Oh. Poor Baylor without their PG | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Oh. Poor Baylor without their PG

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That is true but it was against Utah which was a running game where Utah used zero defense. Baylor is a good defensive team which made transition plays much harder. Mühl is an excellent passer, play maker, and defender which would have added a lot for UConn in this game and taken away a lot of responsibilities fom Paige.
Muhl is a solid defender but I wouldn't label her an excellent passer and playmaker. Seems a little bold for someone averaging 5 points and 2.8 assists. On the season UCONN averages more assists per game without Muhl in the starting lineup than with her in it. Worth noting, Muhl didn't start in any of the 5 games vs. stronger opponents either (Iowa, Tennessee, Baylor, South Carolina and Arkansas).

I don't doubt she would've been a nice option for UCONN to have, but comparing what she brings to UCONN vs what Richards brings to Baylor isn't comparable other than they're starting PGs, although Muhl has only started in half of UCONN's games so even that isn't an apt comparison.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Muhl is a solid defender but I wouldn't label her an excellent passer and playmaker. Seems a little bold for someone averaging 5 points and 2.8 assists. On the season UCONN averages more assists per game without Muhl in the starting lineup than with her in it. Worth noting, Muhl didn't start in any of the 5 games vs. stronger opponents either (Iowa, Tennessee, Baylor, South Carolina and Arkansas).

I don't doubt she would've been a nice option for UCONN to have, but comparing what she brings to UCONN vs what Richards brings to Baylor isn't comparable other than they're starting PGs, although Muhl has only started in half of UCONN's games so even that isn't an apt comparison.
Really?? We shall have to agree to disagree then. Since day 1 she has been known for her toughness and passing ability. She didn't start until after the Arkansas game so her stats would of course seem lower and she was hurt in the early season and missed games and has missed the last 2 games due to injury (Utah and Baylor). It would appear you have not watched the entire season with those observations.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Really?? We shall have to agree to disagree then. Since day 1 she has been known for her toughness and passing ability. She didn't start until after the Arkansas game so her stats would of course seem lower and she was hurt in the early season and missed games and has missed the last 2 games due to injury (Utah and Baylor). It would appear you have not watched the entire season with those observations.

They played Iowa, not Utah. And she's missed 3 games (the Syracuse game as well)

And my comments were in regards to team stats, not individual stats. The team had more assists per game without her as a starter than with her as a starter. The team averages more PPG without her in the lineup than in the lineup. I haven't watched every game, but from my observations she's a solid player. Like I said, it would've been helpful to have her in the lineup, but comparing her impact to UCONN vs. Didi's to Baylor just doesn't compare.

Reaction Score
Her stats aren't that different from Richards's. Richards averages one more point and less than one more rebound per game. I suspect if not for significantly less playing time due to injuries, Muhl would close that gap and perhaps exceed Richards's averages. Other than the season's cumulative statistics for each player I don't know what else people are looking at to compare the players. I guess if someone says that Richards is the vastly superior PG we're just supposed to take their word for it because they know better than what the numbers show.

Reaction Score

She started against SC. She was also out there at the end of regulation with Edwards, while Williams and Nelson-Ododa were on the bench for ineffectiveness. Our lineup to close regulation and start OT was Edwards-Griffin-Westbrook-Bueckers-Muhl. Then Williams and ONO came back in with 1:40 left down 3 - but replacing Edwards and Griffin.

That change was made after the Arkansas loss largely for defensive purposes (actually CW missed a game at St. John’s with an ankle sprain and Muhl came in - had 11+6 with four steals and hasn’t been out since). She started at Marquette - a quality opponent on a level with Iowa - right after that and had 8 points, 9 assists and 5 steals. She also played well against them in the championship game rematch (11 on 4-6 shooting)

Her value to us isn’t on the same level as DiDis is to Baylor, but she helps a lot with defensive pressure on the ball and on offense she lets Paige play off the ball and come off screens. And she can make a 3.

Reaction Score
You mean CD and Jamelle had to adjust....
I disagree with your summation of Nika's injury. Think back. Nika went down during the High Point game Geno had to adjust right then and there.

Kim should have been ready for something like Didi's injury. She wasn't and neither was her team.
Probably a wee bit easier losing a starter to High Point than to UConn.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This is not a just comparison IMO. It was known before the game Nika was not playing and Geno could strategize accordingly. DiDi went down at a critical point; she’s one of their experienced players and they had to make in game adjustments. There’s no question the momentum of the game shifted when she went out.
There is no question the game changed when Edwards went out also.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. Nika’s legend keeps growing the more days she has been out with many Boneyarder’s. How anyone can compare her “potential” contributions to a game she didn’t play in and DiDi Richards is beyond me. DiDi is a senior with NCAA championship experience who went down in the middle of a hotly contested game with everything on the line. It’s apples and oranges. And I thought I was a Uconn homer!

I'm a New York Knicks fan from back in the early 70's. The Knicks traded the more talented Walt Bellamy (a big-time scoring center) for Dave DeBusschere (a small power forward). Bellamy was more talented but Dave D allowed the Knicks to move Willis Reed (MVP of 69-70 NBA) to center. The Knicks wound up being the best team in the NBA. A player allows others to be more successful even though they aren't as talented. But Dave D and Bellamy played different positions. Both are in the HOF. It's not about which is better but how they fit. You seem like you want to compare Did vs Nika one-on-one. IMO that's totally wrong how to look at it. Baylor had Didi. UCONN didn't get one minute out of Nika. It's not that Nika is better or near Didi—she isn’t- but isn't there a reason why UCONN starts Nika? Because she makes the team better, right? You are just going to ignore that?

Geno even starts her over Edwards who is clearly more talented, right? The point is—as stated - Nika makes UConn a better team. It has nothing to do with being better than Didi. She isn't. But just like Dave D allowed the Knicks to play Reed at center and as a result they were able to play a different, quicker style than having Reed and Bellamy play together, Nika allows UCONN to play a certain style and for example allows a player like Evina to have a rest, right? You can understand that Evina wouldn't have played 40 minutes if Nika was also playing, right?

And look what happened to Edwards in this game? She was playing terrific early, then she got two quick fouls. When she picked up her 2nd foul UCONN was up 16-7. She was never the same again, was she? And doesn’t that affect Liv’s style of play very early in the game too?

It's not that Nika is better than Didi- not at all - but Baylor had Didi for most of the game. Nika is a benefit to UCONN and UCONN got zip zero nothing out of Nika. But more importantly others are affected an entire game because of Nika’s complete absence while with Baylor they had Didi most of the game. That's relevant.

Reaction Score
They played Iowa, not Utah. And she's missed 3 games (the Syracuse game as well)

And my comments were in regards to team stats, not individual stats. The team had more assists per game without her as a starter than with her as a starter. The team averages more PPG without her in the lineup than in the lineup. I haven't watched every game, but from my observations she's a solid player. Like I said, it would've been helpful to have her in the lineup, but comparing her impact to UCONN vs. Didi's to Baylor just doesn't compare.
IMO, the eye test shows clearly the effect Muhl has had on this team, her loss has been felt although I would agree wholeheartedly not remotely to the extent the loss of Richards to Baylor based on the in-game injury. Baylor was just unprepared to lose her and Mulkey didn’t have a clue, her strength as a coach is not thinking on her feet. With the psychological effect of the loss of Richards coupled with the run Uconn went on immediately after, a CYO coach would have called a time out to settle things down and re-calibrate.
As for the Richards injury effect on the game, regardless of her defensive awards, Bueckers was still getting hers prior to the injury. So with sports being as unpredictable as life itself, Makurat getting in the teams face and lighting a fire in them might have had more of an effect on the run Uconn went on than Richards getting injured, who knows?

Reaction Score
IMO, the eye test shows clearly the effect Muhl has had on this team, her loss has been felt although I would agree wholeheartedly not remotely to the extent the loss of Richards to Baylor based on the in-game injury. Baylor was just unprepared to lose her and Mulkey didn’t have a clue, her strength as a coach is not thinking on her feet. With the psychological effect of the loss of Richards coupled with the run Uconn went on immediately after, a CYO coach would have called a time out to settle things down and re-calibrate.
As for the Richards injury effect on the game, regardless of her defensive awards, Bueckers was still getting hers prior to the injury. So with sports being as unpredictable as life itself, Makurat getting in the teams face and lighting a fire in them might have had more of an effect on the run Uconn went on than Richards getting injured, who knows?
Sure. And I don't think we are arguing. I think AM probably did have a huge effect.

But for Diidi- after-the-fact we can look at it it like you say in bold. However as a team there either is no excuse for it by that I mean either the players are at fault or the coach did a lousy job preparing her team. Because Didi shouldn't have an effect on a team like that.

They did come back at the end as well. Lack of being prepared if a player goes out is not a complete excuse. SO if she gets into foul trouble would they expect the same collapse? They wouldn't / shouldn't. Again -- they DID come back. UCONN deserves a heap of credit for putting Baylor on their heels as well. If they were to play again today I'm sure you wouldn't see DIdi being missed as much as what happened.

Bottomline is one player on a team like Baylor that recruits as well as they do - should not have this type of effect. Didi is not "Michael Jordan/LeBron James." Baylor just didn't perform or the coach wasn't ready along with -- the opposing team was just too good.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the more apt comparison of DiDi going down is when Paige twisted her Ankle in the TN game. For the next few minutes, we were mentally shot and a 9 pt lead dwindled to 2. It is the mental shock to the team of losing someone important to your team.

True, alot of credit on the UConn side for taking advantage while also getting it into our heads that we belong on the same court but Kim not calling time out when it is clear they were in free fall and trying to get their heads into a better place is nuts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom