Only Stewie Makes AP First Team All American | The Boneyard

Only Stewie Makes AP First Team All American

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ... where is the list of the second team, third team and honorable mentions. Just googled and even the AP site just had this story and not the damn lists.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Seems fair to me. Stewie makes first team, Stef and Bria make second team, and Moriah and KML make honorable mention. Stewie will be on the wall. Bria and Stef are already there, KML will be next senior night, and Moriah could easily work her way into AP or WBCA recognition as well and get on the wall too. Can you imagine a team with a starting five on the wall??? I think it's almost a forgone conclusion at this point.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it's the right group. All 3 teams look reasonable. Interestingly, our two HMs are playing as well as anyone.

I agree with Alex--4 of the 5 starters will be 2x AAs. Stewie will be a 3-timer. Helluva lineup!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The 5-player team looks about right to me. All 5 of those players are more than deserving.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Moriah should have made the 3rd team this year. There's not a player on that list I would take ahead of her. I know, she's a Soph, UConn already has an embarrassing number of riches and wcbb needs to spread things around, but she IS the reason this team has taken our game to another level on both sides of the ball - perhaps even, the MVP of this remarkable and historic UConn season.

And I'd bet that Gary Blair agrees with me.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
So ... where is the list of the second team, third team and honorable mentions. Just googled and even the AP site just had this story and not the damn lists.

If you read the article Wbbfan posted the 2nd & 3rd teams are at the bottom:

Joining Hartley, Dolson and Loyd on the second team were Louisville's Shoni Schimmel and Nebraska's Jordan Hooper.

The third team includes South Carolina's Tiffany Mitchell, Penn State's Maggie Lucas, Duke's Tricia Liston and Elizabeth Williams and Achonwa.

Honorable Mention
Jillian Alleyne, Oregon; Rachel Banham, Minnesota; Tiffany Bias, Oklahoma State; Brittany Boyd, California; Asya Bussie, West Virginia; Hallie Christofferson, Iowa State; Jerica Coley, Florida International; Diamond DeShields, North Carolina; Aaryn Ellenberg, Oklahoma; Markeisha Gatling, N.C. State; Chelsea Gray, Duke; Dearica Hamby, Wake Forest; Jennifer Hamson, BYU; Isabelle Harrison, Tennessee; Bria Holmes, West Virginia; Natasha Howard, Florida State; Brittany Hrynko, DePaul; Moriah Jefferson, Connecticut; Jamie Kaplan, Tulane; Jessica Kuster, Rice; Samantha Logic, Iowa; Valencia McFarland, Missisippi; Tyaunna Marshall, Georgia Tech; Damika Martinez, Iona; Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Connecticut; Jennifer O'Neill, Kentucky; Haiden Palmer, Gonzaga; Ebony Rowe, Middle Tennessee; Jennifer Schlott, Utah State; Meighan Simmons, Tennessee; Rachel Theriot, Nebraska; Kayla Thornton, UTEP; Courtney Walker, Texas A&M; Aleighsa Welch, South Carolina.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What's the joke? It a 5-player team and the other 4 players deserve to be there. Stef and Bria both made 2nd team.

Look, I get voters want to spread it around (and give more credence to rep), but I personally don't feel Simms is a better player than Dolson. McBride nor Thomas either. If you had to pick a team, who would you choose first? I'd take Dolson over those three. I personally would take Bria over Simms too, because I like her game better, but that is just personal preference.

For me, AA is not the 'most important to your team' nor should it be based on whether one is an AA last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look, I get voters want to spread it around (and give more credence to rep), but I personally don't feel Simms is a better player than Dolson. McBride nor Thomas either. If you had to pick a team you choose first? .

Every one of the 3 players you named would be almost universally picked ahead of Stef, particularly in the scenario you proposed of starting a team.

Reaction Score
Did you see Sims' & Thomas' performances this weekend? Even though the defense could concentrate on them (because their teammates are not nearly as good), they still had great great games.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
KLM is already wall-worthy, I think because of her AA status last year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks - it looks to me as if each of the 36 voters listed 15 players and an honorable mention got at least one vote. Personally the only name that really jumps out at me on the three teams is Elizabeth Williams. She is a good player but I would take a number of others over her including Moriah. The others had really good years and good careers and I don't think their inclusion on each of the teams is out of place - you can argue stats and impact between 3rd team and honorable mentions but it is an argument and not a crazy choice.
I think the honorable mention list is a little long ... I would rather they used a little harder criteria - two votes minimum - not knowing the actual tallies it is hard to be precise.

And while I love Kaleena and she is playing extremely well in the NCAAs this vote occurred before the tournament and based on her body of work in this tough year, someone placing her on their list of 15 best players seems a little forced. I don't recognize all the honorable mentions but suspect there a re a few others on that list that fall into the same category.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Hey KML made honorable mention while missing 12 games...that is pretty good if you ask me. Moriah is a sophomore who turned in an amazing year...everyone knows who she is this year that is for sure... Truth be told she deserves consideration for the nationally most improved player of the year. Bria Hartley rebounded from a tough year (last year). Breanna has been consistent for nearly the entire year...and deserved first team...as a sophomore that don't suck. Dolson turned in a solid year but playing on a team where you have 4 other players who can score...her numbers weren't as high as they would have been if she wasn't surrounded with so much talent. All in all I think we did really good to have one on the first team, 2 on the second team and two with honorable mention.

Reaction Score
Look, I get voters want to spread it around (and give more credence to rep), but I personally don't feel Simms is a better player than Dolson. McBride nor Thomas either. If you had to pick a team, who would you choose first? I'd take Dolson over those three. I personally would take Bria over Simms too, because I like her game better, but that is just personal preference.

One person who disagrees with you is Geno. From the article:

UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "Without question, they are the five best players in America right now."

intlzncster

Reaction Score
One person who disagrees with you is Geno. From the article:

UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "Without question, they are the five best players in America right now."

Yeah well, what's he going to say, the committee blew it? Doubt it. Doesn't need any distractions at this point either.

I'm also willing to bet Geno would take Dolson over any of the players I mentioned, but that is speculation of course.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Every one of the 3 players you named would be almost universally picked ahead of Stef, particularly in the scenario you proposed of starting a team.

And it would be the wrong choice imo. There are a bunch of good guards in WCBB. It's hard to find really good centers in WCBB. There's only a couple a year. On a team where she was featured more, Dolson's numbers would be eye popping.

You need good guards to win championships, that goes without saying, but they are also much more ubiquitous. So from a pool of available players, Dolson offers the best mismatch/difference in return in terms of starting a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom