Nova is UConn’s biggest rival | The Boneyard

Nova is UConn’s biggest rival

Reaction Score
Right?

Georgetown and Cuse will always have each other first, and they have both been down too long.

Nova and UConn have a balanced history, titles, and are both competitive today.

Everyone agree?
I'd like for this to be true, and surely can be defined tonight!

Reaction Score
Right?

Georgetown and Cuse will always have each other first, and they have both been down too long.

Everyone agree?
I always considered it Syracuse, even Pitt when they were really good but no true natural rivalry. Nova and UConn have had some great games over the years but they were rarely great at the same time it seemed. It feels like more of a newer rivalry even though UConn had great battles against the Kittles Lawson teams and Foye, Allan Ray, Lowry team. UConn was king dogs in the 90's and 2000's, you guys are king dogs now. I think the two programs will be fighting for the title a lot over the years.

Reaction Score
for sure we are now.

always felt like we were the third wheel in the cuse v gtown thing based on their pre 1990s history, even though we were better than both programs from the mid 1990s to mid 2010s. this perception was confirmed during espn's atrocious "requiem for the big east" where calhoun had maybe 3 lines.

Last edited:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Right?

Everyone agree?
What makes a rivalry?

Competitive longevity
All time Classic matchups
Fan bases with irrational hatred for each other

For me, under that defined criteria, it’s still Syracuse.

The history goes back so far and the classics are so many (cherry topped by the 6OT thriller) that it’s hard to think of anyone else.

This board still eyes the cuse forum regularly and vice versa. The refrain next door is the always clever “F UConn”

The hate there is just on another level even if they two time on is with Gtown. They’re so hateable is it surprising another school hates them as much as we do?

Now. Is this game the most meaningful one this year? Absolutely. Does it mean more to beat nova based on their success of the last decade than it means to beat anyone else? You bet. But one look at Twitter will tell you that the fan base UConn loves to hate right now is Providence.

Whatever you want to call it, I’m just happy we’re back in the big East. Because games against Nova and Providence are way better than Tulsa and Tulane.

And UConn Nova could absolutely continue to evolve into the preeminent modern rivalry. I’m marrying into a Philly sports family. I would love it if it did.

Reaction Score
for sure we are now.

always felt like we were the third wheel in the cuse v gtown thing based on their pre 1990s history, even though we were better than both programs from the mid 1990s to mid 2010s. this perception was confirmed during the atrocious "requiem for the big east" where calhoun had maybe 3 lines.
Often the Rival perception isn’t mutual. In this case it is. We are officially each other’s greatest rival. UConn returning to the Big East made it happen.

Reaction Score
I think there is too much respect between our two programs to be true rivals. As I’ve said before, it’s hard to hate Jay Wright. JW coaches the right way, develops players, is active in the Nova community, and his suit game is unmatched.

We do both equally dislike Cuse though so the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Reaction Score
1. Nova
2. Cuse
3. Providence
4. Georgetown
5. St Johns
6. BC

AmIRight?

Reaction Score
What makes a rivalry?

Competitive longevity

The history goes back so far and the classics are so many (cherry topped by the 6OT thriller) that it’s hard to think of anyone else.

This board still eyes the cuse forum regularly and vice versa. The refrain next door is the always clever “F UConn”

The hate there is just on another level even if they two time on is with Gtown. They’re so hateable is it surprising another school hates them as much as we do?

Now. Is this game the most meaningful one this year? Absolutely. Does it mean more to beat nova based on their success of the last decade than it means to beat anyone else? You bet. But one look at Twitter will tell you that the fan base UConn loves to hate right now is Providence.

Whatever you want to call it, I’m just happy we’re back in the big East. Because games against Nova and Providence are way better than Tulsa and Tulane.

And UConn Nova could absolutely continue to evolve into the preeminent modern rivalry. I’m marrying into a Philly sports family. I would love it if it did.
I kind of miss having a yearly road game in a half empty glorified high school gym in New Orleans…not

Reaction Score
It will be in 5 years. Tonight is a big step in us becoming eachothers number one rivals. I think a lot of this board is a bit older and don’t realize these new generations of UConn fans really haven’t seen us play Cuse often.

Reaction Score
I think there is too much respect between our two programs to be true rivals. As I’ve said before, it’s hard to hate Jay Wright. JW coaches the right way, develops players, is active in the Nova community, and his suit game is unmatched.

We do both equally dislike Cuse though so the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Everyone loves Jay Wright and Jay loves Calhoun. Wright and Hurley really like each other too. There's a mutual respect between both programs and they cheer for each other when it doesn't impact them. Not your typical hated rival but they are the two best programs fighting for the same thing so yes they're rivals and I hope they rip each other's faces off tonight.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to take the next step and do what Calhoun did with the BE.. Win the big game. Including Nova games.

Year 4 of Rebuild

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1. Nova
2. Cuse
3. Providence
4. Georgetown
5. St Johns
6. BC

AmIRight?

I‘d still put Cuse up top, but games like this will shift it to Nova. Just need more of them. PC third. St. John’s 4th ahead. Cincinnati is probably #5 honestly. BC doesn‘t even register for Hoops after we beat them some 20 times in a row or whatever it was. UMass is ahead of them. Never felt Georgetown was a rival. Even Seton Hall and Pitt may have been more so.

In the tournament #1 remains Duke.

Reaction Score
I always considered it Syracuse, even Pitt when they were really good but no true natural rivalry. Nova and UConn have had some great games over the years but they were rarely great at the same time it seemed. It feels like more of a newer rivalry even though UConn had great battles against the Kittles Lawson teams and Foye, Allan Ray, Lowry team. UConn was king dogs in the 90's and 2000's, you guys are king dogs now. I think the two programs will be fighting for the title a lot over the years.
It’s too bad you missed the 80’s. Great Big East basketball.

Reaction Score
Nova 37 wins to UConn 31 wins in series history.
Refs had a lot to do with that.. Can't believe Jay and Gillespie get away with the bumpin' and thumpin' stuff..Can you?

Reaction Score
I would think in order to be a rival it requires not being blown out every single game….

Reaction Score
What makes a rivalry?

Competitive longevity

if we played them at MSG every year then sure but that's not happening. it's just ancient history with no future.

to me, Cuse is a slimy kid i went to middle school with, but then we graduated and went to different highschools across town. they got fat, got acne, and started sucking at sports. they became a loser not worth my time and energy. now when i go home to visit my mother they serve me fries at the drive-thru.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom