Number 1 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Number 1

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They need to step their NIL game up and they need to keep Holloway. They just put the shovels in the ground on their new basketball practice facility a few months ago so that should help some...

It looks good in that link, but if I remember correctly it's really just a wraparound on Walsh gymnasium. NIL is a huge issue for them. They got off to a slow start adapting to the New World Order, but they've been doing a lot of NIL work lately.

I agree that Holloway seems to be a good hire for them, though he hasn't had a great recruiting class and has had only tempered success in the portal.

As much as we complain about our circumstances and being able to compete with the P2 universities, small private schools like Seton Hall are screwed. I honestly don't know how they can keep up. Ironically, small colleges that get left behind if P2 schools split from the NCAA may not complain about it much because their ability to compete with the P2 schools is limited anyway.

CL82

Reaction Score
That's the thought that hit me. 3 titles, no #1 rankings.
Well, no number one rankings during the season anyway.

Reaction Score
It looks good in that link, but if I remember correctly it's really just a wraparound on Walsh gymnasium. NIL is a huge issue for them. They got off to a slow start adapting to the New World Order, but they've been doing a lot of NIL work lately.

I agree that Holloway seems to be a good hire for them, though he hasn't had a great recruiting class and has had only tempered success in the portal.

As much as we complain about our circumstances and being able to compete with the P2 universities, small private schools like Seton Hall are screwed. I honestly don't know how they can keep up. Ironically, small colleges that get left behind if P2 schools split from the NCAA may not complain about it much because their ability to compete with the P2 schools is limited anyway.
It is built into Walsh but it's supposed to cost around $50 million so it will be nice.

Seton Hall is constrained by land. They've never let them buy the land around the campus to expand and the town of South Orange has always been a terrible partner.

I don't worry about Big East schools being able to compete. They've always shown they will do what it takes and the Big East brand has cachet, I don't see that changing.

CL82

Reaction Score
It is built into Walsh but it's supposed to cost around $50 million so it will be nice.

Seton Hall is constrained by land. They've never let them buy the land around the campus to expand and the town of South Orange has always been a terrible partner.

I don't worry about Big East schools being able to compete. They've always shown they will do what it takes and the Big East brand has cachet, I don't see that changing.
I hope you are right.

Reaction Score
After Losing Andre, Adama, Hawk and Clingan. Just wow.
As a title defense, we're doing better than any other thus far.

1999-2000: Started #1, lost first game, climbed back to #2, went on a slump, ended #20 with a second round NCAA loss (hobbled KEA or I think that's a Final Four run given the way the bracket broke).

2004-2005: Started #8, never got higher than #7. Did get a 2 seed, but got bounced in round 2 again. Another year deeply affected by injuries (AJ Price, Rashad).

2011-2012: Started #4, and the year was trash. Got bounced in Round 1 by a dude afraid of planes.

2014-2015: Stared #17, never really had traction. Perhaps if SMU didn't rip Boatright's arm out of his socket in the AAC Finals in Hartford, but a disappointing year overall.

2012 should have had a real chance to repeat, based on talent. 2000 & 2005 had chances at Final Four runs, but not really title contenders. 2015...nope. This year, though, the team has a real chance to repeat if it stays healthy. A big if, as we're seeing, though.

Reaction Score
Johnson is averaging 6 points and 3.5 rebounds per game. I would have hoped for more on someone with wall potential. Gonna be hard to hold #1 without Clingan and maybe even with him.

Reaction Score
I’ll give you a few reasons
1. We are located in the Northeast. We have a rich history here.
2. Does it really matter if we are in the Big 12? With our #1 ranking, I don’t think so.
3. The amount of travel involved. Half our games would be in the Midwest or west coast. Do you think our players and fans find that appealing?
4. The cost of travel especially as the Big12 wasn’t interested in our other athletic programs and would not pay our school a full member share.
5. I don’t think Hurley has any desire to coach games not in our area. I get the DePaul. Marquette, Butler, Xavier argument on geography, but we have a strong east coast presence. See point 1.

I’m curious to know what other Yarders think.
I think you're insane

Reaction Score
They have a poll after the tournament. The only poll that really matters. We have been #1 in that poll 5 times.
There is no poll after the tournament, the last AP Poll is after conference championships and at that point all anyone cares about is seeding anyway

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
UNC was ahead of us in some voters' ballots last week. They've also looked really good since the Kentucky loss.
I could have sworn we beat a team from North Caroline that wears sky blue unis ...

I must have been hallucinating.

Reaction Score
They have a poll after the tournament. The only poll that really matters. We have been #1 in that poll 5 times.
The AP doesn't have a poll after the tournament, so what you suggest has never happened.

Let people enjoy this. Everyone agrees that the most important poll is in April, but I really liked 1995 and it was cool that they were #1 that year even though they lost in the Elite 8.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom