October recruiting thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

October recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's not just that she has no schools from Texas; she has no schools in the Central time zone. Not sure she could have picked 5 schools any further away from San Antonio . . . :p

She has 3 schools that are changing conferences. I just watched some video. She reminds me of Liv.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Arianna is part an athletic family of 6 additional siblings. Brother played hoops at Colorado and NBA. One sister played volleyball for Texas. One sister played hoops at Texas Tech. So, I'm sure her parents have traveled a lot to watch them play LIVE. Distance definitely doesn't seem to be a factor among her finalists.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Arianna is part an athletic family of 6 additional siblings. Brother played hoops at Colorado and NBA. One sister played volleyball for Texas. One sister played hoops at Texas Tech. So, I'm sure her parents have traveled a lot to watch them play LIVE. Distance definitely doesn't seem to be a factor among her finalists.

I think she also has a sister at TCU, playing hoops.

Reaction Score
Arianna is from San Antonio and has NO schools from Texas in her final five! She's a 6'4" forward, ranked #19 by HG. Can we add her AND Strong??

That would be such a great class pairing the two of them with Allie and Morgan. All ground would be covered with a floor general, a 3-point assassin, a versatile forward and a paint beast. It’s hard to not to get excited at that potential.

Reaction Score
That would be such a great class pairing the two of them with Allie and Morgan. All ground would be covered with a floor general, a 3-point assassin, a versatile forward and a paint beast. It’s hard to not to get excited at that potential.

Some would ask where the center was? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
And I’d answer that Jana (with 4 years of eligibility left after this year) checks that box.
I also think regardless of designation that Arianna may be thought of as much as a 5 as a 4 by Geno, particularly if she was being pursued in addition to Strong, instead of plan B if we don't get Strong. I say that for a couple of reasons. First several including myself see a little bit of Liv in Arianna. Liv was an effective 5, and like Liv, Arianna is thin, can dunk, and is only 1 inch shorter, so why couldn't she be a 5.

I'm not saying she wouldn't play some 4 as well, but see no reason to rule her out as a 5. In addition she is a name that kind of surfaced a little late on our radar, curiously at a similar time to when Kate Koval was appearing less and less likely. She certainly could have been a plan B if Koval went elsewhere, and if that was the thinking she was probably viewed as a complement to Strong at the 5, not as the potential third choice at the 4 behind Strong and Carlton.

At least that is what I am hoping, along with seeing her in the crowd at first night!

Reaction Score
Was it confirmed that she has been offered? Thought I read on here years ago that Geno did not extend scholarship offers to recruits until they had made the effort to visit UConn unofficially.
Auriemma realized in the last couple of years that he had to modify his approach to recruiting to continue to get the best kids. He now has offers out to rising sophomores like J. Robinson, O. Vukosa, A. Bjorn, and S. Hall. Plus he offered Kaleena Smith this summer before she got to HS.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Auriemma realized in the last couple of years that he had to modify his approach to recruiting to continue to get the best kids. He now has offers out to rising sophomores like J. Robinson, O. Vukosa, A. Bjorn, and S. Hall. Plus he offered Kaleena Smith this summer before she got to HS.
It is a much more challenging approach. When a coach offers a rising HS sophomore a scholarship, they are projecting a player’s development several years out. Geno is probably as good as anyone in evaluating young players, but the process is hardly foolproof, particularly when you attempt to project where a young player will be both physically and basketball skill wise several years out.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I think the concern is generally valid but the downside risk on players of the ilk we are talking about here - Robinson, Vukosa, Bjorn, Hall - is pretty low. Barring injury.

It can happen though. I remember that Samantha Brunelle was everyone`s favorite and she has done ok but well below the high expectation level. Not sure if UConn offered her.

Reaction Score
I think the concern is generally valid but the downside risk on players of the ilk we are talking about here - Robinson, Vukosa, Bjorn, Hall - is pretty low. Barring injury.

It can happen though. I remember that Samantha Brunelle was everyone`s favorite and she has done ok but well below the high expectation level. Not sure if UConn offered her.
Pretty sure she did receive an offer from UConn. Somewhere in the depths of my computer there is photo of her with other UConn recruits in her class wearing a UConn sweatshirt. I’ll see if I can find it. In fact, there is a good chance that photo was posted on the boneyard. UConn was also among her list of finalists or semifinalists.

Reaction Score

Hence the careful personal research done by our staff to ensure a good fit! Obviously, there have been a few misses but overall I would put our “fit“ success up against anyone! It is extremely rare that Geno & Co pick a recruit that does not fit in with our style/team first approach And even rarer that they sign a player who simply does not ever live up to their potential. Here’s hoping for yet another example of that with the upcoming class!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom