OT: - November 3rd (National Sandwich Day) | The Boneyard

OT: November 3rd (National Sandwich Day)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My final Public Service Announcement of 2021. Nov 3rd is National Sandwich Day, a beloved day celebrated by Americans across the land. Alot of national and regional chains are offering deals if you so choose. Go out and celebrate by getting a sandwich or two.. or making a sandwich or two at home.

My personal recommendations? I'd go with the thick cut fried bologna fried in a cast iron skillet... topped with pimento cheese, bacon, chili, cole slaw.. a few onions... between two slices of bread coated with both mayo and mustard. Or a healthier alternative... either a grilled peanut butter and traffic jam (or bear jam) sandwich hot off the pan... or a grilled peanut butter, nutella, and banana sandwich... :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Nearly every day is sandwich day for me. :rolleyes: PBJs aren't that exciting, but I'm sure I've eaten thousands of them over my lifetime. Substituting the J for honey is a nice alternate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
After years of hearing about Elvis and his fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, I made one. I wasn’t sure exactly what it should look like but my guess was it was a grilled peanut butter sandwich with sliced bananas in it. Truth be told, it wasn’t bad, but I could feel my arteries hardening as I ate it. Haven’t had one since, but, I could do it again.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nearly every day is sandwich day for me. :rolleyes: PBJs aren't that exciting, but I'm sure I've eaten thousands of them over my lifetime. Substituting the J for honey is a nice alternate.
:confused::confused: With Paige and Azzi, PB&J's are the best. No substitutes

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If it was after Thanksgiving, I'd do Hot Brown sandwiches for supper. Thick toast, turkey breast, tomato, parmesan-cream sauce, all topped with slices of bacon. It's actually quite elegant and worthy of supper at the chez.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
After years of hearing about Elvis and his fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, I made one. I wasn’t sure exactly what it should look like but my guess was it was a grilled peanut butter sandwich with sliced bananas in it. Truth be told, it wasn’t bad, but I could feel my arteries hardening as I ate it. Haven’t had one since, but, I could do it again.

Had no idea that Elvis ate those sandwiches... I read about it in a magazine as a great post workout meal. I did forget to mention one important ingredient. Honey.

If it was after Thanksgiving, I'd do Hot Brown sandwiches for supper. Thick toast, turkey breast, tomato, parmesan-cream sauce, all topped with slices of bacon. It's actually quite elegant and worthy of supper at the chez.

My goodness. Just curious... whereabouts do you live again?? :p

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Had no idea that Elvis ate those sandwiches... I read about it in a magazine as a great post workout meal. I did forget to mention one important ingredient. Honey.

My goodness. Just curious... whereabouts do you live again?? :p
I'm in Maryland. The Hot Brown is a hotel in Louisville. I found this sandwich when looking for something local to Louisville to cook the night UConn was playing the Cards.

Reaction Score
I have a relative that owns a cheese shop/cafe, and one of their signature sandwiches is a grilled cheese (go figure:p) - it's on a sliced, seeded bread with pastrami, fontina cheese, and kimchi:eek: I was skeptical at first but it is definitely now one of my favorite sandwiches and I always get their house-made potato chips, but I can't indulge too much or my cholesterol will be looking for a saving grace :rolleyes::oops:

Reaction Score
Is a Taco a Sandwich?
Close enough. Used to eat them in a small place in Juarez. They had a choice, mild or hot sauce. I loved them with the hot sauce. It would probably kill me today.

Reaction Score
My final Public Service Announcement of 2021. Nov 3rd is National Sandwich Day, a beloved day celebrated by Americans across the land. Alot of national and regional chains are offering deals if you so choose. Go out and celebrate by getting a sandwich or two.. or making a sandwich or two at home.

My personal recommendations? I'd go with the thick cut fried bologna fried in a cast iron skillet... topped with pimento cheese, bacon, chili, cole slaw.. a few onions... between two slices of bread coated with both mayo and mustard. Or a healthier alternative... either a grilled peanut butter and traffic jam (or bear jam) sandwich hot off the pan... or a grilled peanut butter, nutella, and banana sandwich... :)
Like for National sandwich day
Dislike for that awful monstrosity

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Inspired by our resident gourmand, TDF, I checked the refrigerator for anything not within a thousand miles of fried balogna/baloney. Found a single pita, only a day past it’s suggested shelf life.

Sliced it in half, then filled both halves with chunks of smoked Gouda. Microwaved at high for thirty seconds. Served with a small bowl of home made crab apple sauce*. Not too bad.

*Recipe for crab apple sauce
1. harvest about 2.5 gallons of ripe crab apples. They are ripe in Maine by late October.
2. Rinse, clean the fruit, then put into a large cauldron. Cover with water. Add two large lemons, quartered.
3. Bring to a boil, then simmer for a half hour or until all the fruit is mushy.
4. Process through a foley mill, just as you would for normal apple sauce.
5. Add sugar and spices to taste. (For me, that is very little sugar, lots of nutmeg and a little ground clove and ground cinnamon.)

Makes about 8 pints of crabapple sauce. Tastes like apple sauce but with a kick! Save the water used to boil the fruit. Add honey. Decant into small Ball jars. No need to add pectin; the crab apples have plenty. The 4 pints of crabapple jelly are a nice bonus.

Prep time- 20 minutes to harvest fruit, 5 minutes to wash it, combine ingredients to cook, 30 minutes to run it through the mill and do the canning. 5 minutes to clean up. 5 minutes to walk to neighbors' house to share the bounty.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Like for National sandwich day
Dislike for that awful monstrosity

Which awful monstrosity were you referring to?
scratch.gif
scratch.gif

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Triad, have you ever tried peanut butter and bologna? Grilled or plain. Sounds awful, but my college roommate introduced me to it, and I loved it. I still have PB&B on saltines occasionally for a snack.

Reaction Score
Is a Taco a Sandwich?

Well, if the taco is prepared correctly (not at TacoBell or fast food) a good taco can be compared to a cheeseburger. Bread, beef, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion. The only difference is the sauce, but if you can forgive that it isn't mayo or mustard, then you're home free.

As an aside, when I lived in California there was a very small Mexican restaurant in San Jose, on a main drag but very small, only six tables. For lunch, they had a menu and made wonderful burritos and tacos. But for dinner, it was a place to die for. There was no menu. Every night was different. The family that owned it would make a feast for their family and anyone who cared to show up (takeout was offered). Basically, you had whatever they were having for dinner. A true and wonderful experience. I learned so much about Mexican cuisine and never once in four years did I have a bad experience.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Is a pita a sandwich? If you say yes to that, the lines get blurry when you switch to tacos. For that matter, is a burger a sandwich? These are all things w/ various meats and or/veggies plus sauces/condiments stuffed between bread or a bread equivalent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom