Official Predictions Thread - Houston vs UConn | The Boneyard

Official Predictions Thread - Houston vs UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Here it is: I've had the same gut feeling for two weeks that I had for the week leading up to the ECU game. I've tried to shake it. I've tried to convince myself I'm just being a homer. But truth is, I like our chances. A lot. It doesn't make sense - Houston is, by far, the best team we will play all season. But here we go...

1. It's a trap! Our game is perfectly sandwiched between 3 difficult opponents - Cinci, Memphis and Navy. This is a long travel game for them and into elements that they are not all that accustomed to (although I do wish it was about 10-15 degrees colder). Meanwhile, this is the BIGGEST game for our team - not only this season, but for the past 5 seasons. Our players and fans feel it. We might have an early energy edge;

2. backup QB effect. We have traditionally struggled with QBs who are mobile and dangerous with their legs. Possibly taking that element out of Houston's offense actually plays better to our defensive strength. Our secondary has been EXCELLENT in the last few games. Both Summers and Williams have emerged as good cover guys, Obi has played some of his best football as a Husky, and Adams has steadied himself after struggling early. Getting Adeyemi back from injury last week and playing on Senior Day will hopefully generate some pressure on their pocket QB. If we can cover their dump offs, we can contain them;

3. 3 FR OL. No matter how many people actually show up tomorrow, one thing is for certain: the Rent can generate some decent crowd noise. If you combine that with our DL play, which is leaps and bounds better than Memphis' DL, then this could be a tough day on the Freshmen;

4. Opportunistic Cougs. This is a team that generates quite a bit of its offensive production from turnovers. If we put the ball on the ground or BS is inaccurate and we turn it over a few times tomorrow, we will lose by multiple TDs. However, if we keep it clean, we can hang. Our offense has been pretty good at home - we've outgained every opponent but one (Navy, but only a -18 yard differential) at home and if we can do the same tomorrow, we will be able to hang;

5. Rentschler Field. Playing for the first time here, it will have an affect on the Cougars. First of all, kickers always seem to struggle here. How many times have we heard opponents cite lighting and weather as issues in our stadium? The turf is natural November and won't provide the same traction for their team speed. Our stadium has plenty of quirks that take some time to adjust to. For example, they will warm up during the day but play the second half under the lights. We all know where the "dark pockets" are, but will they? You combine that with dropping temps, and it's New England football at its finest.

I don't think we will win a shootout. I also don't think we will win some sort of defensive struggle. But I do think we will win. And yes, I am a Homer and damn proud of it!

Dogs 27
Cats 21

U-C-O-N-N UCONN UCONN UCONN!

Reaction Score
This post is fantastic. Can't argue any of your five points and I'm right there with you on that Homer train! Let's go Huskies! I have a good feeling about this one. I think we can put together some long drives to keep their O off the field and give our defense some rest. I'm feeling a huge pick 6 or fumble recovery that will be the difference... the good guys win this one 23-20

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
image.png

Your tears of un fathomable sadness taste delicious!!

Reaction Score
I won't say I necessarily LIKE our chances, but we definitely have a better than a punchers chance.

One thing Dooley, if Postma plays, he's a converted WR, so he's very mobile. Just not as shifty as Ward.

Reaction Score
One more prediction....innumerable fans will wear green sweaters or yellow jackets to the game to show their husky pride.

Reaction Score
For no good reason I think we win 21-17 something like that. Weather is a factor maybe. Natural grass too. We are pretty good at not turning it over. I felt this way at Iowa State and at Louisville and againt USF in the qb keeper game. Each of those teams were better than UConn.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
31-20 felines. Our best chance includes a solid drop in temps and a rowdy crowd.

Reaction Score
31-20 felines. Our best chance includes a solid drop in temps and a rowdy crowd.
I think I might have even seen a chance for showers. Weather could play into Uconn's favor.

Reaction Score
After a few days of discussing we finally got our group of 3 to 6 and we will be heading to the Rent hoping for at least 30K. This game is winnable, just look at games starting as far back this season as Toledo Vs. Arkansas, or even us against Mizzou in front of nearly 72,000 people. There have also been near upsets if you guys recall. Jacksonville State nearly beating Auburn at Auburn in Week 2, 20-27. Even now in the present. Games like Kansas Vs. TCU. A 6 point win for TCU against a Kansas team that I think could be beat by the other 127 FBS teams. And they stayed close to the end. Iowa State and OK. State is just another game to name. Granted, OK. State has a bad defense, their offense, like Houston, is supposed to be one of the best, yet they almost lost in a one score game. One last thing, we played Navy the best out of all their 9 games so far. The point is if our defense stays strong, we support the team as loud as we can, and the cold weather kicks in to help in the 2nd half, then we have a legitimate shot of winning. UConn 21 Houston 20.

"The Price of Success is hard at work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand" - Vince Lombardi.

#FillTheRent

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
With two weeks to prepare, the offense stays on the field and finishes drives; defense creates a turnover in each half and the huskies win 31 - 21.

Reaction Score
One more prediction....innumerable fans will wear green sweaters or yellow jackets to the game to show their husky pride.

After the Puyol FG to win as we rush the field in yellow windbreakers it will leave the Nazi in the white windbreaker confused as to who to body slam. Advantage FANS! Have fun tomorrow everyone. It's a long offseason.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it but the defense will have to win this one as I see UConn scoring on their opening offensive drive and then as usual the opposition defense adjusts and the Huskies struggle to put points on the board. Maybe Puyol becomes a campus legend with 5 field goals to win this thing by a point. Prediction: UConn 22 - Houston 21.

Reaction Score
35-17 Houston. Not there yet guys, but 5 wins is an improvement worth congratulating. Might have to take the trip up there to support the seniors.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
UConn 27, Houston 24 ... as a freak, unexplainable ice storm hits at halftime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom