2024 Recruiting: - Nowell Stats Through 5 games | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Nowell Stats Through 5 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have the stats from each game individually. Let me know if you want me to post them.

St Joe’s Prep
Overbrook
Dobbins
Reading (home of Donyell Marshall)
Constitution

25.0 PPG
5.6 RPG (1.8 Offensive)
2.6 APG (3.8 potential)

1.4 TO
1.0 STL
0.6 BLK

47% FG (17.2 attempts)
54% 2FG (9.6 attempts)
37% 3FG (7.6 attempts)
97% FT (6.4 attempts… 31/32 from the line is bananas. Took 18 FTs one game!)

Overall:
  • Probably will be listed at 6’, but is built super strong. Wouldn’t want him to gain much more weight–very stocky. He and Solo will be a smaller backcourt, but they’re going to be stronger than most.
  • Worth noting that this isn't the BEST competition in the world. 2 of the teams are solid, but 3 are public schools teams that are just fine. Imhotep is a great developmental program, but they do spend a lot of their season beating up on terrible local teams.
  • Super quick, but not a freak vertical athlete like Boatright was.
  • I see a clear, projectable role for him as a 3+ year player. He isn’t going to be on NBA radars with his size, but he could dominate the Big East.
  • Leader for his team–constantly directing underclassmen and communicating on defense.
  • Because of his low TOs and defense, I could see him earning a bunch of minutes as a freshman. He won’t be breaking guys down or beating the shotclock on a team as talented as ours, but he has all the skills to be a cog on a top team making the right play and defending.
Offense:
  • Handles have improved since last summer. In AAU he seemed fine/passable, but he looks above average now. Not like Napier or anything, but solid. Clearly has put in the work. Dribbles equally well with both hands-ish–enough that I had to double-check he wasn’t a lefty. Drives into the paint with both hands practically every possession.
  • Pretty “safe” as a passer most of the time, but his team plays a kind of DDM so you aren’t going to see much in the way of hitting cutters or feeding the post. Mostly a right-hand passer. I want to see him at 9+ potential assists per game in HS. His assist numbers are too low IMO. I've seen him do better in AAU.
  • Finishes with both hands but does prefer his right, particularly on the run. Uses his left most in mismatch and mini-post-up situations.
  • 3-point shooting is streaky off the dribble, but excellent off a catch so far this season. His pick up point is something to work on–looks inconsistent leading to shots being tougher than they should be. Also worth noting is that he is often taking the end-of-quarter heaves for his team, so the “true” percentage is probably more like 41%.
  • Penetrates to the FT line and kicks constantly. Love it.
  • His finishing at the rim in half-court settings is going to be iffy. He doesn’t have an elite finishing package or body control. And he isn’t going to elevate over anyone to get a shot off. Generally efficient with a few ill-advised attempts... probably 2 a game that I think were bad shots.
  • First gamer two he took a bunch of long 2s but nixed it after–I wonder if the coach got in his head about that.
  • Outside of a few ill-advised decisions in a couple blowout games, he really doesn’t turn the ball over very much at all.
  • Has a really nice sense for pace of the game. When to speed up, when to slow it down.
Defense:
  • Very physical on the perimeter–aggressive. He’s pushing the limits of the whistle at times which I love seeing guards do. Learn the limits and make ballhandlers uncomfortable.
  • Very quick feet.
  • I’d like to see him getting his hands in the passing lane a bit more, but it may be by design to play more straight up with this team. I don’t think there’s any reason he should be at less than 2.5 STLs per game, honestly. He's much better than his competition.
  • Like most HS players, defensive effort isn’t there all the time. I'm not concerned at all.
  • The big sticking point with him will be size. He takes a hit really well in the post, but big guards are going to be able to shoot and finish over him. Learning early on to communicate and play within our defensive scheme will be key.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. Would it be safe to say that, if comparing next year backcourt to Bazz and Boat, what Ball and Nowell lack in quickness and handle, they make up for in physicality? This would be fine with me for big east play.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. Would it be safe to say that, if comparing next year backcourt to Bazz and Boat, what Ball and Nowell lack in quickness and handle, they make up for in physicality? This would be fine with me for big east play.

I mean you're comparing a national championship backcourt to a hs senior and a freshman shooting 25% from range.

But I get your point... could Solo and Ahmad get there? With a ton of development and buy-in, absolutely.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
To be honest as I read the brief and when I got to the bullet point on finishing at the rim for some reason Alterique Gilbert popped into my mind. Hopefully Nowell won’t have the injury issues that AG did but one thing I remember about AG is he could get by his man but then what…..maybe if he had a better supporting cast when he played he could have kicked out but I just remember all the trouble in the lane. But AG was quick Nowell is quicker than he looks but no Kemba or Boat.

Reaction Score
To be honest as I read the brief and when I got to the bullet point on finishing at the rim for some reason Alterique Gilbert popped into my mind. Hopefully Nowell won’t have the injury issues that AG did but one thing I remember about AG is he could get by his man but then what…..maybe if he had a better supporting cast when he played he could have kicked out but I just remember all the trouble in the lane. But AG was quick Nowell is quicker than he looks but no Kemba or Boat.

Not a terrible comp. Alterique was tiny though, and probably a better pure athlete.

Reaction Score
Nowell is built like a bulldog though, Alterique was very slight.

Reaction Score
<3 APG? Is he a PG or CG or a score first PG?

Reaction Score
Thanks for keeping track of the future Husky.

That said, virtually every college player was a great high school player. And they all have great highlight videos. Hope it translates to the next level.

Reaction Score
Thanks for keeping track of the future Husky.

That said, virtually every college player was a great high school player. And they all have great highlight videos. Hope it translates to the next level.

I don't watch highlight videos. And some are better hs players than others. That's why I watch games. There are a whole lotta highly ranked players who don't perform when it matters. Justin Edwards was a top-3 recruit and didn't put up #s like this at Imhotep last year.

For example, I'll post a similar thread in the next few days on Abraham and some of the feedback isn't cute.

Reaction Score
This kid is a beast at 6-1. At 6-5 he would go straight to the NBA. Love how he use the glass. The handle, the awareness, he will play right away.

Reaction Score
I have the stats from each game individually. Let me know if you want me to post them.

St Joe’s Prep
Overbrook
Dobbins
Reading (home of Donyell Marshall)
Constitution

25.0 PPG
5.6 RPG (1.8 Offensive)
2.6 APG (3.8 potential)

1.4 TO
1.0 STL
0.6 BLK

47% FG (17.2 attempts)
54% 2FG (9.6 attempts)
37% 3FG (7.6 attempts)
97% FT (6.4 attempts… 31/32 from the line is bananas. Took 18 FTs one game!)

Overall:
  • Probably will be listed at 6’, but is built super strong. Wouldn’t want him to gain much more weight–very stocky. He and Solo will be a smaller backcourt, but they’re going to be stronger than most.
  • Worth noting that this isn't the BEST competition in the world. 2 of the teams are solid, but 3 are public schools teams that are just fine. Imhotep is a great developmental program, but they do spend a lot of their season beating up on terrible local teams.
  • Super quick, but not a freak vertical athlete like Boatright was.
  • I see a clear, projectable role for him as a 3+ year player. He isn’t going to be on NBA radars with his size, but he could dominate the Big East.
  • Leader for his team–constantly directing underclassmen and communicating on defense.
  • Because of his low TOs and defense, I could see him earning a bunch of minutes as a freshman. He won’t be breaking guys down or beating the shotclock on a team as talented as ours, but he has all the skills to be a cog on a top team making the right play and defending.
Offense:
  • Handles have improved since last summer. In AAU he seemed fine/passable, but he looks above average now. Not like Napier or anything, but solid. Clearly has put in the work. Dribbles equally well with both hands-ish–enough that I had to double-check he wasn’t a lefty. Drives into the paint with both hands practically every possession.
  • Pretty “safe” as a passer most of the time, but his team plays a kind of DDM so you aren’t going to see much in the way of hitting cutters or feeding the post. Mostly a right-hand passer. I want to see him at 9+ potential assists per game in HS. His assist numbers are too low IMO. I've seen him do better in AAU.
  • Finishes with both hands but does prefer his right, particularly on the run. Uses his left most in mismatch and mini-post-up situations.
  • 3-point shooting is streaky off the dribble, but excellent off a catch so far this season. His pick up point is something to work on–looks inconsistent leading to shots being tougher than they should be. Also worth noting is that he is often taking the end-of-quarter heaves for his team, so the “true” percentage is probably more like 41%.
  • Penetrates to the FT line and kicks constantly. Love it.
  • His finishing at the rim in half-court settings is going to be iffy. He doesn’t have an elite finishing package or body control. And he isn’t going to elevate over anyone to get a shot off. Generally efficient with a few ill-advised attempts... probably 2 a game that I think were bad shots.
  • First gamer two he took a bunch of long 2s but nixed it after–I wonder if the coach got in his head about that.
  • Outside of a few ill-advised decisions in a couple blowout games, he really doesn’t turn the ball over very much at all.
  • Has a really nice sense for pace of the game. When to speed up, when to slow it down.
Defense:
  • Very physical on the perimeter–aggressive. He’s pushing the limits of the whistle at times which I love seeing guards do. Learn the limits and make ballhandlers uncomfortable.
  • Very quick feet.
  • I’d like to see him getting his hands in the passing lane a bit more, but it may be by design to play more straight up with this team. I don’t think there’s any reason he should be at less than 2.5 STLs per game, honestly. He's much better than his competition.
  • Like most HS players, defensive effort isn’t there all the time. I'm not concerned at all.
  • The big sticking point with him will be size. He takes a hit really well in the post, but big guards are going to be able to shoot and finish over him. Learning early on to communicate and play within our defensive scheme will be key.
Great job with analysis. Looking forward to his impact next year. Imagine he might try to take in Nova game if no conflicts with his HS schedule.

Reaction Score
Article from Dom Amore who caught up with Nowell in Springfield.

In case you were wondering whether Ahmad Nowell is built, wired to play for Dan Hurley and UConn men’s basketball, one of next year’s incoming freshman had a way of destroying any doubts.

“If they don’t know by now,” Nowell said. “I’m willing to die on that court for the win.”

That sound about right?

“I’ve known Dan Hurley since he was at St. Benedict’s,” Imhotep coach Andre Noble said. “Only certain people can play for him and, I’m telling you, Ahmad’s a perfect match.”

Alternate access:
Incoming Ahmad Nowell has the look, sound of a Dan Hurley Husky

Reaction Score
Article from Dom Amore who caught up with Nowell in Springfield.

In case you were wondering whether Ahmad Nowell is built, wired to play for Dan Hurley and UConn men’s basketball, one of next year’s incoming freshman had a way of destroying any doubts.

“If they don’t know by now,” Nowell said. “I’m willing to die on that court for the win.”

That sound about right?

“I’ve known Dan Hurley since he was at St. Benedict’s,” Imhotep coach Andre Noble said. “Only certain people can play for him and, I’m telling you, Ahmad’s a perfect match.”

Alternate access:
Incoming Ahmad Nowell has the look, sound of a Dan Hurley Husky

I didn't watch but a buddy of mine says he dominated Dematha in a win yesterday. 20+ points, 3 blocks, and 5+ assists.

Reaction Score
Crazy thing is this is a pretty middling performance for him. He's put up better numbers versus better teams just in the last month. I'm not kidding when I say this kid is the real deal.
Yea from Amore's article he only shot 2/9 from 3 when he's been 45% on the season, made up for it by distributing

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Diarra and Nowell might just have the PG position covered next season. Just a need a combo/guard forward for the second playmaker. Not a fan of playing Diarra and Nowell together for the majority of games.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Diarra and Nowell might just have the PG position covered next season. Just a need a combo/guard forward for the second playmaker. Not a fan of playing Diarra and Nowell together for the majority of games.
I think Solo Ball is the guy the staff is looking at for that role.

Reaction Score
Crazy thing is this is a pretty middling performance for him. He's put up better numbers versus better teams just in the last month. I'm not kidding when I say this kid is the real deal.
WoW high praise from someone who is on top of the High School guys..

Great News

Reaction Score
He's a baller. Tough Philly dude. Perfect for our Program as a two-way PG. Danny nailed it with this guy.

Reaction Score
I don't watch highlight videos. And some are better hs players than others. That's why I watch games. There are a whole lotta highly ranked players who don't perform when it matters. Justin Edwards was a top-3 recruit and didn't put up #s like this at Imhotep last year.

For example, I'll post a similar thread in the next few days on Abraham and some of the feedback isn't cute.
Where's your breakdown on Abraham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak