Now What About Gabby [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Now What About Gabby [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fact: Gabby got 10 rebs against the GAINTS of SC and 19 points the next game. So what about Kia? Falling on the floor, committing silly fouls, where are the rebounds - maybe Big Bad Mo gets more rebounds than Kia, if not it is close. Yeah, yeah you are going to tell me about leadership, experience, etc. but what have you done for me lately?

Reaction Score
I think Kia may have just hit the wall. She did play all summer with the Canadian National Team and
then reported to Uconn and hasn't stopped since. Maybe she just needs a break before the tournament.

Reaction Score
dead-horse-jpg.10152

Reaction Score
Fact: Gabby got 10 rebs against the GAINTS of SC and 19 points the next game. So what about Kia? Falling on the floor, committing silly fouls, where are the rebounds - maybe Big Bad Mo gets more rebounds than Kia, if not it is close. Yeah, yeah you are going to tell me about leadership, experience, etc. but what have you done for me lately?
Why waste your time or ours on foolish comments?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'll bite. What has Kia done lately? Um... Pretty short memory there, cupcake.

Just 3 games ago against ECU, Nurse led the team with a career high 20 points, was 4-7 from beyond the arc, dished out 4 assists and made 2 steals. She played a team high 31 minutes.

She plays harder than anyone I've seen since Shea Ralph. I'm not sure who is/was more intense on the court. Probably Shea, but just by a hair. Her arms are ALWAYS up when she plays defense. Always. She has terrific lateral movement and is a tenacious defender - she and Moriah are the best on ball defenders IMHO, and Gabby's not too far behind, but she makes more of a mark with her explosive first step that gets her steals by launching herself into the passing lane.

By your logic, it's time to bench Morgan because she was 1-9 vs. Temple, and 0-5 from beyond the arc vs. South Carolina.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Why do you hate Canadians, eh, you hoser?

Reaction Score
Kia is not coming out of the starting line up. We need two guards in the line up. Like Geno says, right now the team needs players that can make outside shots, and Gabby cannot do that.

Reaction Score
Kia will and should continue to start. But you have to wonder what's going on with her. Except for her foul shooting, most of her stats are down compared to last year. Not shooting as well, not rebounding as well, a/to not as good. Her steals are about the same.
If she is a bit stale at this point, it wouldn't hurt to cut back on her minutes for awhile.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score

How about 70 assists..?
Or, maybe 33 made threes.....
Perhaps 36 Steals....?
27.7 minutes per game, every game...!
221 points for a 9.2 average....
74% from free throw line, good enough..?
Never mind, clearly you don't understand what Geno needs from Nurse on the court, and apparently sees her deliver almost every game.... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Now what about you?
Your title is "Now What About Gabby"
Your post is"So what about Kia"
Are you drunk?

Reaction Score
She plays harder than anyone I've seen since Shea Ralph.

That's a good comparison. Shea was often going just one notch too hard, as Kia tends to. I think Kia has a slightly better basketball acumen than Shea did back then, but Shea had a stronger gut feel for the game. Very much alike in the way that they play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

What a waste of time - yours for writing it and mine for reading it.

Reaction Score
Proof positive that small minds are amused by small things, aren't they?

Do you not realize that Kia plays the "2" had has an entirely different roll than the "3 or "4" that Gabby fills when she comes in? There are some good instructional videos on You Tube you might consider watching to learn something about basketball,

Reaction Score
That's a good comparison. Shea was often going just one notch too hard, as Kia tends to. I think Kia has a slightly better basketball acumen than Shea did back then, but Shea had a stronger gut feel for the game. Very much alike in the way that they play.
I love Kia, but you can't compare her to Shea, not yet anyway. Shea was an AA.

Reaction Score
When you have a game like Kia did in the Pan Am games, there's pressure to live up to that performance. Kia is not that type of scorer. She needs to not try so hard to live up to that game. She goes full speed all the time, she dives for every loose ball, she's a tenacious defender, and hopefully, her offensive game returns. Kia is very capable of average 12 - 14 points a game. She needs to get out of her head, relax and let the game come to her. Gabby has been incredible to say the least.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
So this post was a bait-and-switch? Title praises Gabby to suck folks in (which I'm all-in for), but post was intended as a hit piece on Kia. Pathetic.

Reaction Score
The problem with Gabby in the Starting lineup is the reason she was taken out, and comes off the bench. Stewie and Morgan play inside, and Geno prefers it that way, he has said he doesn't want Stewie spending a lot of time outside. If Gabby was able to do anything consistently outside 15 ft, she might still be starting. For UConn on offense, you need proper spacing, and the lineup of Stewie, Morgan, KLS, Kia, and Moriah gives that to Uconn.

Reaction Score
On top of the issues related to Gabby's position on the floor (and lack of long range shooting), I think that Kia has an edge to her that is lacking on the other players most of the time. It's a 'tude, an outlook, a way of being, I don't know. Hard to define but I think her presence helps make everyone else on the floor just a bit more gritty and tenacious.

I'm hoping that someone else eventually contributes the same thing (maybe KLS?), but that's an issue for another day.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I think every Huskies fan loves Kia and her high-energy game. I'm guessing Geno loves her game too, even as he acknowledges that, "sometimes your shots just don't go in."

Further, I'm guessing that if she wasn't making a valuable contribution, she'd be benched. Just guessing, mind you.

Suggesting player rotations other than what Geno and his (somewhat successful) coaching staff comes up with is a fool's errand.

Reaction Score
I love Kia, but you can't compare her to Shea, not yet anyway. Shea was an AA.
Sure I can. Athletes in many sports, especially women, are far better trained today than they were just 15-20 years ago. They get more attention when they are younger, train harder, lift weights, have well educated and experienced trainers...it's a different world today. Back then the high school coach was likely still a gym teacher first, and coached many teams, and probably had a PE degree if they were lucky. There were no trainers outside of the School Nurse, and facilities were football leftovers at best. Today the best schools have dedicated coaches and staff, better equipment, and while they likely share facilities with the men's team, but at least they are Basketball-oriented.

The Shea of 1999 likely would have trouble making the team today, not because of who she is, but because of the opportunities that were available. No dig on her, it's just progress.

SO...take that Shea and give her the opportunities that girls get TODAY, and I agree; she would likely be a much different, and dangerous, player; faster, stronger, better basketball acumen; The Six Million Dollar Shea. But apple-to-apples, Kia is very comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom