Now That Donovan’s Back….. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now That Donovan’s Back…..

Reaction Score
Yeah I like him coming off the bench as well. Gets our ball moving on offense better earlier. We take the other teams starters best shot and then Clingan comes in and we dominate. Its crushing psychologically. Also allows him to get stronger and more in shape without risking further injury.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Ehh, taking one a game doesn’t draw the opposing center out to the perimeter, hitting them at a solid clip does. AJax and Castle’s defenders didn’t/don’t chase them out to the perimeter just because threes are going up. No offense to Samson, but Dixon isn’t going to have a second thought because of that three he put up against Creighton.
Neither one of them look at the basket when they get the ball. Have you ever played BB at any level? If you have you must have heard of a concept you learn when you are taught how to play offense. The goal is when you get the ball is to become a triple threat. Basically that means be ready to pass, dribble or shoot. If they don’t even look at the basket everytime they get the ball they become much easier to guard. Actually the whole team becomes easier to guard. I am certain Adama just decided to start shooting threes in the tournament with no input from the coaches. Interesting what happened after he made a few. We proceeded to run the table and our offensive was a big reason. You have to start somewhere and since you bring up Dixon watch how we have to defend him tomorrow and then go back to your original response about why them taking a few won’t change anything. Also I did not say it will draw them all the way out all we need is for them to move a step or two further out not just sit at the half circle below the free throw line. Of course they are not going to play them like the play a legitimate shooter, but one or two steps can make a big difference to the defender from protecting the rim and still staying connected to Clingan or Samson from rolling or cutting to the hoop for a lay up or ally oop.

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I would also like to have Clingan watch film of Eddy. Eddy is much more polished at the offensive end. I think part of his problem has been the foot, but he makes himself small or gets himself too deep sometimes. There is nothing wrong with passing back out and reposting when that happens.
christmas vacation GIF

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
With the ball in his hands, he was rusty. No question. But you'd have expected that. In terms of his movements, he was great.

That block he had at the rim was perfection. When the guard drove the ball, he waited until he got parallel to him to cut off any potential lob to the rim, then moved with him and didn't allow him to get by. He is so damn good at defending in the paint.

Reaction Score
Neither one of them look at the basket when they get the ball. Have you ever played BB at any level? If you have you must have heard of a concept you learn when you are taught how to play offense. The goal is when you get the ball is to become a triple threat. Basically that means be ready to pass, dribble or shoot. If they don’t even look at the basket everytime they get the ball they become much easier to guard. Actually the whole team becomes easier to guard. I am certain Adama just decided to start shooting threes in the tournament with no input from the coaches. Interesting what happened after he made a few. We proceeded to run the table and our offensive was a big reason. You have to start somewhere and since you bring up Dixon watch how we have to defend him tomorrow and then go back to your original response about why them taking a few won’t change anything. Also I did not say it will draw them all the way out all we need is for them to move a step or two further out not just sit at the half circle below the free throw line. Of course they are not going to play them like the play a legitimate shooter, but one or two steps can make a big difference to the defender from protecting the rim and still staying connected to Clingan or Samson from rolling or cutting to the hoop for a lay up or ally oop.
Sanogo started hitting threes at a decent clip, which is why defenders had to start playing him farther out, that’s my point. If Samson or Clingan can’t do that, the opposing team is going to let them jack up as many uncontested threes as they want.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Sanogo started hitting threes at a decent clip, which is why defenders had to start playing him farther out, that’s my point. If Samson or Clingan can’t do that, the opposing team is going to let them jack up as many uncontested threes as they want.
Understood but I believe they can make the shots. Samson came in with that reputation and I have seen enough of DC practicing that I believe he can make them. What happens is that they get into the game and don’t account for the adrenaline that exists and they usually speed up the delivery. I think we should let the get some game experience in shooting them when we are up twenty. I believe they both have the skill set to hit them if they are wide open.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I would also like to have Clingan watch film of Eddy. Eddy is much more polished at the offensive end. I think part of his problem has been the foot, but he makes himself small or gets himself too deep sometimes. There is nothing wrong with passing back out and reposting when that happens.
Eddy hasn't impressed me in the few Purdue games I've watched over the last few years. Eddy looks polished vs most of his competition because he is so much bigger. He's looked slow and oaf-ish to me, which might also have to do with his size. Clingan's game seems to flow much more smooth.

Purdue's starting guards on the other hand, are quick, scrappy and can convert.

Reaction Score
I didn’t feel the “rust was really thick” in fact I was a bit surprised how well he played considering how much time he’s missed this season.
I thought his movement yesterday was incredible. He was quick and making a lot of minute adjustments with guys driving near him when he was in drop. He got out to contest shots well, too.

On offense a couple times with his back to the basket he kinda just threw up a prayer without actually making a move (a few other times he did make moves and converted or drew a foul/got an oreb). That's probably where people are thinking there was rust.

Reaction Score
He impacted that game just by being at the rim on D at times. Shots they didn’t even attempt. Stats don’t tell the story all the time.
Agreed. Coach McDermott mentioned that in the presser.

Reaction Score
Eddy hasn't impressed me in the few Purdue games I've watched over the last few years. Eddy looks polished vs most of his competition because he is so much bigger. He's looked slow and oaf-ish to me, which might also have to do with his size. Clingan's game seems to flow much more smooth.

Purdue's starting guards on the other hand, are quick, scrappy and can convert.
The games I've seen with Eddy, he has shown the ability or knowingness to pass the ball back out and repost. I think when it is all said and done Clingan is going to be much better than Eddy, but he gets himself in bad position sometimes. When he does, he still tries to force things most of the time. I'm just saying there is no problem with passing and resetting.
Sanogo would do the same thing the last few years. He get the ball and just go no matter where he caught the ball. Clingan is a much better passer than him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom