Oregon (1) @ Syracuse (17) - 11/24/19 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oregon (1) @ Syracuse (17) - 11/24/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Sluconn Husky----- I think the fact that you brought Uconn into this thread---which by the way is about how Oregon did against Syracuse and perhaps their strength of schedule. You brought up the comparison with Uconn with respect to them only having 4 players they rely on. While I myself never made that evaluation of Uconn, I pointed out that the media was referring to what they considered a lack of offensive depth behind the first four players on their roster. It was you who related that false comparison in respect to Oregon and Uconns depth, because you took offense at the media's perspective in that regard. Even though that perspective might still leave a possibility for a much more positive outcome. .

Someone with a similar perspecive as you, not long ago, accused me of being a Uconn hater. Very similar to two season ago when I voiced my perspective of the Oregon St guard play. I was accused of being an Oregon St hater just because I pointed out a weakness, that by the way, was corrected by the end of the season. Has the concept of needing a safe space as protection against hate speech morphed into sports already.

A lack of depth is the perspective that the majority of those that follow WCBB has of Uconn's weakness this year. This, as was in the case of Oregon St,, might change in the future. However, at this point in time that is how the team is perceived. Tha does not constitute being haters. Just many people's perspective of reality. Hey, Oregon had a real lack of depth last year and it certainly came back to bite them in that semi-final game with Baylor. In a single-elimination tourney like the NCAA, championship depth is all-important, especially today with the new level of parity in WCBB.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Who said anything about "haters?" I simply pointed out that Oregon relied--and has relied in the past--on a select, small group of players, and that they might be able to get away with that. But also that we shall see if their depth used to crush weak opposition early will still show up against the top-20's of the world. They still may end up relying on 4, perhaps 5 when the chips are down. That was a major reason they fell to Baylor last year.

Also, I do not "take offense" at the perception that UConn is 4 deep offensively because that is an apparent fact at this point.

Reaction Score
Who said anything about "haters?" I simply pointed out that Oregon relied--and has relied in the past--on a select, small group of players, and that they might be able to get away with that. But also that we shall see if their depth used to crush weak opposition early will still show up against the top-20's of the world. They still may end up relying on 4, perhaps 5 when the chips are down. That was a major reason they fell to Baylor last year.

Also, I do not "take offense" at the perception that UConn is 4 deep offensively because that is an apparent fact at this point.
When you say that Oregon relies on only four offensive players following today’s game you do appear to dismiss the role Minyon Moore played in the game with ten assists, and even more importantly pushing the pace in the third quarter. I think Minyon will be there as a factor all year long. Taylor Chavez, though she didn’t shoot well this game has been cited by Graves as perhaps their best shooter on the team this year. Shelley and Winterburn will be big contributors as the season progresses. This year’s team has far more depth than last year’s semi final team. And nobody knows yet what will happen with Sedona Prince’s waiver request.

Reaction Score
Slucon Husky --- Perhaps I did come down too hard on you. I was reacting to a poster on Rebkell who accused me of being a Uconn hater just because I stated an opinion that did not correspond too Uconn being a lock final four team based purely on reputation. I might have gotten the sites mixed up, thinking you were that same poster.

There is nothing wrong with taking a conservative approach when it comes to promoting our favorite teams. In fact, it is much more satisfying when they do better than expected.

One positive with respect to their not having an easy victory against Cal, was Cals win over Arkansas. It appears that Cal might not be as weak as first projected.

Reaction Score
I guess we won't ever know how the Syracuse-Oregon game would have turned out if Syracuse had their AA point guard. She is a special player and I loved watching her perform consistently at such a high level.

Reaction Score
Oregon would have lost by about 40 if you asked anyone living in Benton County.
You got to be kidding. I love my Ducks (UO multiple degreed alumnus) and have lived in Benton County for 40 years. Been to 3 Ducks games already including the win against USA. I still respect the Beavs and have been to 3 of their games as well (including their USA loss). I hope they both are #1 seeds and Sabrina, Ruthie, and company win it all.

Reaction Score
You got to be kidding. I love my Ducks (UO multiple degreed alumnus) and have lived in Benton County for 40 years. Been to 3 Ducks games already including the win against USA. I still respect the Beavs and have been to 3 of their games as well (including their USA loss). I hope they both are #1 seeds and Sabrina, Ruthie, and company win it all.
Yes, odd, uncalled for comment, but I am not surprised [to find Duck fan(s) reacting strongly and negatively to a reasonable, neutral "question" or curiosity posed by a Beaver fan (LoTrader)...simply wondering if results of said game might have a different margin of victory, or God forbid, a different outcome if Syracuse had it's best player]. As far as residency goes, I lived in Benton County for 27 years and knew/know Duck fans in BC and Beaver fans in Eugene/Lane County (and even 1 person who is/was a fan of both).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I suppose you forgot about the USA team. What is it with Uconn fans away from the Boneyard? Uconn has so of the most knowledgable fans in WCBB, but they also have a group of fans that get offended at any post that questions total Uconn superiority for every year into infinity. Posts such as yours exemplify that mindset.. Why are some Uconn fans so threatened by another team being elevated as the unquestionable #1 team? These evaluations at this time of year are just conjecture based on people's early assessments which take in a variety of factors.

None of these ratings will really mean much becoming more viable as the season progresses. There is a lot of time left to expire until the NCAA, and much can happen. Just because Uconn has to play most, if not all their challenging games before the conference games start, does not mean that every team has to do so. Especially if they have a tough conference to get their challenges in. I wonder If some Uconn fans, due to their impressive run of success get as much enjoyment out of the early high ratings as they do the final standings?
Oregon is a very good team and deserves to be ranked number 1. The problem I have is taking anything out of playing against the so called US National Team. Any Team that doesn't Have EDD, Stewie, Maya, Britney, Tina, and Jewell who were on the World team in 2018 isn't the national team.

Reaction Score
Oregon is a very good team and deserves to be ranked number 1. The problem I have is taking anything out of playing against the so called US National Team. Any Team that doesn't Have EDD, Stewie, Maya, Britney, Tina, and Jewell who were on the World team in 2018 isn't the national team.

They beat professionals. Thats enough for any WCBB team. They're clear cut #1

Reaction Score
This ’Team USA’ didn’t include many players that will ultimately be on the national team. But it was made up of all WNBA players, most of whom are or have been all stars. Oregon beat them while playing their true freshmen and role players for significant minutes, especially in the first half. You may not, but most people likely take something out of that win.

Reaction Score
baggerbob said:
"Oregon is a very good team and deserves to be ranked number 1. The problem I have is taking anything out of playing against the so called US National Team. Any Team that doesn't Have EDD, Stewie, Maya, Britney, Tina, and Jewell who were on the World team in 2018 isn't the national team."

Even though Oregon is arguably among the best and possibly the top team in the Nation at least as of/or for now, I think there was a bit of overreaction to the significance of its exhibition win over Team USA. This includes ESPNw and certain other websites/news outlets/WBB pundits.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
baggerbob said:
"Oregon is a very good team and deserves to be ranked number 1. The problem I have is taking anything out of playing against the so called US National Team. Any Team that doesn't Have EDD, Stewie, Maya, Britney, Tina, and Jewell who were on the World team in 2018 isn't the national team."

Even though Oregon is arguably among the best and possibly the top team in the Nation at least as of/or for now, I think there was a bit of overreaction to the significance of its exhibition win over Team USA. This includes ESPNw and certain other websites/news outlets/WBB pundits.
Which should be more concerning is why Stanford and Oregon State did not get the relatively easy win over a super weak US national team. (sarc) in regards to super weak

Reaction Score
Which should be more concerning is why Stanford and Oregon State did not get the relatively easy win over a super weak US national team. (sarc) in regards to super weak
It would have been cool if Stanford and Oregon State had done better, but personally I don't view their losses to Team USA as all that meaningful either. Oregon sustained and improved in the second half, good for them.

Reaction Score
So you don't think if UConn or L'ville beat a similar team of WNBA all stars including Taurasi, Bird, Diggins, Augustus, Fowles, Obwumike, Collier, Gray, Plum, etc would be an accomplishment. I believe it would be as was Oregon's win historic over the US National Team that represented their country to play them.

As for our national team make-up, EDD wanted to be on that team and was hurt as is Stewie. We all hope that they will be back to represent our country for the Olympics in 2020. Maya Moore hasn't played since 2018 and not sure if she will be ready for the Olympics. The other 3 chose to play on international pro teams vs representing the USA on college tour and Olympic prequalifying tourney in Brazil. All national teams have to deal with choices that their players make whether it's professional desires, personal obligations, injuries, or even when players choose to take a stand and not represent their country. I think denigrating that win actually denigrates those USA players (like Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi) who chose to wear our countries uniform against the best they can play. I watched every oen of the 4 college game (two in-person) and that was one of USA best games. Oregon was just better that day and didn't fold like many teams who see those Team USA uniforms.

I have a hard time hearing you call that a "so called US National Team". Show more respect for our players and our country. Sue Bird certainly behaved that way about that win and didn't whine to say that wasn't the best team we coudl assembly. She gave props to Oregon as she shoudl and appreciated how that game will help USA win gold in 2020.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom