On this date, 2011: Samarie Walker | The Boneyard

On this date, 2011: Samarie Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So my Facebook feed brought up the memory that, on this day in 2011, we got the official word that Samarie Walker had left the team. I was really bummed because she had flashes of greatness. That led me to finding out what happened to her after Kentucky and beyond. I always felt as if she struggled throughout her career— and I wasn’t wrong.

This article talks about that (and briefly about Naomi Osaka’s mental health struggles) and I wonder if student athletes today are better about asking for help when they need it or if college athletic programs are better at recognizing when kids need some (or likely, somewhere in the middle). The article mentioned that Auriemma was critical of Walker and so she left. We all know that Geno appears to have changed over the years (and I say “appears,” because we watch from the outside) and if part of this change includes more formal processes about— and a better understanding of— kids’ mental health.

Here’s the article; I’m really glad Samarie is doing well these days. I would’ve loved to have seen a healthy Samarie play at UConn for four years.

Reaction Score
So my Facebook feed brought up the memory that, on this day in 2011, we got the official word that Samarie Walker had left the team. I was really bummed because she had flashes of greatness. That led me to finding out what happened to her after Kentucky and beyond. I always felt as if she struggled throughout her career— and I wasn’t wrong.

This article talks about that (and briefly about Naomi Osaka’s mental health struggles) and I wonder if student athletes today are better about asking for help when they need it or if college athletic programs are better at recognizing when kids need some (or likely, somewhere in the middle). The article mentioned that Auriemma was critical of Walker and so she left. We all know that Geno appears to have changed over the years (and I say “appears,” because we watch from the outside) and if part of this change includes more formal processes about— and a better understanding of— kids’ mental health.

Here’s the article; I’m really glad Samarie is doing well these days. I would’ve loved to have seen a healthy Samarie play at UConn for four years.
Me too.

But these are all teenagers/young adults we talk about. They have to try things to find out who they are. “Mental health” describes not just pathology but also normal human development.

I too wish that Samarie had stayed. But to suggest that Geno was hard on her as the reason she left is not fair to Samarie as well as Geno. Who knows why she left? Certainly not this newspaper writer.

Reaction Score
Me too.

But these are all teenagers/young adults we talk about. They have to try things to find out who they are. “Mental health” describes not just pathology but also normal human development.

I too wish that Samarie had stayed. But to suggest that Geno was hard on her as the reason she left is not fair to Samarie as well as Geno. Who knows why she left? Certainly not this newspaper writer.

I believe her reason for leaving was discuss. Pretty sure there’s a thread somewhere. I think she was ready to quit all together and Maya helped her through it. I dont think anyone was to “blame”

Reaction Score
Sorry. I didn't mean to suggest that Samarie left because Geno was hard on her; rather, that she was not feeling healthy enough to get through what was a difficult time for her. Indeed, he's hard on lots of players.

Reaction Score

What changes do you feel Geno has made? In watching him give "feedback" today, particularly the freshmen, it seemed to be typical Geno.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

Thanks for sharing and linking the article which I thought was really well written. It’s an important topic. One of my kids went through terrible experiences even before she was a teenager and there were times we thought we might lose her.

I am so proud that in the long term, she didn’t let her struggles define her; rather, she used them to strengthen her and she now is an awesome therapist who works to help those that much of society turns its back on.

I realize that the culture of team basketball ball has changed rapidly, but I wonder, if one takes Walker’s quotes in the article at face value, if her roommate at UConn had an inkling. I am thinking about Walker saying she had trouble even being motivated to get out of bed - a classic symptom I believe of depression.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing and linking the article which I thought was really well written. It’s an important topic. One of my kids went through terrible experiences even before she was a teenager and there were times we thought we might lose her.

I am so proud that in the long term, she didn’t let her struggles define her; rather, she used them to strengthen her and she now is an awesome therapist who works to help those that much of society turns its back on.

I realize that the culture of team basketball ball has changed rapidly, but I wonder, if one takes Walker’s quotes in the article at face value, if her roommate at UConn had an inkling. I am thinking about Walker saying she had trouble even being motivated to get out of bed - a classic symptom I believe of depression.
Child rearing is not linear as you point out so well. Glad your daughter got to where she is.

Just a thought about depression. Everyone has trouble getting out of bed at times. That’s not “clinical” depression which is a very severe condition wished on no one.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Just a thought about depression. Everyone has trouble getting out of bed at times. That’s not “clinical” depression which is a very severe condition wished on no one.

You make a great point and clarification and I thank you.

Heck - on winter mornings here in Wisconsin’s north woods, when it’s often near or below zero, I’d love to stay within the confines of my flannel sheets longer than is practical. Two golden retrievers are at fault here!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
We are done with the Samarie psychoanalysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom