NOTES: FCS to FBS; Bad to Good | The Boneyard

NOTES: FCS to FBS; Bad to Good

Reaction Score
Craig Thompson, commissioner of the Mountain West Conference, stated that he had talked to two University Presidents Friday about joining the MWC. That could be AAC conference members bailing on the ship as the dollars from their TV realignment clause becomes a topic; more likely it is the buzz you can pick up from formerly dominant FCS football programs. Montana and North Dakota State. Both had articles in their recent newspapers. Turns out that the vocalizing in ND is loud: give us an opportunity is what the President is saying. Turns out that both Montana and Montana State were approached back in the formative days of the MWC when AAC was flirting with TCU etc. They picked up some WAC.

The other notable column is UC Davis. What WE often don't recognize in the east: UC Davis is the number 4 Public University in the country. Notable athletic success in California type sports - swimming, water polo, volleyball. They do have a Picnic Day event that I have attended that draws 100,000. The pushback for some time has been ... we have too many FBS Programs in California. You have the same number as Ohio; with multiple times the numbers. Boise is good because? Cal recruiting. Utah too. Colorado. You have a stellar Public University and ... no sports. Buffalo, Albany, Stony Brook are 3 of the 4 SUNY Top University Centers and they were let loose to play at the highest levels in 1996 or so. Albany and Stony Brook were 20,000 schools playing Albertus Magnus type schedule in the 1980s. We are at the point that Athletic Departments are thinking of how to address these. And I think UCONN Independent success brings a new flavor: you might be able to balance a budget without conference.

Al Golden is in the Temple Sports Hall of Fame. They just had a celebration of the 2006 team. And Golden to Matt Rhule is a direct line as Rhule came through his very first staff hires. Why bring this up ... as UCONN is 1-7 after our last 2-10 year. In 17 years, Temple never won more than 4 games. Up until 2006. Six years they won only one game; one year they won zero. There is absolutely the path to get to a respectable bowl oriented Program; and sustain it over several coaches - with the right hires. You have to be able to fit your University to a recruiting harvest (and I would say HCRE + Corey had this better than PP and Diaco). But, with Institutional commitment, we can get there; and sometimes this has happened relatively fast.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Craig Thompson, commissioner of the Mountain West Conference, stated that he had talked to two University Presidents Friday about joining the MWC. That could be AAC conference members bailing on the ship as the dollars from their TV realignment clause becomes a topic; more likely it is the buzz you can pick up from formerly dominant FCS football programs. Montana and North Dakota State. Both had articles in their recent newspapers. Turns out that the vocalizing in ND is loud: give us an opportunity is what the President is saying. Turns out that both Montana and Montana State were approached back in the formative days of the MWC when AAC was flirting with TCU etc. They picked up some WAC.

The other notable column is UC Davis. What WE often don't recognize in the east: UC Davis is the number 4 Public University in the country. Notable athletic success in California type sports - swimming, water polo, volleyball. They do have a Picnic Day event that I have attended that draws 100,000. The pushback for some time has been ... we have too many FBS Programs in California. You have the same number as Ohio; with multiple times the numbers. Boise is good because? Cal recruiting. Utah too. Colorado. You have a stellar Public University and ... no sports. Buffalo, Albany, Stony Brook are 3 of the 4 SUNY Top University Centers and they were let loose to play at the highest levels in 1996 or so. Albany and Stony Brook were 20,000 schools playing Albertus Magnus type schedule in the 1980s. We are at the point that Athletic Departments are thinking of how to address these. And I think UCONN Independent success brings a new flavor: you might be able to balance a budget without conference.

Al Golden is in the Temple Sports Hall of Fame. They just had a celebration of the 2006 team. And Golden to Matt Rhule is a direct line as Rhule came through his very first staff hires. Why bring this up ... as UCONN is 1-7 after our last 2-10 year. In 17 years, Temple never won more than 4 games. Up until 2006. Six years they won only one game; one year they won zero. There is absolutely the path to get to a respectable bowl oriented Program; and sustain it over several coaches - with the right hires. You have to be able to fit your University to a recruiting harvest (and I would say HCRE + Corey had this better than PP and Diaco). But, with Institutional commitment, we can get there; and sometimes this has happened relatively fast.
100%

Reaction Score
During the PP era, UConn was bringing in some good QBs: Nebrich in 2011 (really an Edsall recruit), Cochran and Whitmer in 2012, Boyle and Lagow in 2013, then Diaco came in and QB recruiting collapsed. Shirreffs transferred to UConn in 2014 but not eligible until 2015, Tyler Davis in 2015 (great TE, but not a QB), and Donovan Williams in 2016 (again, decent player, but not a QB).

If UConn can hire a coach that can recruit and coach QBs, I think UConn will recover.

Reaction Score
During the PP era, UConn was bringing in some good QBs: Nebrich in 2011 (really an Edsall recruit), Cochran and Whitmer in 2012, Boyle and Lagow in 2013, then Diaco came in and QB recruiting collapsed. Shirreffs transferred to UConn in 2014 but not eligible until 2015, Tyler Davis in 2015 (great TE, but not a QB), and Donovan Williams in 2016 (again, decent player, but not a QB).

If UConn can hire a coach that can recruit and coach QBs, I think UConn will recover.
Moorhead can do that.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
swimming, water polo, volleyball

I wish

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads