in a couple of weeks, things will mellow out a bit and some BB can be played.
I'm REALLY climbing the walls without my Husky Fix.
Much as I concede the importance of getting the conference games in, I'd hate to lose the TN, SC and Oregon games.
Whenever the wounded return, EVERYBODY needs the best competition to get up to speed, whatever the result and impact on seeding.
They probably took away more from the Louisville game than all the BE games from last year put together.

Reaction Score
If we don't play out the rest of our non-conference games and maybe lose to DePaul at DePaul, yes I think we could fall that far. Will we be between 20th-28th? No! But we don't have many quality wins and that is huge in determining seeding.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
At full strength, they glide to the Elite Eight. After that, everyone has a shot at the trophy and seeding becomes moot. I’m just hoping that Geno changes to what the other top teams do and uses his bench to limit minutes. These 4th quarter collapses are partly due to exhaustion.
In 2018-19, the last full year before covid, in round 2 UConn played Buffalo. KLS, Phee and Walker all played 40 minutes. Dangerfield played 36, Williams played 33 minutes. The other 11 minutes went to Olivia who played 11 minutes. Nobody else got in the game. That was KLS 2nd game coming off the back injury that made her miss the AAC Tournament.
UConn was up 73-55 after 3 quarters.
Geno will have to change a ton to start playing bench players minutes.

Reaction Score
If we don't play out the rest of our non-conference games and maybe lose to DePaul at DePaul, yes I think we could fall that far. Will we be between 20th-28th? No! But we don't have many quality wins and that is huge in determining seeding.
Understood, but I was replying to a scenario in which Paige is back, they “light up the BET” and still draw a 5 or 6 seed. My point is if those games are lost, or not played, at the current strength the team is at and then come late February everyone is back and getting in game shape leading up to tournament there is literally zero chance the committee doesn’t take that into account. The metrics have changed lately where it’s weighted heavier on how current performance is leading up to tournament and those losses without a large core of the team are not going to be weighted as heavily.

Reaction Score
Understood, but I was replying to a scenario in which Paige is back, they “light up the BET” and still draw a 5 or 6 seed. My point is if those games are lost, or not played, at the current strength the team is at and then come late February everyone is back and getting in game shape leading up to tournament there is literally zero chance the committee doesn’t take that into account. The metrics have changed lately where it’s weighted heavier on how current performance is leading up to tournament and those losses without a large core of the team are not going to be weighted as heavily.

If everyone is back and playing before selection day they will get a high seed, 2 or 3. Making them a 4 or 5 would put them in the path of a 1 seed in the S16 and the committee won't want to hear that.

Reaction Score
If everyone is back and playing before selection day they will get a high seed, 2 or 3. Making them a 4 or 5 would put them in the path of a 1 seed in the S16 and the committee won't want to hear that.
The committee's only job is to create a fair and balanced bracket.

If UConn can beat Tenn without Paige, then decent shot at a 2. Otherwise a 3/4 seems more likely.

Reaction Score
I just hope they let us know in time to cancel and make other plans if the game does not happen. Birthdays are still a big deal in our family.

Reaction Score
The committee's only job is to create a fair and balanced bracket.

If UConn can beat Tenn without Paige, then decent shot at a 2. Otherwise a 3/4 seems more likely.
You and us all know that sounds sweet but not realistic the OP understood the facts .

Reaction Score
You and us all know that sounds sweet but not realistic the OP understood the facts .
Conspiracies are a dime a dozen.
Proven conspiracies are 1 in a billion.

Reaction Score
It’s funny how we won all those championships with a short roster. Were those teams that much better conditioned? I don’t think it’s exhaustion and, if it was, we should be wondering why! Why are these kids unable to do what many other teams (not just UConn, see Missouri) did? I think it’s more mental than physical.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom