Observations on the Baylor Game | The Boneyard

Observations on the Baylor Game

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
1) Dorka is playing stronger than I've seen in her time at UConn. She has not been collapsing on contact like she has in the past. If this is a real trend it is a remarkable development in such a veteran player. At this point they usually "are what they are".
2) Aubrey was amazing and help pull the life out of Baylor.
3) Nika... I love it when she attacks the basket. Always takes the defense by surprise. I absolutely hate it when she (and others) miss layups that has to change. That said, nothing really looks "right" when Nika isn't playing. She's been terrific.
4) Azzi... even when she was missing shots I kept saying "keep shooting, it's only a matter of time".
5) Lou... Doesn't look like she's 100% by any means. Even so, she still makes those big, big shots.
6) Caroline looked better than she has in awhile. No head blows during the game!! Yea!
7) Aaliyah, the gift the keeps giving, eh? All-American.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
1) Dorka is playing stronger than I've seen in her time at UConn. She has not been collapsing on contact like she has in the past. If this is a real trend it is a remarkable development in such a veteran player. At this point they usually "are what they are".
2) Aubrey was amazing and help pull the life out of Baylor.
3) Nika... I love it when she attacks the basket. Always takes the defense by surprise. I absolutely hate it when she (and others) miss layups that has to change. That said, nothing really looks "right" when Nika isn't playing. She's been terrific.
4) Azzi... even when she was missing shots I kept saying "keep shooting, it's only a matter of time".
5) Lou... Doesn't look like she's 100% by any means. Even so, she still makes those big, big shots.
6) Caroline looked better than she has in awhile. No head blows during the game!! Yea!
7) Aaliyah, the gift the keeps giving, eh? All-American.
Unfortunately that statement about Caroline is not quite true. Near the end of the game, she was holding her head after a rebound scrum. Geno noticed and called a timeout to get her out of the game. She did come back in briefly during the last 30 seconds, but (at least in my tender head) it remains a cause of concern.

I agree that Lou is physically diminished from her January level. I think you will see her minutes being monitored and limited to perhaps 20-25 per game for that reason.

Aubrey was great, but I will bet that her back is killing her today. Hopefully she can get it back (no pun intended) to normal with rest, but a 6-hour plane flight to Seattle won't do it any favors.

I agree with your comments about Dorka, but that is not unique to this game. She has been playing like a true UConn post player all year. I think Kevin McGuff is likely to be surprised by what he sees from her on Saturday.

Reaction Score

This girl has taken more hits than anyone this season...yet she always bounces back, plays as hard as her body will let her and always has a smile. As tough a Nika is, I think Lou just as tough, if not more so. Gotta love her!!!

Reaction Score
Lou is constantly being knocked around. Even before the intentional on the other end you could see her trying to move but the Baylor defender had her tangled up in her arms to keep her from getting free and open. That all takes a toll physically. I'm not sure why that's allowed. Aaliyah does it too and I don't know why she doesn't called for more fouls.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Unfortunately that statement about Caroline is not quite true. Near the end of the game, she was holding her head after a rebound scrum. Geno noticed and called a timeout to get her out of the game. She did come back in briefly during the last 30 seconds, but (at least in my tender head) it remains a cause of concern.

I agree that Lou is physically diminished from her January level. I think you will see her minutes being monitored and limited to perhaps 20-25 per game for that reason.

Aubrey was great, but I will bet that her back is killing her today. Hopefully she can get it back (no pun intended) to normal with rest, but a 6-hour plane flight to Seattle won't do it any favors.

I agree with your comments about Dorka, but that is not unique to this game. She has been playing like a true UConn post player all year. I think Kevin McGuff is likely to be surprised by what he sees from her on Saturday.
I missed that... not good.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

@JoePgh , your head might be a lot of things, but "tender" is not one of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom