2024 Recruiting: - One more potential add? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: One more potential add?

Reaction Score
Last year Cam Spenser did not commit to UConn until June 6. I guess I need to brace myself for at least another month of this starting lineup guessing game before the roster is even finalized.

Maybe we should have movies released a week after they just started shooting to follow this thought process.
Yeah but grad students declared late too. He declared on May 19th for the Portal. This year they have to declare by May 1st. I'm sure most of the guys will be gone by June 6th.

Reaction Score
The next date we need to worry about is the withdrawal deadline from the NBA draft to know what AK is doing. If we add anyone else, it won't be until after AK decides to leave

Reaction Score
Yes, he would have started over Cam.

Uconn Huskies Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Jk
Well, the letter of his first name, precedes the letter of Spencer's first name, so on that basis he is ahead of Spencer.

On the basketball court, a different story. I only saw Mahaney against us last year, and liked his game, but Cam's swagger, BBIQ, overall skill set of rebounding, creating loose balls, passing and even blocking a shot here and there , seems to be a more comprehensive package.

Reaction Score
Yeah but grad students declared late too. He declared on May 19th for the Portal. This year they have to declare by May 1st. I'm sure most of the guys will be gone by June 6th.
I hope so…

It would mean that we will have time to get the starting lineup agreed to on the BY as well as everyone’s minutes per game. Hurley & staff are waiting on us!

Reaction Score
Would love a more traditional big bodied PF that could take some tough defensive assignments. Our potential frontcourt of AK and Samson could get out muscled by some bigger frontcourts.
I keep wondering why Malik Reneau from Indiana didn't enter the portal and come to the Huskies........

Reaction Score
If Karaban stays, then probably, but both will be significant minutes. Like 2023, I think we will run an 8-9 deep rotation with little drop-off and few playing more than 20-25 minutes, exhausting the opposing team.

If Karaban leaves, then I think it Stewart who starts with McNeely, Mahaney, Hass, and Johnson. Arguing who is playing the 3 or 4 is a moot point, I think the two forward positions (or even the forward and off-guard positions) will be interchangeable and in name only.
Stewart reminds me of Andre his first year in Storrs, but his outside shot is better at this stage.

Reaction Score
Well, the letter of his first name, precedes the letter of Spencer's first name, so on that basis he is ahead of Spencer.

On the basketball court, a different story. I only saw Mahaney against us last year, and liked his game, but Cam's swagger, BBIQ, overall skill set of rebounding, creating loose balls, passing and even blocking a shot here and there , seems to be a more comprehensive package.
I think you missed the “jk” under my GIF.

Reaction Score
The next date we need to worry about is the withdrawal deadline from the NBA draft to know what AK is doing. If we add anyone else, it won't be until after AK decides to leave
Which kind of sucks because it’ll be so late into the process.

Reaction Score
Which kind of sucks because it’ll be so late into the process.
hopefully he gets the feedback he needs from nba teams and doesnt wait until 5/31 to make his decision.

Reaction Score
hopefully he gets the feedback he needs from nba teams and doesnt wait until 5/31 to make his decision.
That’s the hope. is it pretty likely we would add in the portal if he stays in the draft? or would hurley be okay with what we’ve got?

Reaction Score
That’s the hope. is it pretty likely we would add in the portal if he stays in the draft? or would hurley be okay with what we’ve got?
I wouldn't be surprised if we add another guy - there will be plenty of guys still out there at the end of this month. BUT I wouldn't expect us to necessarily go big game hunting - just thinking it's a bigger opportunity for Stewart and McNeeley.

Reaction Score
Last year Cam Spenser did not commit to UConn until June 6. I guess I need to brace myself for at least another month of this starting lineup guessing game before the roster is even finalized.

Maybe we should have movies released a week after they just started shooting to follow this thought process.
You should take all the energy you're devoting to these weird complaints and funnel it towards spelling Cam's name correctly.

Reaction Score
They’d need to add someone. Ideally a good player at his spot, but if nothing else, they’d need a developmental type player to help fill out the roster for practices and additional depth. I just don’t see how the staff could look at losing Karaban and think: we’ll be fine as is. He’s such a huge piece. Obviously you’re not replacing him but I’d have to think they’d put the full court press on someone in the portal that could at least give them some bench minutes.

Reaction Score
Outside of Karaban (if he returns) and possibly Diarra (at least for the beginning of the season), I truly do not understand how anyone can be as sure as I’ve seen many on this board about the starters. Even with Mahaney, it’s conceivable to me that Ball absolutely lights the world on fire this off-season and just takes a starting spot.
I agree about Solo. If that happens, then Aidan goes to the bench. Liam is too darn silky. I think Solo and Liam together???? Talk about spreading the floor.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Watching the podcast, it is clear that Norlander is not talking about another player but a mother Hurley portal update (tweet).

UConn will have 12 scholarship players again next year. The 12th will either be Karaban or a portal PF.

Reaction Score
All of these new players (Reed, Mahaney, McNeeley, Abraham and Nowell) will still need to learn our offensive and defensive schemes. Ball, Stewart, and Ross are in good position to compete for starting positions having been under this system for a year now (maybe not Ross). The practices will determine which players will win out the starting 5.

Reaction Score
All of these new players (Reed, Mahaney, McNeeley, Abraham and Nowell) will still need to learn our offensive and defensive schemes. Ball, Stewart, and Ross are in good position to compete for starting positions having been under this system for a year now (maybe not Ross). The practices will determine which players will win out the starting 5.
That's why Hurley and the staff are happy these guys didn't make a move in the portal.. They are invested in the process and running it back.

Reaction Score
I agree about Solo. If that happens, then Aidan goes to the bench. Liam is too darn silky. I think Solo and Liam together???? Talk about spreading the floor.
People who watched a lot of Solo in HS said he was our most talented recruit.

Reaction Score
If AK stays in the draft I’d really like a grad transfer stretch 4 to backup Stewart for 15 mpg. Someone who wants to help us 3peat but won’t push Abraham out of the rotation for more than a year. Is that too much to ask?

Diarra 25 / Nowell 15
Mahaney 25 / Ball 15
McNeeley 25 / Ball 10 / Ross 5
Stewart 25 / Transfer 15
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

Bench: Abraham / Singare

25: Diarra / Mahaney / Ball / McNeeley / Stew
20: Reed / Johnson
15: Nowell / Transfer
5: Ross

Online statistics

Members online