Non-Key Tweets | Page 92 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I have been an ND fan since I was seven years old in 1964. I am a third generation ND fan. All of my extended family have been ND fans since ND beat Army with the forward pass in 1913.

That said, I have zero interest in tuning in for classic game replays, coaches shows and the like. ND already does this digitally with Watch ND apps and its digital media at und.com.

I don't pay attention to coaches shows, practice reports, whatever. I don't watch Sportscenter or ESPN at all, except for live ND games. I don't watch pre-game, halftime or post-game shows. It is all word pablum. Just tune in for live action at kickoff.

I want to see live games, not old stuff, practice reports, coaches shows, etc... If an ACC channel starts up and puts on ND baseball games, I will tune in. I can watch ND beat Alabama in 1973 on YouTube, but don't.

If I were a Big Ten fan, I wouldn't watch the Big Ten Channel either.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I have been an ND fan since I was seven years old in 1964. I am a third generation ND fan. All of my extended family have been ND fans since ND beat Army with the forward pass in 1913.

That said, I have zero interest in tuning in for classic game replays, coaches shows and the like. ND already does this digitally with Watch ND apps and its digital media at und.com.

I don't pay attention to coaches shows, practice reports, whatever. I don't watch Sportscenter or ESPN at all, except for live ND games. I don't watch pre-game, halftime or post-game shows. It is all word pablum. Just tune in for live action at kickoff.

I want to see live games, not old stuff, practice reports, coaches shows, etc... If an ACC channel starts up and puts on ND baseball games, I will tune in. I can watch ND beat Alabama in 1973 on YouTube, but don't.

If I were a Big Ten fan, I wouldn't watch the Big Ten Channel either.

I, for the most part, agree. There was some historical stuff on the BTN that was pretty cool (Big10 Icons was a good series) and do like the summer practice reports. Historical games? Not so much. I think that's why there was the push to get hockey and lacrosse started, so they can have more live programming.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Once a game is over and I know the score and who won and lost, I have no interest in watching it. I've DVR'd many UCONN games, stumbled upon the score before watching, then immediately deleted from my DVR queue.

That's why year-round programming is vital to any conference network. An ACCN would lag behind others during football season but would be a hot commodity for basketball. That's probably the reason why there aren't plans yet for an ACCN as regular season basketball games don't drive the same type of ratings as regular season football. If bundled with the SECN, it makes some sense. SEC football and ACC basketball - the best of both worlds.

UCONN offers more value to the BTN than any proposed idea of an ACCN. B1G hoops could really use the immediate boost it would get from a program as elite as UCONN. Winter live programming content would improve. The B1G hoops fan might not be interested in watching Nebraska vs. Iowa but if UCONN played either, they might tune in. But to get there, UCONN football must first be at least competitive.

Reaction Score
Anyone know if UConn has any plans for d1 lacrosse?
This question comes up annually and UConn has never made even the slightest move toward D1 lacrosse. they would have to add some other womens sport, or drop a mens sport to do it. What would you add or drop? Baseball would be the most logical I suppose since they compete in the same season and baseball travel is pretty costly while lacrosse is mostly bus trips.

dayooper

Reaction Score
If there's any conference that can best utilize its so-called non-revenue sports then it is the ACC. Yes, there would be live football and basketball but it's those other sports that would hit the demos that the ACC would like in order to make money on such a project.

Yet, those same people won't be clamoring to get the ACCN because of those. Football is the main aspect and basketball is a clear second. The others are just filler. Live sports are good, but there aren't masses of people who demand lacrosse, baseball, and hockey. Will people watch? Yup. Will there be money made on them? Maybe in advertising, but not much. It's filler.

Reaction Score

It's really hard to offer both men's hockey and men's lacrosse if you offer football. There's no women's equivalent to footballs 85 scholarships. I remember watching the lacrosse final four a few years ago and they basically said that the number 1 thing holding back growth of D1 men's lacrosse was Title IX.

Reaction Score
It's really hard to offer both men's hockey and men's lacrosse if you offer football. There's no women's equivalent to footballs 85 scholarships. I remember watching the lacrosse final four a few years ago and they basically said that the number 1 thing holding back growth of D1 men's lacrosse was Title IX.

The #1 thing holding growth of lacrosse is money. Women play lacrosse too. You could add both men's and women's lacrosse, but where's the money?

dayooper

Reaction Score
The #1 thing holding growth of lacrosse is money. Women play lacrosse too. You could add both men's and women's lacrosse, but where's the money?

Don't forget women's hockey.

Reaction Score

Exactly, UConn offers womens lacrosse scholarships. I'm sure that UConn would love to add mens lacrosse, but they'd have to add an equal amount of womens scholarships to offset them. They just had to do that when they started giving scholarships to the mens hockey this past year. By offering scholarships to field hockey, womens hockey, and womens lacrosse and no mens equivalents, that nearly offset 85 football scholarships.

pj

Reaction Score
Easily solved. Start an 85-scholarship women's ping pong team. Create a league of one. Count scrimmages as league games.

If a scholarship is $30k, all you need is $3 mn per year. The cost of a basketball coach.

To defray the costs, let the BTN have women's ping pong games so they increase their live content. Recruit pretty women from Sweden who like to play sports in bikinis in order to make the content more valuable.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally believe that money is the exact reason we haven't attempted to add men's lacrosse (and the athletic department doesn't even like the subject presented to them).

At the moment the only men's sport (save football and equating baseball to softball) that we don't offer a women's equivalent is golf. I saw something a few years back by a group attempting to promote men's lacrosse at UConn which stated that if we a) increased scholarships where there is availability in current women's sports (evidently we aren't fully funded in some), b) added women's golf (this would also include cost of a coach or two) and c) recruited non scholarship women athletes (which would require a budgert increase) to bring total participation is track & field and softball to match men's track & field and baseball we then could add men's lacrosse and still be compliant.

As we currently are attempting to compete with schools who receive substantially more conference revenue than we do I imagine that the added costs of men's lacrosse will be beyond anything the school is willing to undertake until we land in a P-5 conference.

Reaction Score
UConn HAD D-1 lacrosse up until Title IX went into effect in the 70s. It was then d/ced along with wrestling to get the University into compliance. My feeling is that the only way that UConn will bring back varsity lacrosse is if it's admitted to the B1G which will be incentive to sponsor the sport.

Reaction Score

I know that ND does it (hockey, lacrosse, football, baseball , soccer, women's sports) but don't know how many others do so.

Reaction Score
Once a game is over and I know the score and who won and lost, I have no interest in watching it. I've DVR'd many UCONN games, stumbled upon the score before watching, then immediately deleted from my DVR queue.

That's why year-round programming is vital to any conference network. An ACCN would lag behind others during football season but would be a hot commodity for basketball. That's probably the reason why there aren't plans yet for an ACCN as regular season basketball games don't drive the same type of ratings as regular season football. If bundled with the SECN, it makes some sense. SEC football and ACC basketball - the best of both worlds.

UCONN offers more value to the BTN than any proposed idea of an ACCN. B1G hoops could really use the immediate boost it would get from a program as elite as UCONN. Winter live programming content would improve. The B1G hoops fan might not be interested in watching Nebraska vs. Iowa but if UCONN played either, they might tune in. But to get there, UCONN football must first be at least competitive.
Funny I sometimes esp in a very close game I get so nervous I really can't enjoy it live but if my team wins those kind of games i get more enjoyment the second and/or third viewing....maybe thats just me lol.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I know that ND does it (hockey, lacrosse, football, baseball , soccer, women's sports) but don't know how many others do so.

In the Big10, Michigan, Ohio St, and Penn State do. Besides Rutgers, UMD, and now Johns Hopkins, no one else has a men's lacrosse team (Northwestern has a women's but no men's). Michigan State had a varsity teams many years ago, but it's now a club sport and there is no word of them bouncing up to varsity.

The hockey schools in The Big10 are: Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. There is talk that Illinois, Nebraska, and Northwestern are interested.

Reaction Score
No Rutgers RE Mens Hockey??

I thought I heard that rumbling a while back.

Love me some BTN Frozen Fridays.

Reaction Score

please don't take
this personally but no one cares what ND does with ALL the MONEY they make and don't share.

Edited for damnautocorrect

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No Rutgers RE Mens Hockey??

I thought I heard that rumbling a while back.

Love me some BTN Frozen Fridays.

It would take a donation similar to the one given to Penn State for Rutgers to start a hockey program.

Reaction Score
In the Big10, Michigan, Ohio St, and Penn State do. Besides Rutgers, UMD, and now Johns Hopkins, no one else has a men's lacrosse team (Northwestern has a women's but no men's). Michigan State had a varsity teams many years ago, but it's now a club sport and there is no word of them bouncing up to varsity.

The hockey schools in The Big10 are: Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. There is talk that Illinois, Nebraska, and Northwestern are interested.

So, Michigan and Ohio State are the only two in the Big Ten that offer them all (which was what I was getting at with ND)?

Reaction Score
please don't take
this personally but no one cares what ND does with ALL the MONEY they make and don't share.

I don't take it personally at all. Don't take it personally that I don't care that no one else cares. :)

ND makes less TV money than Purdue, Illinois, Indiana and Minnesota, for example, so I think that "sharing" is irrelevant.

I was responding to primus74's post.

Last edited:

dayooper

Reaction Score
So, Michigan and Ohio State are the only two in the Big Ten that offer them all (which was what I was getting at with ND)?
Penn State as well.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
That is me to a T. I've had many a quiet ride home from work trying to avoid some jabroni on the radio ruining it for me. It takes away all the drama and my motivation to watch. Much like TerryD, I have absolutely NO interest in old games. I would watch player profiles of former players, but wouldn't watch the games. If for some reason I lose my memory and those old games become new again, I'll watch. Until then...not so much.

Reaction Score

But ND does not have a field hockey team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom