OK Who Guards JuJu? | The Boneyard

OK Who Guards JuJu?

Reaction Score
I have been thinking about this and could frankly come up with many answers. Whoever it is, it will be an exhausting assignment. Paige is undersized for the role, but could be the best, Nika and KK are known for their defense, but if JuJu gets inside she can shoot over them, and I wouldn't rule out putting AE on her for part of the game either. Then we have the question of double teaming her, which I think I would do if she was posting up Nika or KK.

Lots of possibilities all with their respective trade offs, but given the choices, I think I would lean toward giving her multiple looks so she doesn't get comfortable against anyone.

Reaction Score
The mistake a lot of teams make is worrying about how to stop the superstar which isn't going to happen and they let a role player beat them. I would play her straight up, shoot her 40% and try my best to rebound the basketball. This game is not a tough one unless UConn gets into foul trouble inside.

Reaction Score
I have been thinking about this and could frankly come up with many answers. Whoever it is, it will be an exhausting assignment. Paige is undersized for the role, but could be the best, Nika and KK are known for their defense, but if JuJu gets inside she can shoot over them, and I wouldn't rule out putting AE on her for part of the game either. Then we have the question of double teaming her, which I think I would do if she was posting up Nika or KK.

Lots of possibilities all with their respective trade offs, but given the choices, I think I would lean toward giving her multiple looks so she doesn't get comfortable against anyone.
Nika and Paige if necessary. Nika to start the game on her.

Reaction Score
I was thinking this same thing. Her size is going to present a big problem. Paige is the only one who could hang with her, but it’s a big chance to take, she will score at will against Nika. She’s kinda tall but moves like a small guard KIND OF! Sneaky shifty. She will take bad shots, so we have to make her rush. Honestly I dont think we have anyone who can guard her, so stopping her is on Geno and the staff to figure out how to make it tough on her. I’ve watched a lot of her and she does get frustrated and will take bad shots. Still young in that way. There’s another girl who rebounds well and can score when she gets hot, I forget her name. Other than that we are good. No foul trouble and it will be a winnable game.

Reaction Score
It's a great question. As soon as the bracket was announced I thought of it. Initially I thought Nika for sure. But juju draws so many fouls. Then I think about Nika and fouls. Lol. I think I still start with Nika but be mindful of her foul trouble. Like she can't have more fouls than quarters played. If she does then I just put Ashlyn on her. I think Paige is a good matchup but I think they typically have 2 bigs

Reaction Score
It's a great question. As soon as the bracket was announced I thought of it. Initially I thought Nika for sure. But juju draws so many fouls. Then I think about Nika and fouls. Lol. I think I still start with Nika but be mindful of her foul trouble. Like she can't have more fouls than quarters played. If she does then I just put Ashlyn on her. I think Paige is a good matchup but I think they typically have 2 bigs
I’m no expert here and I could totally be wrong but I too would start with Nika even though I believe Nika can’t stop her because I think her and Ashlynn’s feet aren’t quick enough. Paige or KK can frustrate her until she posts them up, which she will.

Reaction Score
My guess is Geno will switch off Nika (primarily to deny her the ball), KK and Q

Reaction Score
Probably Nika to start, but it would make sense to rotate others in from time to time to give Nika a break and try to prevent foul trouble.
It's probably exhausting for one player to try and cover a player as active as Watkins for 40 minutes while trying to run the point on the other end.

Reaction Score
The best would have been Aubrey but...i guess Nika will start on her and hopefully she does not foul out in a short time...you don't want Paige guarding her unless it's the last 5 min. of the game...
Absolutely. Aubrey was built for this assignment. But tonight it has to be Nika, with all the caveats: don't foul out, and don't send her to the foul line. The goal isn't to prevent her from scoring 20-30. It's to prevent her from lifting the play of her teammates. And try to keep her off the free throw line.

Reaction Score
Nika on the perimeter with a hard deny but Paige or Ashlynn will three quarter stunt should she start dribbling and enter the paint. If I'm Geno, I trap and collapse should she enter the paint and trap her on screens involving her.

Juju needs to be a passer this game

Reaction Score
We can't have ANYONE in foul trouble.
Exactly. Let JuJu shoot 40 times if she wants, but make sure the supporting cast, who will not get the star treatment from the refs, get nothing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nika absolutely gets the call to start the game. As a reminder, last year in Portland Nika gave Caitlin Clark fits in UConn’s win over Iowa in the Phil Knight classic. Yes Watkins is a few inches taller, but she likes to shoot in rhythm. Nika is a relentless pest on defense who will make Watkins very uncomfortable.

Reaction Score
Yes Watkins is a few inches taller, but she likes to shoot in rhythm.
I wonder how tall Juju really is. USC lists her as 6'2" but she doesn't look it to me. Of course, camera angles can be very deceiving and I've never seen her in person.

Reaction Score
Many people take turns with some doubles.
I'm sure Gottlieb's strategy will be to send Juju into the lane to get fouls on Aaliyah. That's what Nika and Paige and Ash have to prevent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom