Omar Calhoun.............. | The Boneyard

Omar Calhoun..............

Reaction Score
With a title like that I was expecting to read something tragic.

Reaction Score
After his freshman year, I thought this kid was on a Rip Hamilton trajectory. He was money from the mid-range his freshman year. Then the hip problems came, and then he was miscast as a spot up 3 point shooter.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
After his freshman year, I thought this kid was on a Rip Hamilton trajectory. He was money from the mid-range his freshman year. Then the hip problems came, and then he was miscast as a spot up 3 point shooter.

I recall a statistic saying he was one of only a handful of freshman in the Calhoun era to average 10ppg.

Really a shame the injuries derailed him, but he stuck with the program and definitely had some moments later in his career as well (road game at Florida).

Happy to see him doing well.

Reaction Score
Rip Hamilton trajectory, lol.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I recall a statistic saying he was one of only a handful of freshman in the Calhoun era to average 10ppg.

Really a shame the injuries derailed him, but he stuck with the program and definitely had some moments later in his career as well (road game at Florida).

That info could have come in handy earlier this week.

Reaction Score

The Ohio State game in Gampel his senior year is one of my favorite games ever. So great to see him stick with the program. When he was actually healthy his senior year he was a useful player again. Good guy, too.

Reaction Score

I don’t think he ever played for Calhoun. But he stuck with his commitment with the new coach (KO) and the ban his freshman season which I have a lot of respect for.

Reaction Score

Happy to see him doing well.[/QUOTE]
He will love Italy
Unlucky career at UConn but fortunately still can play . His future was in doubt with that hip problem.
I don’t think he ever played in the Calhoun era. 2012/13 was his freshman year.
When you look at the top recruits since then.
Calhoun hip problem.
(Although maybe no NC if he was healthy )
2014 -15? is a different team with one more shooter a great team if DD stayed also.
2015-16 is deeper if he had stayed four years.
Hamilton 2 years and done
One more year and 2016-17 is completely different .
Adams great but unfinished career
Gilbert has already lost two years
We have had some serious bad luck with franchise type recruits.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I put that stat out there. It reads like a who's who of UConn basketball players.

Calhoun/Ollie era freshman to average 10+ ppg:

89-90: Nadav Henefeld (11.6 ppg)
91-92: Donyell Marshall (11.1 ppg)
93-94: Doron Sheffer (11.9 ppg)
93-94: Ray Allen (12.6 ppg)
96-97: Richard Hamilton (15.9 ppg)
97-98: Khalid El-Amin (16.0 ppg)
00-01: Caron Butler (15.3 ppg)
01-02: Ben Gordon (12.6 ppg)
04-05: Rudy Gay (11.8 ppg)
06-07: Jerome Dyson (13.8 ppg)
10-11: Jeremy Lamb (11.1 ppg)
11-12: Andre Drummond (10.0 ppg)
12-13: Omar Calhoun (11.1 ppg)
14-15: Daniel Hamilton (10.9 ppg)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don’t think he ever played for Calhoun. But he stuck with his commitment with the new coach (KO) and the ban his freshman season which I have a lot of respect for.

Good catch - that is correct. Omar's first season was the tourney ban year under KO.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I put that stat out there. It reads like a who's who of UConn basketball players.

Calhoun/Ollie era freshman to average 10+ ppg:

89-90: Nadav Henefeld (11.6 ppg)
91-92: Donyell Marshall (11.1 ppg)
93-94: Doron Sheffer (11.9 ppg)
93-94: Ray Allen (12.6 ppg)
96-97: Richard Hamilton (15.9 ppg)
97-98: Khalid El-Amin (16.0 ppg)
00-01: Caron Butler (15.3 ppg)
01-02: Ben Gordon (12.6 ppg)
04-05: Rudy Gay (11.8 ppg)
06-07: Jerome Dyson (13.8 ppg)
10-11: Jeremy Lamb (11.1 ppg)
11-12: Andre Drummond (10.0 ppg)
12-13: Omar Calhoun (11.1 ppg)
14-15: Daniel Hamilton (10.9 ppg)
Would love to see another guard in the Sheffer mold.

Reaction Score
Would love to see another guard in the Sheffer mold.
Never seen him play in person but it looks like Brendan Allen might be as close as Sheffer as we had in the past decade - minus the experience however.

Reaction Score

Actually, that's the bizarre thing.

They said that he played his entire freshman year with a hip issue. It was after the surgery that he wasn't the same guy.

Reaction Score
It wasnt the surgery . It was the poor trainer staff on mens side . Thats why they had so many injuries . Hopefully he not still there otherwise I worry about the health and recovery of the mens team athletes

Reaction Score
It wasnt the surgery . It was the poor trainer staff on mens side . Thats why they had so many injuries . Hopefully he not still there otherwise I worry about the health and recovery of the mens team athletes
This is a bad take; Doran is great.

Reaction Score
Good catch - that is correct. Omar's first season was the tourney ban year under KO.
My understandings is it wasn’t an injury it was a some kind of degenerative hip problem . That could have been crippling ,apparently the surgery was the best for him as he is still playing instead of walking with a cane or worse.
Blaming the training staff seems like a cheap shot. Maybe his promising UConn career never happened but he is still making money playing the game he loves maybe the training staff made that possible.
Have we really had a lot of injuries?
Larrier s ACL and some bang ups.
Lack of depth has magnified the problem.
Guys playing too many minutes lead to some of them especially Jaylen’s
In the first 11 games last year JA averaged 41 minutes a game in a 40 min game
that’s beyond astounding .
Gilbert like Calhoun came here with their issues.

Reaction Score
The truth is the truth and truth will set you free!!.
How You know Doran is great has he ever rehabilitate you ?
Doran is good for taping ankles maybe.

Reaction Score
Don't get me started . You're not the only UCONN Fan that follows the program.
Under certain people's watch players got hurt and the trainer was suppose to rehabilitate them. The player is not supposed to keep getting hurt from the same injury. That's what the trainer is there for. Right?
Doran is a great guy with a great smile- I get that part.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Actually, that's the bizarre thing.

They said that he played his entire freshman year with a hip issue. It was after the surgery that he wasn't the same guy.

It was chronic and only going to get worse. And it wasn't just one hip...but both! Double hip surgery has to take a toll. They made a mistake not redshirting him that year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom