Non-Key Tweets | Page 935 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
No. Could we use words more carefully. The SEC “has” the Alabama market. The ACC does not “have” the New England and New York markets. The ACC is “in” the New England and New York markets. There is a huge difference. Especially with the New York market, adding UConn would not mean the ACC “has” the New York market. It would, however, greatly strengthen the ACC in the New York market.

Being in a market gets you on cable boxes. A few years ago that was the dominant factor for a conference economically.. We are moving towards eyeballs mattering, and not just market presence.
I believe that the 5 biggest college ‘brands’ in NYC between TV ratings/eyeballs; and alumni is 1) Rutgers, 2) Syracuse, 3) UConn, 4) Notre Dame, and 5) Penn St.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe that the 5 biggest college ‘brands’ in NYC between TV ratings/eyeballs; and alumni is 1) Rutgers, 2) Syracuse, 3) UConn, 4) Notre Dame, and 5) Penn St.
Lol, I'm sure you do believe that. It isn't remotely accurate, but accuracy is not necessary for belief, right?

Last edited:

GG

Reaction Score
Rutgers plays basketball?

Reaction Score
Lol, I'm sure you do believe that. It isn't remotely accurate, but accuracy is not necessary for belief, right?
When Rutgers was added to the B1G, WSJ came out with a report that combined ‘official’ alumni numbers with fans of college football in NYC. It’s behind a paywall.

Rutgers was far and away #1, which makes sense considering the size of the school and how close it is. Syracuse and UConn were the next two and basically tied. ND came in at #4 by combining a mix of actual ND alumni and those who graduated from other Catholic colleges who are also loyal to ND as football fans (BC who?). Penn St. was 5th, which is understandable based on how big it is both in terms of students (40K undergraduates at University Park v. 24K in Storrs, which is 10K more than just 20 years ago), college football history, and that it is just 100 miles further from NYC than Storrs (btw, same distance as Syracuse).

Reaction Score
When Rutgers was added to the B1G, WSJ came out with a report that combined ‘official’ alumni numbers with fans of college football in NYC. It’s behind a paywall.

Rutgers was far and away #1, which makes sense considering the size of the school and how close it is. Syracuse and UConn were the next two and basically tied. ND came in at #4 by combining a mix of actual ND alumni and those who graduated from other Catholic colleges who are also loyal to ND as football fans (BC who?). Penn St. was 5th, which is understandable based on how big it is both in terms of students (40K undergraduates at University Park v. 24K in Storrs, which is 10K more than just 20 years ago), college football history, and that it is just 100 miles further from NYC than Storrs (btw, same distance as Syracuse).

Access full article here <<

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'd like to see the breakdown of alumni and fans for Rutgers (I imagine the WSJ's numbers are almost entirely alumni).

If they only counted those who care about college football Rutgers' number would be miniscule. If that a large number in NYC cared about Rutgers, New York bars would be selling a whole lot more alcohol.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the breakdown of alumni and fans for Rutgers (I imagine the WSJ's numbers are almost entirely alumni).

If they only counted those who care about college football Rutgers' number would be miniscule. If that a large number in NYC cared about Rutgers, New York bars would be selling a whole lot more alcohol.
It's a really stupid list. I think it's pretty safe to say most Rutgers grads aren't big Rutgers sports fans.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

This whole venture they are on is going to blow up in their face. And it must really suck to be WVU right now…your current conference mates are dumping on you, but so too are schools they voted in.

Reaction Score
Unless the payoff is 3X+ for basketball only to the Big 12, UConn should stay put in the Big East for now. That said, regardless of what happens, the next 2-4 years will determine UConn's long term fate. The only way we can control our destiny is by consistently winning. The good news is that we have the coaching to do that...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I remember the article, it was essentially based on a couple of games. Recently articles have come out about how Rutgers promoted itself using those figures. It was brilliant self-promotion. Their attractiveness to the Big Ten is based on geography and the archaic DMA system.

Rutgers doesn't "move the needle" in NYC, but it didn't need to to be useful to the Big 10. Heck they barely move the needle in Newark. Let's see if they can sell out Prudential Arena for the game they have scheduled there this fall before we crown the kings of NYC.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I remember the article, it was essentially based on a couple of games. Recently articles have come out about how Rutgers promoted itself using those figures. It was brilliant self-promotion. Their attractiveness to the Big Ten is based on geography and the archaic DMA system.

Rutgers doesn't "move the needle" in NYC, but it didn't need to to be useful to the Big 10. Heck they barely move the needle in Newark. Let's see if they can sell out Prudential Arena for the game they have scheduled there this fall before we crown the kings of NYC.
No one in NYC has a TV let alone watches Rutgers sports

Reaction Score

I agreed that the numbers really represent more potential eyeballs on TV versus actual interest. Between that potential, where Rutgers is located, their AAU status, fertile recruiting grounds, and most importantly, the thousands of alumni from Michigan, Ohio St, etc. who live in metro NYC and do care about college football. Anyone remember how many Michigan fans showed-up at the Rent for that game? I do. ESPN and the execs in charge of this obviously do not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom