OT: - Oh boy | The Boneyard

OT: Oh boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And he should sue. It seems to me that he's at least due the remaining portion of his contract -- though getting the punitive damages may be a stretch.

When we fired Kevin Ollie "for cause", at least he was in trouble with the NCAA and ultimately was hit with a three-year show-cause penalty. I'm still not sure what "cause" St. Johns had to fire Mike Anderson.

If KO was successful contesting his "for cause" firing, I assume Mike Anderson will also be successful.

Reaction Score
I posted on social media when I heard of this. Did the Kevin Ollie situation not teach schools anything. Finding a better coach for your program doesn't equate to just cause not to pay the current coach's contract.

Reaction Score
I'm still not sure what "cause" St. Johns had to fire Mike Anderson.

the-office-michael-scott.gif

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
He’s going to win. They should offer him the 11.4M plus lawyer fees now.
They will probably will. That is likely the play here.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I posted on social media when I heard of this. Did the Kevin Ollie situation not teach schools anything. Finding a better coach for your program doesn't equate to just cause not to pay the current coach's contract.
Just write that you tweeted something about this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He might win. He might lose.

It would seem that he’s on more solid ground than Ollie, but Ollie had a unique situation with the union that Anderson does not.

The worst legal analyst in the world weighs in.

While the $34 million punitive damages are a stretch, some punitive damages are not out of the question once St. John’s gets pummeled on the “for cause” termination. St. John’s should pay out the contract immediately and move on, or it could get a lot worse.

Reaction Score

While the $34 million punitive damages are a stretch, some punitive damages are not out of the question once St. John’s gets pummeled on the “for cause” termination. St. John’s should pay out the contract immediately and move on, or it could get a lot worse.
Anderson didn’t live up to our St John’s standards, so we are bringing in Pitino

Reaction Score
Has anyone reported what cause this school is pinning this on? Feels totally mind-boggling doing what they did without at least feeding some reporter a plausible story for what the "cause" is.

Reaction Score
Thread needs a new Title. Maybe “St John’s Ollies Anderson”

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thread needs a new Title. Maybe “St John’s Ollies Anderson”
Maybe Nova should hire Anderson - nowhere as inept as Neptune

Reaction Score
Maybe Nova should hire Anderson - nowhere as inept as Neptune
Too early to tell. Neptune will at least get a few more years to prove himself, even if next year is again short of expectations. New to head coaching, but has a real strong support network with GM, experienced assistants, and Jay as a consultant mentor.

Anderson will win but maybe perceived as having a ceiling below final fours.

Reaction Score
Has anyone reported what cause this school is pinning this on? Feels totally mind-boggling doing what they did without at least feeding some reporter a plausible story for what the "cause" is.
He was clearly a bad seed

St. John's[edit]​

The 59-year-old was named the head coach at St. John's University on April 19, 2019, replacing Chris Mullin.[17]

On Feb. 16, 2021, Anderson won his 400th game as his Red Storm defeated Xavier. Anderson was named Big East Coach of the Year for the 2020–21 season. Anderson was given a 6-year extension as a result of his first two seasons at St. John's.[18]

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He was clearly a bad seed

St. John's[edit]​

The 59-year-old was named the head coach at St. John's University on April 19, 2019, replacing Chris Mullin.[17]

On Feb. 16, 2021, Anderson won his 400th game as his Red Storm defeated Xavier. Anderson was named Big East Coach of the Year for the 2020–21 season. Anderson was given a 6-year extension as a result of his first two seasons at St. John's.[18]

Losing is not "cause." The settlement is going to put a real dent in Pitino's Hookers and Blow budget, particularly at a Catholic university, where they need to reserve funds for the eventual coverup of such scandals.

From the ESPN article referenced above"[18]"...

"In my time at St. John's, Coach Anderson and the men's basketball program have represented our University in a first class manner on the court, in the classroom and in the community," university president Father Brian Shanley said in a statement.

Anderson, who won his 400th career game this past season, is one of only three active Division I coaches with at least 15 years of experience to have never had a sub-.500 season.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Boy…..how come their lawyers see it differently?

They really need to cut those dudes loose and hire * checks notes * the dumbest clown on a UConn message board.

Reaction Score
Boy…..how come their lawyers see it differently?

They really need to cut those dudes loose and hire * checks notes * the dumbest clown on a UConn message board.
Fishy, in fairness to Nellie, he’s only saying some punitive damages are not out of the question, and the $34M is a stretch. I tend to agree with him. This is a really bad position for St John’s. Maybe they will find a way to outmaneuver Anderson legally, but I doubt it as the common sense face value of the situation is clearly in Anderson’s favor.

You were overly confident that Ollie would end up less than the $10.6M that he was contractually owed, either by settlement or ruling. Ollie ended up with $15M. (UConn should have paid up or settled early close to the $10.6).

That somehow Anderson fell short of the school culture standards of St John’s, and within days Pitino was hired to raise those standards, must be comical to 98%. I expect John’s to be exposed as having cause claims only to conveniently fire a coach and not pay him because Pitino was available after NCAA rehab at Iona. This face value will be hard for John’s to overcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom