Nova's next coach? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nova's next coach?

Reaction Score
One of the things with Stevens was spending more time with his kids I believe. One of his kids is going to college next year, but he still has another in HS. I doubt he takes another coaching job for a few more years.

Reaction Score
One of the things with Stevens was spending more time with his kids I believe. One of his kids is going to college next year, but he still has another in HS. I doubt he takes another coaching job for a few more years.
Let him wait until Hurley retires

Reaction Score
Why exactly did Jay Wright retire? He looks like he could coach for 15 more years. He seems to be in good health.
I’d rather he return than Villanova continuing to be awful.
I vaguely remember rumblings that he didn’t like where the college game was going with NIL/transfers and didn’t want to deal with it. I wouldn’t begrudge him if that was correct. High level D1 coach has always been a grueling job, but I’m sure it’s magnitudes worse now.

Reaction Score
I vaguely remember rumblings that he didn’t like where the college game was going with NIL/transfers and didn’t want to deal with it. I wouldn’t begrudge him if that was correct. High level D1 coach has always been a grueling job, but I’m sure it’s magnitudes worse now.
I could see him coming back now that NI/transfer is a bit more settled if he's decided he misses the game. Expectations are more transparent now. Nova hired a GM to deal with that side of things.

Reaction Score
Why exactly did Jay Wright retire? He looks like he could coach for 15 more years. He seems to be in good health.
I think it was a combination of the changing CBB landscape (portal, NIL, etc.), UConn coming back to the conference, and just wanting to retire while he was still relatively young.

In the event that UConn leaves the Big East, I would not be shocked to see him take back his old job.

Reaction Score
I was told at the time that was the reason, he didn't like the direction of the sport and he didn't want to be the chief fundraiser while doing all the other grueling stuff that goes along with being a coach at a major program.

I was also told Nova is the only college job he would ever have and if the Knicks or Sixers called he would definitely listen.

Reaction Score
They're not getting rid of him until after next season at the earliest. Jay Wright had some rough patches too there.

Reaction Score
I was told at the time that was the reason, he didn't like the direction of the sport and he didn't want to be the chief fundraiser while doing all the other grueling stuff that goes along with being a coach at a major program.

I was also told Nova is the only college job he would ever have and if the Knicks or Sixers called he would definitely listen.
He looks like he’s enjoying retirement, never say never but I can’t see him getting back into coaching he gets paid enough in commericals snd part time analyst in March a far less stressful job.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If I were Nova I try to interview John Becker from Vermont. He’s done a solid up there and deserves a bigger coaching job in the sport.
He covered up a sexual assault scandal, so he’s staying put and not opening his mouth. No one will be interested in him for the next 3-5 years.

Reaction Score
Most Nova folks are like “ok, this guy was a jay’s guy and a very good assistant etc. But, he just wasn’t ready for this and is not getting the job done. Time to move on now “. i always felt like he should continue to be cutting his teeth at Fordhams, Fairfield’s or UMass-Lowell’s of the college scene..not a returning final four team with talent in damn Big East.
The problem is - it is reported that the university will likely give him his 3rd year. To me, that is administrative malpractice. The guys who are spending the big bucks (and thankfully nova is very well positioned in this regard) are supposedly starting to make their displeasure felt. The school is notoriously patient. So, there is THAT. …

Reaction Score
He looks like he’s enjoying retirement, never say never but I can’t see him getting back into coaching he gets paid enough in commericals snd part time analyst in March a far less stressful job.
He seems like an understated guy and not looking for the spotlight.

Larry Brown would probably be interested if he were younger. He is now in his 80's so no chance here.

Reaction Score

College sports is ruined with NIL/portal and what seems to be coming with the power conference break away or who knows what? Negotiating payouts with recruits and their parents/handlers has to be a nightmare on top of all the other demands of the job. Saban just another example.

Reaction Score
I've heard Stevens is on the hot seat in Boston after passing on Andre several times in the draft.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I am not sure why but the portal and ease of movement might have had something to do with it. He
was an exceptional coach who had a sophisticated system that was geared toward 4 year commitments. I am not sure anyone really knows but the "edge" he referred to may have had something to do with the above.

Why did Jay Wright retire? The Villanova legend explains.

Reaction Score
Jay Wright will be coaching the Knicks next year on a 10m x 3 year guaranteed contract :D

Reaction Score
Who's coaching Princeton these days? Maybe they'd move 50 miles down the road and take a few mil pay bump?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom