Non-Key Tweets | Page 982 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I heard University of Hawaii is a priority for the ACC
"Our media partner wanted us to expand our geographic reach so we could lock down that coveted 2 AM game slot. We believe insomniacs are a highly under served demographic bracket."

Reaction Score
Does anyone on here know if these numbers include or exclude Power Conference media money which inflate some schools or if they are strictly based on other factors?

Reaction Score
I raise the revenue question because the widespread use of revenue as an argument by nearly every sports commentator seems disingenuous, often promoting a biased narrative against UConn. So the question stands ... do the numbers noted above include TV/Media money for the haves in Power conferences? For example today...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I raise the revenue question because the widespread use of revenue as an argument by nearly every sports commentator seems disingenuous, often promoting a biased narrative against UConn. So the question stands ... do the numbers noted above include TV/Media money for the haves in Power conferences? For example today...

I saw that this morning and stopped watching after the first few minutes. He was looking at UConn’s proposal to the big 12 from back when we were in the AAC. And he scoffed at the notion that we were near NYC and Boston as a selling point.

Can’t take a guy like that seriously. Get some facts and come back and see me

Reaction Score
The podcaster is only telling his audience a fraction of the story. While he's saying that UConn is begging to join the XII, he's telling the listeners that it is only basketball along with Gonzaga. He's acting as if UConn has no football team. In reality, UConn wouldn't accept an invitation to the XII without inclusion of it's football team. Football inclusion IS the reason for the request.

Reaction Score
Welp - that still leaves the ACC with:

1) BC
2) Syracuse
3) Pitt or GT
4) Duke
5) Wake
6) Miami
7) SMU
8) Cal
9) Stanford
10) ND ... maybe

So then add:
11) UConn
12) WashState
13) OregonState
14) maybe Memphis or USF.

The National Atlantic-Pacific Conf.
If I had to guess, the 6 potential additions to a new ACC would be UConn, USF, SDST, Tulane, WSU and OSU (in that order)

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If I had to guess, the 6 potential additions to a new ACC would be UConn, USF, SDST, Tulane, WSU and OSU (in that order)
I think they only need 3 to replace what they would lose in this scenario. They already brought in Stanford, Cal and SMU and are required to 15.

Reaction Score
I think UConn should be patient and carefully evaluate all moves and situations for the near future.
Plenty of scenarios may come to fruition.
OSU/WSU expand under PAC banner with Gonzaga/UConn football as a member.
Whatever’s left of the ACC merges with the Big East. Or UConn joins as member of ACC.
Big 12 expands again.

From what I’ve read here, the NCAA basketball payout is different than football which undervalues basketball powerhouses. If B1G/SEC do somehow restructure into some “super league”, they could rewrite that payout and find us a place at that table.
Our brand is peaking now, we need to utilize this to our advantage.

Reaction Score
I think UConn should be patient and carefully evaluate all moves and situations for the near future.
Plenty of scenarios may come to fruition.
OSU/WSU expand under PAC banner with Gonzaga/UConn football as a member.
Whatever’s left of the ACC merges with the Big East. Or UConn joins as member of ACC.
Big 12 expands again.

From what I’ve read here, the NCAA basketball payout is different than football which undervalues basketball powerhouses. If B1G/SEC do somehow restructure into some “super league”, they could rewrite that payout and find us a place at that table.
You do realize when that day comes they intend on writing UConn a big fat zero, yes?

Edit: the power schools have all the time in the world and will wait things out

Reaction Score
So many places to put this post. Here is as good as any.

The opportunity that was in front of us after the Fiesta Bowl season is here again. The window is 1-?? years. Hurleys claim to have the support necessary to sustain success has to be a reality...for Football. I think M&W Hoops backing is a given.

1. Mora has to be given those same resources
2. He has to succeed

The narrative from the Governors office down has to be the same. This is do or die for Athletics at UConn. A B1G invite is the goal, nothing less. Failure to secure a "place at the table" will lead to who knows what kind of future. Anyone that is pitching or being pitched to should be able to understand what is going on.

Lyrics to a Country song apply here
"Give me just one more last chance"

Nobody can predict how long it will take before the P2 Boa Constrictor squeezes the life out of many Athletic programs, but this pitch has to be couched in the possibility of success, winning a National Championship in Football, not in the possibility of the destruction of the Athletic program.

Not sure if that opportunity truly exists, but with guys like Patman preaching the inevitability of our demise, or inability to capitalize, we'll have no chance. Dave Benedict knows what is at stake, but we have to be Governor and Board of Trustees level of committed.

Where do I contribute to the Football NIL collective?

Go Huskies!!

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
If B1G/SEC do somehow restructure into some “super league”, they could rewrite that payout and find us a place at that table.
Those 2 bloodsucking conferences took the best pieces of the BIG12 and PAC12 causing the first to reactionary inflate leading to the death of the second, for which four (ultimately two) notable institutions were left stranded. There is little chance they would invite "upstart" UConn to the table considering their cutthroat behavior. @Patman is right, they aren't giving UConn anything other than a middle finger. With improvement, UConn football needs to be better than the lower half teams in the P2, then maybe we'd get looked at more seriously...it's no small challenge, but I hope it's a fight we can win.

Reaction Score
So many places to put this post. Here is as good as any.

The opportunity that was in front of us after the Fiesta Bowl season is here again. The window is 1-?? years. Hurleys claim to have the support necessary to sustain success has to be a reality...for Football. I think M&W Hoops backing is a given.

1. Mora has to be given those same resources
2. He has to succeed

Things have gotten better in the support staffing area for football but they still aren’t all the way there (at least as far as going all in). Case in point the recruiting budget:

MBB: $744,942 (32.4%)
FB: $525,047 (22.8%)
WBB: $515,879 (22.4%)

Total for all sports: $2.3M

Just given the number of roster spots that need to be filled annually it would seem like football is underfunded on a per recruit basis (I’d assume it’s in part robbing Peter to pay Paul, by taking from the recruiting budget to pay for some of the additional staffing). That isn’t to say they should change the support for basketball (in fact I’d assume the MBB budget will increase as a part of the commitments made in Hurley’s next (well deserved) extension), but that they need to find more $$$ for football somewhere.

In the end.. UConn Football needs to be respectable.. if they get there then there’s the chance they can find a life raft. If not, well it’ll be interesting to see what the machinations of the power conferences will mean for UConn sports over the long term.

Reaction Score
Those 2 bloodsucking conferences took the best pieces of the BIG12 and PAC12 causing the first to reactionary inflate leading to the death of the second, for which four (ultimately two) notable institutions were left stranded. There is little chance they would invite "upstart" UConn to the table considering their cutthroat behavior. @Patman is right, they aren't giving UConn anything other than a middle finger. With improvement, UConn football needs to be better than the lower half teams in the P2, then maybe we'd get looked at more seriously...it's no small challenge, but I hope it's a fight we can win.
You’ve missed my point totally.
First off I suggested four more likely scenarios before the last suggestion quoted.
Second, there’s been speculation on the Boneyard regarding a super-conference breakaway from the NCAA led by B1G and SEC. Once again, if that were to happen, I’d imagine it would be structured to maximize revenue generated for its member schools from all sports. They’ve already shown their greediness. With WBB games viewership exceeding NBA games, it makes perfect sense to drop the ncaa model. And certainly, non P2 basketball brands like UConn, Kansas, UNC, and Duke would generate more revenue than the likes of Vandy, Mississippi St, Minnesota, Indiana, etc.
Plus, UConn has shown multiple times when they put their mind to it they know how to build competitive teams. It started with soccer, wbb, mbb (twice), baseball, and hockey. And, we’ve done it with football when we had interesting rivals and playing on a level budgeted playing field. No one cared about our AAC rivals and revenue was way behind P5.

CL82

Reaction Score
Does anyone on here know if these numbers include or exclude Power Conference media money which inflate some schools or if they are strictly based on other factors?

It includes media revenue. If Connecticut were to join the big 12 or the current ACC it would jump from 50th to 31st. If it were a member of the big 10 or the SEC it would jump to number 13.

Saying Connecticut isn't worthy of joining a P5 conference because of its revenue is circular reasoning. It's basically saying it doesn't deserve P5 money because it doesn't make P5 money.

Reaction Score
It includes media revenue. If Connecticut were to join the big 12 or the current ACC it would jump from 50th to 31st. If it were a member of the big 10 or the SEC it would jump to number 13.

Saying Connecticut isn't worthy of joining a P5 conference because of its revenue is circular reasoning. It's basically saying it doesn't deserve P5 money because it doesn't make P5 money.
Also, I don’t believe you are even factoring in the ticket revenue football would add by being in a power conference. It’s a big number.

CL82

Reaction Score

If this was from anyone else but Lambert it would be an interesting development. Yes, FSU leaving means they leave their grant of rights behind with the ACC, but, essentially, the ACC has transferred that GOR to ESPN. If ESPN is not going to penalize the ACC for FSU leaving, then they probably have no damages. Note that doesn't mean that they would not still have to pay, what about 130 million in exit fees, but the impediment was trying to quantify what the buyback would be for the GOR. If what Lambert said is correct, and there's a first time for everything, I guess, then that valuation issue goes away and the question is merely is FSU willing to pony up $130 million in order to leave the ACC.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Not a tweet, but more Big 12 and UConn speculation.

After last summer's big 12 expansion, I thought Big 12 would wait to see what happens with the ACC before the next expansion, but I'm shifting my thinking.

I think Yormark will push to add UConn for all sports, even if un-even in numbers for now. I think growth into the Northeast and UConn's basketball dominance are too big of opportunities to pass up. I think we're worth more than any of the potential ACC leftovers, but what do I know.

Reaction Score
C.W. Lambert@InsideTheBig12
I have some legit insider information from a source in the sports broadcasting industry that I was going to write up and disseminate, but I don't have the time. So, I'm just going to spill the beans here and now and see who takes notice.

·
11h
But first, do me a favor, remember who, what and when. Keep track of how many of the details I'm sharing tonight come to fruition.

·
11h
ESPN has approached FSU, Clemson and the ACC about a potential settlement allowing the Seminoles & Tigers to leave the ACC whenever they want. But an ESPN brokered deal is only possible if FSU and Clemson leave for the SEC. Why? I'm glad you asked.

·
11h
ESPN is the exclusive rights holder for both the ACC & SEC. Moreover, ESPN is a partner in both the ACCN and SECN. ESPN would not lose money if FSU & Clemson are in the SEC as opposed to the ACC.

·
11h
The basics of the potential settlement are:
1. FSU & Clemson would pay an exit fee equal to what Texas & Oklahoma paid to exit the Big 12 + a %.
2. The ACC would retain the rights to FSU & Clemson home games BUT license those rights to the ESPN for SEC broadcasts.

·
11h
3. The ACC receives 50% of the fair market (SEC) value of FSU & Clemson home games in both football & basketball. The % the ACC receives would decrease each year of the agreement.

·
11h
4. ESPN would pick up the option on the ACC's contract until 2036, but would renegotiate terms to reflect the loss of value from losing FSU & Clemson.
5. The SEC - namely FSU & Clemson - would be contractually obligated to play a top tier ACC program each year.

·
11h
My source tells me the details above are the initial - opening proposition and they will change slightly as negotiations change the details, but the basics will remain the same. Why? I'm glad you asked.

·
11h
The proposed settlement mitigates the damages to everyone. The ACC survives because ESPN picks up the option to 2036. But their losses will be offset by the % of the FSU & Clemson rights they retain.

·
11h
FSU & Clemson win by leaving the ACC. 50% of SEC is more than 100% of ACC money and each year they claw back a % of their home media rights.

·
11h
Everyone saves legal fees and public embarrassment. Expect the % the ACC receives of FSU & Clemson's TV rights to be negotiated down from the starting point of 50%. 35% is more likely the starting point. Expect that to drop by 3-5% each year until its 0.

·
11h
But you can expect the ACC will retain some % of FSU & Clemson's rights until 2036.

·
11h
My source pointed out it's critical that the ACC negotiate in good faith and accept the survival of the conference depends on the acceptance of this offer at the best terms they can negotiate... but the ACC doesn't have much leverage.

·
11h
If the ACC doesn't settle with FSU & Clemson, then ESPN will not pick up the option on its TV contract. They will have no TV revenue beginning in 2027 and the conference will breach the terms of the GoR thus voiding it.

·
11h
Expect a settlement in time to allow FSU and Clemson to begin SEC play in 2025/2026.

·
11h
And yes, ESPN will pressure the SEC to take them both. Why? ESPN has accepted the inevitable departure of FSU & Clemson from the ACC. ESPN losses considerable money if FSU and Clemson end up in the Big Ten. ESPN will do everything it can to avoid that scenario.

·
11h
But, here's a warning to the ACC and its fans. The ACC can't play hardball. If it becomes clear the ACC and FSU/Clemson can't reach an agreement, then ESPN will promptly decline the 2027 ACC option and engineer the move of the ACC's top football properties to the SEC & Big 12.

·
11h
The Big 12 would benefit the most from the ACC's refusal to use common sense and avoid disaster. But it would necessarily be an economic boon the Big 12. Think pro rata additions... plus a contract extension that gives the Big 12 security until 2036.

·
11h
The takeaway is this... The ACC can save itself by being pragmatic. But an agreement of this nature requires that all parties involved use common sense and see the writing on the wall clearly.

·
11h
Unfortunately, it's not an automatic that the ACC realizes its predicament and accepts it has no choice but listen to ESPN. There's a fault line running through the ACC that divides its membership in half.

·
11h
Some, like UNC, are going to be unhappy. The question is will the ACC's new contract - resulting from a settlement - pay schools like Louisville, Miami, NCST, and VT enough? Will the renegotiated contract pay enough to win a supermajority of votes needed to approve a settlement?

·
11h
Here's my advice to the ACC... remember what happened to the Pac 12.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
The whole thing just seems like a convoluted money laundering operation moving teams here and there to rewrite media contracts...only thing that seems somewhat clear is that ESPN won't even move a toothpick to get UConn into a Px conference.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
He completely ignored that once a deal is made for them to move to the SEC, doesn't that force the ACC to make a deal with anyone that wants to leave? And if enough leave, they may not have a conference left anyway.

Reaction Score
The ACC needs to man up.

The know that the three bigs are gone.

But they need to solidify what’s left.

The only way to do that is by striking the Big 12. Poach WVU and Cincy. They don’t fit anyways there.

Then you add UConn and boom. You have old Big East again. That holds a ton of value.

If they don’t do something like this then best case they end as a new version of the AAC, or worse the PAC 12; dead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom