One of the biggest ?s re Big East haven't seen addressed | The Boneyard

One of the biggest ?s re Big East haven't seen addressed

Reaction Score
We often focus on how good the Big East will be, and how even the worst teams are better than 1/2 the teams in the AAC (or more).

One thing I haven't seen addressed is the officiating. Like many of you, I will ride with Coach Calhoun till I die. I have no ties to anywhere close to Connecticut and named a kid (Connor) and have several rooms in my house adorned with Husky stuff. The reason is Coach Calhoun. Always us vs. the world, outwork, out-tough teams and 2 PGs in starting lineup. Underdogs. I could go on and on....

But when we were in the Big East, he seemed to have some nemeses (nemesis plural?) in the form of a referee contingent that always seemed to job us. Are these guys retired or still bumping around?

Some I remember him having issues with most
1) Tim Higgins
2) John Cahill
3) Jim Burr (can't remember he might have been the worst)

4)*Ted Valentine (in AAC, now right?)

Can't wait to hear Raftery again. CANNOT F'IN WAIT!!!

But have been wondering about these old refs if we see them again...

Reaction Score
We often focus on how good the Big East will be, and how even the worst teams are better than 1/2 the teams in the AAC (or more).

One thing I haven't seen addressed is the officiating. Like many of you, I will ride with Coach Calhoun till I die. I have no ties to anywhere close to Connecticut and named a kid (Connor) and have several rooms in my house adorned with Husky stuff. The reason is Coach Calhoun. Always us vs. the world, outwork, out-tough teams and 2 PGs in starting lineup. Underdogs. I could go on and on....

But when we were in the Big East, he seemed to have some nemeses (nemesis plural?) in the form of a referee contingent that always seemed to job us. Are these guys retired or still bumping around?

1) Tim Higgins
2) John Cahill

Higgins retired in 2012, Cahill in 2013, and Burr in 2015. Valentine is still working games in the AAC and SEC.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And you can expect plenty of AAC refs to show up in BE games. These guys and gals work 5-6 days a week for multiple conferences.

Reaction Score

1) Tim Higgins
2) John Cahill

Tim Higgins was the best. On March 29, 1999 he refused to call charges when Duke players flopped. That was a very well officiated game.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, no more technicals for "sarcastic clapping".

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
And you can expect plenty of AAC refs to show up in BE games. These guys and gals work 5-6 days a week for multiple conferences.

They very rarely cross over between AAC and Big East. The AAC splits their pool with the SEC and one of the smaller southern conferences, I think A Sun.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Checked conference-only games worked last season using KenPom:

Brian O'Connell did three AAC conference games and 11 Big East conference games
Michael Stephens did 7 AAC, 14 Big East
Roger Ayers did 0 AAC, 7 Big East
Brent Hampton did 0 AAC, 16 Big East
John Gaffney did 0 AAC, 12 Big East
Tim Clougherty did 0 AAC, 12 Big East
Pat Driscoll did 3 AAC, 13 Big East
Nathan Farrell did 0 AAC, 9 Big East
Tony Chiazza did 0 AAC, 14 Big East

That's 9 of the top whistles in the sport. They combined for 13 AAC games and 94 Big East games.

Reaction Score
Good news....Higgins and Burr are gone. every fan base thought they sucked

Reaction Score
Yeah it should be quite a step up. You know you're in good hands when you see Roger Ayers on the call.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Watched a good amount of Big East this year. Two things I am not worried about: officiating and production quality. The BE is a step up in all regards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom