North Carolina, UConn, Michigan State, Memphis, Iowa State, Colorado, and Dayton will headline the 2024 Maui Invitational (Rothstein) | The Boneyard

North Carolina, UConn, Michigan State, Memphis, Iowa State, Colorado, and Dayton will headline the 2024 Maui Invitational (Rothstein)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, love it! Do we know where we'll be playing in 2023?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Only odd years now, so they won't be in the field in 2024. Even years like 2024 they get 2 games scheduled on the mainland portion but are not in the tournament
Ahhh - OK. I didn't know they made that change.

Reaction Score
Someone remind me where we're going in 2023?
I don’t think we have one yet. We’re in the Empire Classic with Louisville, IU, and Texas, but I think that is just gonna be one game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is it just me or do we draw Michigan State in like 80% of these preseason tournaments?
Sure does feel like it’s been that way for the last 15 years.
2011 Maui, 2013 Germany, 2017 PK80, 2021 Bahamas, potentially 2022 PK85, and 2024 Maui.

Between all of that and the 2009 FF & 2014 E8 we have a pretty nice matchup history with them.

Part of it is mechanism of teams only being able to play these tourneys every so often. When you start working the ouji board of what teams last played when and trying for geographical and conference variety you get stuck in almost a pod system of what teams are available for each tournament each year.

Reaction Score
Can’t wait to pitch this trip to my wife.
My wife has been saying for a few years now that she wants to get back to Hawaii and I told her we'll go next time the Huskies are in Maui. I just texted her Rothstein's tweet and she said we're there. Guess I don't have any more excuses not to go. My wallet is feeling a lot lighter already.

Reaction Score
No I’ll take the premier out of market game vs. scheduling for a recruit.
I hear ya, but what is so bad about playing Washington or Gonzaga (as part of a neutral court double-header) in Seattle as part of a homecoming for a recruit? It's done a lot (Geno does it quite often, actually). It shows the recruit that we care about them enough to schedule a game so that their family that is thousands of miles away gets to see their kid play right down the street. I hope we do this for Stephon Castle with a game in the Atlanta area. (We've got NY, MD/DC/VA covered with our Big East schedule).

Reaction Score
I hear ya, but what is so bad about playing Washington or Gonzaga (as part of a neutral court double-header) in Seattle as part of a homecoming for a recruit? It's done a lot (Geno does it quite often, actually). It shows the recruit that we care about them enough to schedule a game so that their family that is thousands of miles away gets to see their kid play right down the street. I hope we do this for Stephon Castle with a game in the Atlanta area. (We've got NY, MD/DC/VA covered with our Big East schedule).
At first I rolled my eyes at this idea, but it's starting to grow on me. Could be a powerful recruiting pitch if the program becomes known to do such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom