OT: - Not even one COY vote for Brad Stevens ?!!!? | The Boneyard

OT: Not even one COY vote for Brad Stevens ?!!!?

Reaction Score
Fellow coaches threw the donut at Brad in COY voting. No Hayward. Lose Kyrie and finish 2nd in East. I'm a Knicks fan and I don't get it. Not one of 29 other guys.

I would take him before any coach.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I've heard whispers that some around the NBA resent that Stevens has gotten a lot of attention, disproportionate to what he's actually won. It wouldn't surprise me if that sentiment is shared by his fellow coaches.

Reaction Score
This series has been a clinic on attacking mismatches. The way they flare Horford, Morris, and even Baynes to pull Embiid and then attack Redick, Belinelli, and Ilyasova is just so well-schemed and executed. Guys like Smart are playing in the post now and waging hell on the other end.

The biggest compliment you can pay Stevens is that he's a guy who consistently defies Vegas. Their stock totally plummeted when Irving went down and he's pretty much built it back to where it was. Winning this series in 5 potentially as a significant underdog has blown me away and I had learned by that point not to underestimate him. Guy just knows how to take what he has and assemble the best possible team.

Reaction Score
This series has been a clinic on attacking mismatches. The way they flare Horford, Morris, and even Baynes to pull Embiid and then attack Redick, Belinelli, and Ilyasova is just so well-schemed and executed. Guys like Smart are playing in the post now and waging hell on the other end.

The biggest compliment you can pay Stevens is that he's a guy who consistently defies Vegas. Their stock totally plummeted when Irving went down and he's pretty much built it back to where it was. Winning this series in 5 potentially as a significant underdog has blown me away and I had learned by that point not to underestimate him. Guy just knows how to take what he has and assemble the best possible team.
They use Horford really well...
20180509_194105_Film41.jpg

Reaction Score
Next, show the one where Simmons shoves Tatum and somehow gets to go to the line.

Use as much bandwidth as you need.

I bet Reddick didn't get the call because he's been flopping all series. But then again, we Husky fans know all about that.
I was watching the Yankees Red Sox, my buddy sent it to me. Redick is 90% as good as Klay Thompson, he should get those calls.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
IMO: background as college coach...jumping over older, long-time assistants in the pros to get the Boston job accounts for zero peer votes....ridiculous!

Reaction Score
IMO: background as college coach...jumping over older, long-time assistants in the pros to get the Boston job accounts for zero peer votes....ridiculous!

There's a massive amount of irony if that's the case; in the country's most progressive league where 18-year-olds have come in and transformed the league without waiting their turn.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I've heard whispers that some around the NBA resent that Stevens has gotten a lot of attention, disproportionate to what he's actually won. It wouldn't surprise me if that sentiment is shared by his fellow coaches.
That's a load of Bunkey. This is his 5th year of coaching the C's and his W/L has improved every year. Last year they reached the conference finals by featuring a 5'9" journeyman. This year they reach the conference finals with Hayward out for the year and their best player out for the last month plus playoffs. If that's the case, it's unfounded resentment and jealousy. He does more with less than any other NBA coach. He lets guys do what they're good at and puts them in a position to succeed. He optimizes matchups.

Reaction Score
So what? The media loves Doc as well and Kerr and love-hate (lots of press) for Popovich, D'antoni & SVG. I think its more the fact that Brad Stevens works harder & that's what they know & resent.

Everybody was shoving everyone in last night's Celtics - Sixers game, there were a lot of FT in the 2nd half and very choppy play but they could have called 2 x the fouls (especially in the first half that begot the 2nd).

It is astonishing that the Celtics got 25 and 24 out of Brown (14.4ppg series) & Tatum (23.6) last night, both of whom outscored Embid and Simmons ppg for the series yet - all we heard about is Simmons and Embid are the two best players in the series. And of course Horford consistently outplayed Embid on both ends (Al played a part in stifling offense of both Simmons & Embid) especially down the stretch. Embid & Simmons might have the highest upside, but right now Tatum (118pts, 52.6%) is a more effective player than either (Embid 115pts, 44.1%, Simmons 72pts 47.5%), Horford easily the best two-way player in the series and Brown the best offensive player on the court last night. If the Celtics weren't so good maybe the other coaches wouldn't be so consistently put out listening to Brad Stevens' praise.

Most of the time its win and good things come. This is flat out envy. Narrative wins more votes in the NBA than winning does. See Westbrook last year, this year Toronto and Philly. Celtics back-to-back conference finals with roster overhaul and injuries is the most obvious coach of the year case you could possibly make. I know votes come in before playoffs, but they have to fix that cuz this Casey vote and last year's Westbrook are flat out embarrassing.

So far in playoffs COY humiliated, ROY undressed, is MVP exposed coming up next?

Reaction Score
Dwane Casey's reward for winning COY, getting embarrassingly destroyed in a Cavs sweep and losing his job.
Cancun! EDIT: Wait, that was Alvin Gentry.... I dont watch that much NBA...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So what? The media loves Doc as well and Kerr and love-hate (lots of press) for Popovich, D'antoni & SVG. I think its more the fact that Brad Stevens works harder & that's what they know & resent.

Everybody was shoving everyone in last night's Celtics - Sixers game, there were a lot of FT in the 2nd half and very choppy play but they could have called 2 x the fouls (especially in the first half that begot the 2nd).

It is astonishing that the Celtics got 25 and 24 out of Brown (14.4ppg series) & Tatum (23.6) last night, both of whom outscored Embid and Simmons ppg for the series yet - all we heard about is Simmons and Embid are the two best players in the series. And of course Horford consistently outplayed Embid on both ends (Al played a part in stifling offense of both Simmons & Embid) especially down the stretch. Embid & Simmons might have the highest upside, but right now Tatum (118pts, 52.6%) is a more effective player than either (Embid 115pts, 44.1%, Simmons 72pts 47.5%), Horford easily the best two-way player in the series and Brown the best offensive player on the court last night. If the Celtics weren't so good maybe the other coaches wouldn't be so consistently put out listening to Brad Stevens' praise.

Most of the time its win and good things come. This is flat out envy. Narrative wins more votes in the NBA than winning does. See Westbrook last year, this year Toronto and Philly. Celtics back-to-back conference finals with roster overhaul and injuries is the most obvious coach of the year case you could possibly make. I know votes come in before playoffs, but they have to fix that cuz this Casey vote and last year's Westbrook are flat out embarrassing.

So far in playoffs COY humiliated, ROY undressed, is MVP exposed coming up next?

So many non-calls late in that game. I almost laughed when Philly intentionally fouled to stop the clock and got the call, because that was the lightest contact during that 4 minute stretch and they called it, while stuff that you'd expect on a football field went uncalled. The shoulder that Embiid put into Baynes' chest would have sent many guys ten feet into the stands.

I think there is some jealousy of Stevens, and there may be some who resent that he didn't come up via the NBA coaching fraternity.

Reaction Score
It's definitely true that Stevens gets an inordinate amount of attention relative to the amount he's won in his career. Bill Simmons calling him President. NBA Twitter/Reddit going nuts for the ATO vines/whatever they call quick highlights these days. Reddit has a "Brad Stevens highlight" video right now with 1300 upvotes which is just a few minutes of him on the sideline.

I think he deserves it. Other coaches probably disagree and are somewhat understandably jealous.

I think its more the fact that Brad Stevens works harder & that's what they know & resent.

Bingo. They probably THINK they work just as hard, too. Either they're wrong or Stevens is just a savant. Both might be true anyways.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom