NOTRE DAME JOINS A CONFERENCE | The Boneyard

NOTRE DAME JOINS A CONFERENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
this was announced last week wasn't it? At least I remember there being a thread about it.

Reaction Score
I don't believe ND will join a conference as long as there is a BE. I just don't see why ND would join a conference unless they are forced to.

Reaction Score
BC is in that conference for hockey..... maybe it is a sign they are thinking ACC (or not).
Not related in any way. This is the result of the creation in 2 years of the Big 10 Hockey conference. As a result, the CCHA loses some marquee programs. Then several other "name" programs from the WCHA and the CCHA got together and formed another new league(North Dakota among them). They offered the Irish a slot as did Hockey East. The Big 10 only wanted all sports or nothing. I haven't followed all the details as to why the choice, but it has been rumored for a while that Notre Dame preferred Hockey East to the new league.

Reaction Score
Not related in any way. This is the result of the creation in 2 years of the Big 10 Hockey conference. As a result, the CCHA loses some marquee programs. Then several other "name" programs from the WCHA and the CCHA got together and formed another new league(North Dakota among them). They offered the Irish a slot as did Hockey East. The Big 10 only wanted all sports or nothing. I haven't followed all the details as to why the choice, but it has been rumored for a while that Notre Dame preferred Hockey East to the new league.
More so that the NCHC (new conference) did not want to give in to ND's TV demands. Also, travel would be more expansive for ND in the NCHC as it's primarily a western, northern central, and midwestern league. Also, ND has a larger alumni base in the east. But primarily, it was believed to be about ND's TV demands, which HE somewhat gave in to, it remains to be seen what the details of the NBC/Versus deal is with Hockey East and ND.

And yes, BC's presence in Hockey East has zero bearing on ND to the ACC or anything football related. It only signals that them going to the B1G is not in the near future.

Reaction Score
UConn women are also in that conference, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
More so that the NCHC (new conference) did not want to give in to ND's TV demands. Also, travel would be more expansive for ND in the NCHC as it's primarily a western, northern central, and midwestern league. Also, ND has a larger alumni base in the east. But primarily, it was believed to be about ND's TV demands, which HE somewhat gave in to, it remains to be seen what the details of the NBC/Versus deal is with Hockey East and ND.

And yes, BC's presence in Hockey East has zero bearing on ND to the ACC or anything football related. It only signals that them going to the B1G is not in the near future.
All of that makes sense to me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This pisses me off. ND joins the best basketball conference in the country. Now it joins the best hockey conference in the country (B1G would be #2). Both New England based! What's next? ND joins the SEC for baseball and Pac 10 for Golf and volleyball? A ceremonial invite to the Ivy League for its academic standing? Maybe the ultimate frisbee teams can compete with Williams and Amherst, or the crew team against Oxford and Cambridge.

Reaction Score
It could also mean ND is never going to join B1G now or in the future. I do believe if ND does join a conference, it will be the ACC. ACC meets ND's academic requirements and it got bunch of private schools like ND. In addition, ACC already has BCU, Pitt, Miami, SU and others that are already on ND's schedule.

Reaction Score
two things the way i see it. first, ND is not going to join a conference. ND has plenty of money, and their football program is still a serious money maker, even if their TV contract isn't quite what some of the conferences may get. second, the sooner the other conferences figure that out the better off we'll be. i find it odd that i'd never heard any kind of rumor about ND being interested in the ACC until a month ago, and now everyone's positive that'd be their preferred conference.

Reaction Score
two things the way i see it. first, ND is not going to join a conference. ND has plenty of money, and their football program is still a serious money maker, even if their TV contract isn't quite what some of the conferences may get. second, the sooner the other conferences figure that out the better off we'll be. i find it odd that i'd never heard any kind of rumor about ND being interested in the ACC until a month ago, and now everyone's positive that'd be their preferred conference.

I agree with you that ND will never join a conference. If they are forced to, they will end up in the ACC vs. B1G for the reasons I listed. I just wish all the conferences would stop hoping for ND because it will never happen. ND might only join another conference is they have absolutely no choice. A 4x16 super conference might force ND's hand if they are not part of it.

Reaction Score
What's sad here is if UConn didn't let their men's hockey program wallow in the craphole, today would've very likely been a joint press conference announcing ND and UConn joining Hockey East. HE has made it clear they're not stopping at 11, and they want to keep it local, so UConn would be the most obvious candidate as the biggest athletic program and brand name in New England, with existing rivalries with other current HE members such as BC, PC, and UMass. However, the fact that the AD hasn't paid one minute of attention to the program in about 15 years, they're not getting the call today. Fortunately, all of this hockey shuffling will not begin until the 2013-2014, and HE has not announced team 12, and is in no rush to, so I wouldn't be surprised if HE officials are calling UConn and telling them if they get their act together and put plans in place to improve the program, they'll be team #12. The conference also just announced a deal with NBC/Versus to show a bunch of games, the first national network to have a deal with a college hockey conference.

Reaction Score
The nos 1 choice for HE would be to add Miami OH to the league as a travel partner for ND. A significantly upgraded Uconn would be a no brainer if Miami stays put. At this point however they may look strongly at Quinnipiac, Clarkson and RPI.

NDs invitation to HE was not the slam dunk that many here have suggested. Signifcant opposition was raised by Maine, NH, and BU and others primarily concerned with the competitive threat to their dominance in the league and the loss of a league game against conference rivals. BCU played a role in getting this done.

Should ND ever make the move to the ACC not sure if this closer aligns ND with BCU.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
ND to the ACC will never happen. BC is really their only connection. It's ACC or nothing. They already play three B1G teams every year, Michigan, Mich St. and Purdue. They have Wake and UMD on the schedule this year, but that's not traditionally the case. Navy and USC are the other teams they more or less always play. Stanford is probably the next most common opponent. I refuse to believe that a school in northern Indiana, who's local market includes Chicago, wants to join a southern league.

If you look at the scheduling, it is designed to ensure that ND plays around the country. They only chance that they join a conference is and has always been the B1G. I agree the HE announcement signals that they won't join the B1G. That doesn't make the ACC more likely, it makes independent status a lock for the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
The nos 1 choice for HE would be to add Miami OH to the league as a travel partner for ND. A significantly upgraded Uconn would be a no brainer if Miami stays put. At this point however they may look strongly at Quinnipiac, Clarkson and RPI.

NDs invitation to HE was not the slam dunk that many here have suggested. Signifcant opposition was raised by Maine, NH, and BU and others primarily concerned with the competitive threat to their dominance in the league and the loss of a league game against conference rivals. BCU played a role in getting this done.

Should ND ever make the move to the ACC not sure if this closer aligns ND with BCU.
Miami isn't an option, they already joined the new NCHC. Plus, HE doesn't want another western team. The rumored choice has been RPI. Clarkson has no shot at happening, QU is considered too small time, though could still happen. Again, if UConn got off their ass a few years ago, they'd already be in.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is never going anywhere for football. Ever. They make a ton of money as an independent and don't want to have to split that 12, or 16, ways.

Reaction Score
UConn really should upgrade hockey, give schollys, build a suitable facility.

I know it would require a lot of $$$ and times are obviously tuff... that reason alone unfortunately is the greatest deterrent to building a real program.
That said it is the right thing to do for the flagship New England University AND there appears to be a window of opportunity to do so. Tick tock.
Prolly won't happen which is sad.
I guess having four walls (compared last centurty's old wind tunnel) is improvement enough for the powers that be. Not for me.
The women have been competitive for awhile...I'd like to see the same for the men's team. But that takes more buck$.

Hockey fans unite! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#