Optimism | The Boneyard

Optimism

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Without a doubt, I am a "glass is half empty type guy" and consider myself a "realist" when it comes to sports and fandom. I appreciate the fanatics who blindly support their teams (how much I appreciate some of them is up for debate!). And this team has me almost giddy on the offensive effort adding to the always strong defensive presence Geno/CD demand. There were times last year that our offense was unwatchable. This year, it is a pure joy and it has me looking forward to EVERY game.

I also watch a lot of WCBB on Sling and ESPN+ and seeing the PAC12 on Sunday with Oregon State vs. Stanford tied at 10-10 after Quarter 1 was painful. Watching Baylor and Kansas State limp to a 58-55 game with Baylor only scoring 16 points in the second half was almost unwatchable.

The bottom line is it got me thinking why I was smiling even in the middle of the first quarter last night as the game was close. I am really upbeat on how our offense clicks and our transition game has taken off since our Thanksgiving Holiday tournament. I wasn't worried as I felt Marquette was shooting above their season averages (and UConn was too) but knew our team would push the game and Marquette would not be able to keep up.

I have to remind myself we lost Azzi, Aubrey and Caroline and what the remaining women and coaching staff have done is PURE JOY to watch. I don't want to be the "glass half empty guy" here, I just want to enjoy the team and how they evolve.

Having Paige back has made everyone better and significantly better. I am a season ticket holder for both XL and Gampel and I was offered $300 each for my seats for Saturday which my wife thought we should think about it and my retort was NO WAY, despite it being ND who I want to see run out of the gym, I enjoy the smile I have on my face for the full 2.5 hours I am there watching warmups and the game. Nothing can replace that. Add in the fans and the energy in the arenas and I have to go.

So yes, my fellow BYers, I am optimistic on this team more so than any team since the 2016-17 team that lost to MSU in the semi's. How will this team fare, who knows but I will enjoy the journey and look forward to all who come on board for the ride.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This team is so much fun to watch. They are relentless.

First, the defense we play is a thing of beauty. Constant pressure. Each player's head is constantly looking side to side to know were the ball is. They cut off passing lanes. Frustrating opponents at almost ever turn. They really look like they are having fun with this type of defense.

The offense is so fluid most of the time. Constant movement and great spacing. Setting screens and backdoor cuts. Five players that can score double figures every night. Very impressive for a combo of 3 seniors and 2 freshmen. And they continue to evolve.

I have no idea what the rest of the season holds. But I do know I am going to enjoy every minute of every game!!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I share your enthusiasm! It felt like a trip down memory lane when Duffy commented in the post game that they knew runs would be coming. It’s been a few years since opponents assumed offensive runs from us would be automatic. Once again they are.

I am impressed with both the guards and the posts of SC. Many assume that a team has to have tall, elite posts to stand a chance against them. I believe the opposite. A team whose guards can achieve the difficult task of outperforming theirs, controlling both the offense and defense before the posts get too involved, stands the better chance of prevailing over the team to beat.

If we keep trending this way I believe we can do it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Without a doubt, I am a "glass is half empty type guy" and consider myself a "realist" when it comes to sports and fandom. I appreciate the fanatics who blindly support their teams (how much I appreciate some of them is up for debate!). And this team has me almost giddy on the offensive effort adding to the always strong defensive presence Geno/CD demand. There were times last year that our offense was unwatchable. This year, it is a pure joy and it has me looking forward to EVERY game.

I also watch a lot of WCBB on Sling and ESPN+ and seeing the PAC12 on Sunday with Oregon State vs. Stanford tied at 10-10 after Quarter 1 was painful. Watching Baylor and Kansas State limp to a 58-55 game with Baylor only scoring 16 points in the second half was almost unwatchable.

The bottom line is it got me thinking why I was smiling even in the middle of the first quarter last night as the game was close. I am really upbeat on how our offense clicks and our transition game has taken off since our Thanksgiving Holiday tournament. I wasn't worried as I felt Marquette was shooting above their season averages (and UConn was too) but knew our team would push the game and Marquette would not be able to keep up.

I have to remind myself we lost Azzi, Aubrey and Caroline and what the remaining women and coaching staff have done is PURE JOY to watch. I don't want to be the "glass half empty guy" here, I just want to enjoy the team and how they evolve.

Having Paige back has made everyone better and significantly better. I am a season ticket holder for both XL and Gampel and I was offered $300 each for my seats for Saturday which my wife thought we should think about it and my retort was NO WAY, despite it being ND who I want to see run out of the gym, I enjoy the smile I have on my face for the full 2.5 hours I am there watching warmups and the game. Nothing can replace that. Add in the fans and the energy in the arenas and I have to go.

So yes, my fellow BYers, I am optimistic on this team more so than any team since the 2016-17 team that lost to MSU in the semi's. How will this team fare, who knows but I will enjoy the journey and look forward to all who come on board for the ride.
Hi @Tonyc . Did you steal Defense's login and create a post?!! :p

Reaction Score

Lovely write-up Snarkman…

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Although I am neither a glass half full or a glass half empty, but more a glass lying shattered on the floor type, this is a fun team to watch.

Reaction Score

Same here. I love the sport and I watch pretty much any WCBB game I can and go see as many Syracuse WBB games as possible. Really puts things into perspective.

Great post. :)

Reaction Score
This team is now so much better than the teams we fielded the last two years. For one, as noted above the offense is flowing again and the turn overs are down. This was probably to be expected with the return of Paige, but KK and Ash are also a big contributors to better flow.
The big surprise for me is the improvement on defense. Indeed, in our first loss to State our defense was horrible. And only a bit better the rest of November. But it has really improved since then.

Reaction Score

I am a glass over flowing kind of guy. I have never posted a negative thought about Uconn BB in over a 1000 posts. It defeats what a fan is in my opinion. I always believe no matter how improbable it might seem that it is always possible. The laws of probability are for the underdog as it gives a ray of hope and if it comes true, then great joy. Why burden any team with negative comments that are only for discussion purposes. Example,,,,,,,,, TCU had forfeited 2 games because they could not bench 7 players. They had 4 walk-ons join the team and in their first game back beat CFU on Tuesday. How many posters would believe that was possible. Now I hope TCU has a successful rest of their season. GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score

The team is fun to watch. As for how far they can go, a lot depends on the short term improvement ( by short term I mean Jan-Feb _March ) of Ice and Q. Clearly, KK and ASH can ( and will ) improve as well. But the are already at a high level of play. I think we often see the best of Paige, Nikka and Edwards. Although Nikka has surprised with her shooting ability, and Edwards needs to sharpen hers up. I also like Inez.

mmt

Reaction Score

I have 2 extra tix that are available. Please message me.

Reaction Score

Have to concur with most of what you wrote. The obvious difference between this years's team and last is Paige. I absolutely loved what LLS brought to UConn last season, but a generational talent like Paige is irreplaceable.

The question I keep mulling over is whether the current offensive flow would have occurred if Azzi & Caroline were playing. Something about KK and Ashlynn seems ideally suited to the rhythm of what Geno wants for the offense. The two freshmen, combined with Nika & Paige are mobile, conditioned and can play the type of defense UConn was known for in the glory years.

I feel UConn is capable of beating any team, SC included. However, certain teams with size, particularly at the "3" & "4" spots can/will give UConn fits, especially without Aubrey's availability. Think teams like Texas, with Madison Booker, USC, with JuJu Watkins, LSU, UCLA, Stanford, SC and ND. It's like in boxing, styles can make the difference, and a puncher always has a chance. UConn just so happens to have a skilled boxer, who packs a powerful punch.

Saturday's game will offer a telling indicator to just how far UConn has progressed. While UConn may be at a disadvantage defensively regarding size and rebounding capabilities, they present significant disadvantages to opposing teams, trying to cover, essentially 4 guards. ND will be a test

Reaction Score
glass lying shattered on the floor type
What glass?

Three/four key early foul calls by inept officials and our current defense is shot for the game (against the best teams). You look at the way we play defense now at certain TV camera angles and it's like our players are double images of their offensive opponents, gliding across the floor in tandem. Thing of beauty. But with the current team it's THAT, rather than the flawless communication and switching of past great teams. We do that very well, but not great. It's a defensive style more susceptible to getting screwed up by officials who don't really see the precision of what's going on.

Without paint dominance (the bigs) we simply don't have the offense to make up for a miscalled game against the best teams. That's my fear for deep in the tournament. But finding the positive (against my nature) I'm going to be just that much more pleased when we win it all.

Reaction Score
This Uconn squad is so much fun to watch. We have been spoiled rotten (not complaining) with past Uconn squads. I love that this team, considering who they have sitting on the bench due to injuries, plays with such heart and passion. Not to say Uconn squads in the past didn't play with passion, but this team has been tested physically and psychologically like no other team I can think of in the past. Azzi, Audrey, Jana, Ayanna, and Caroline would be a starting 5 in any school in the country. What's even more impressive is that those five injured players would easily be a top 25 team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

From one glass-half-empty guy to another, I salute this post. My sentiments exactly.

Reaction Score
Paige Paige Paige Paige Paige ... Aren't you all tired of hearing that name?

Nope. Not now. Not ever!

Work your wonders, Magic Girl!!! Inspire your teammates to ever greater efforts with your example, and keep all of us on the edge off our seats.

Reaction Score
This team is now so much better than the teams we fielded the last two years. For one, as noted above the offense is flowing again and the turn overs are down. This was probably to be expected with the return of Paige, but KK and Ash are also a big contributors to better flow.
The big surprise for me is the improvement on defense. Indeed, in our first loss to State our defense was horrible. And only a bit better the rest of November. But it has really improved since then.
I think we are going to look back at the beginning of this year and the injury to Azzi and realize that something really good came out of that depressing time. I think that it was in the aftermath of once again having to deal with the loss of yet another player that Geno’s defensive reawakening took place. Our defense, though always pretty good, had definitely imo slipped over the years and the loss of Azzi and our subsequent struggles, left Geno with no choice but to go small. This forced him to improve the defense and here we are.
I haven’t seen our defense this focused and intense in years and I think it’s pretty clear that whatever success we end up having this season can be directly attributed to Geno’s reawakened focus on the defensive side of the ball! Of course, our offense is good too but our defense is the straw that stirs the drink! This team is so much fun to watch and Geno seems to have a new sparkle in his eye and bit of a spring in his step! I’m enjoying this team more than I have in years!

Reaction Score
In the full or half full glass world I don't have a glass!
But this team brings back memories of other "great" teams such as the '69 Mets, the 1998 NYY, the Celtics of Bill Russell & Bob Cousy, the Knicks of Willis Reed, UConn WBB of 1994-1995, the football Giants Super Bowl champs, the NoCar State team of Jim Valvano, et al!
They play with so much love for the game and each other that it gives someone the belief they will pull each game out somehow!
This team has approximately 70 points out for the season sitting watching the healthy players give 110% every second, even with their mistakes there's a positive vibe coming from the team!
As a UConn fan you can't be anything but proud of each and every one of these 9 athletes!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
From one glass-half-empty guy to another, I salute this post. My sentiments exactly.
We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
Paige Paige Paige Paige Paige ... Aren't you all tired of hearing that name?

Nope. Not now. Not ever!

Work your wonders, Magic Girl!!! Inspire your teammates to ever greater efforts with your example, and keep all of us on the edge off our seats.
Paige can and will go nuts on the court if she has to. This could very well put the NC in play. How's that for optimism?

Reaction Score
They have 5 players on the floor that can catch the ball and they out muscle players on the loose balls. They are scrappy and they are also sound which makes them very good. This weekend is a great test to see how much their team defense makes up for a little less length. I expect them to pass the test with flying colors as long as fouls aren't an issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom