Non-Key Tweets | Page 231 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FB keeps all the BYU parochial scheduling issues out of the B12. It also allows the BYU network to continue in some form.

Not exactly buying it, but I would if it's being sold. Anything that gets schools moving again helps.

If a call from the B12 comes on June 30th, I would expect calls from B10, ACC, on the 29th. Unless their is a collision handshake that the P5 schools are staying put. FIFA has nothing on the FB power structure.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that BYU can't play on Sunday due to religious reasons. Seems like that would be a pretty big issue scheduling wise for all other sports
BYU is in the West Coast Conference for all other sports and they are accommodated. I could see a potential issue in basketball because the Big XII Championship game is played on Selection Sunday, but there is nothing preventing the tournament from starting one day earlier, IMO.

Reaction Score
BYU is in the West Coast Conference for all other sports and they are accommodated. I could see a potential issue in basketball because the Big XII Championship game is played on Selection Sunday, but there is nothing preventing the tournament from starting one day earlier, IMO.

If scheduling is the reason that prevents BYU from becoming a full member vs football only, I'm sure some sort of concession could be made. Doesn't really make sense to have 14 for football and 13 for everything else

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
While I don't really believe it, if you're adding four teams from the non-power 5, these are the most logical choices. Good sized markets (BYU from a national perspective), and overall strong brands. UCF is certainly the weakest "brand" but their location + size and recent football success certainly gives them the edge over USF or Memphis (or Boise State/MWC teams.)

Reaction Score
While I don't really believe it, if you're adding four teams from the non-power 5, these are the most logical choices. Good sized markets (BYU from a national perspective), and overall strong brands. UCF is certainly the weakest "brand" but their location + size and recent football success certainly gives them the edge over USF or Memphis (or Boise State/MWC teams.)

I'm skeptical to believe any of this, but these are the four teams that would provide the most value immediately to the Big XII. While UConn's football program is in worse shape than BYU, Cincy and UCF, UConn's other sports programs would help deliver the type of value that both the conference and the TV networks would desire. Timing makes sense after seeing the huge revenue differential between the Big XII and the SEC, it is time for the XII to make moves

Reaction Score
I would have thought that Boise would be in play. They just win too much to be stuck in that lousy conference. Colorado State is another one I don't get. It sure seems like they'd be a good fit, and they're closer than BYU. Memphis has pretty good sports, but provides nothing else of value. Mediocre market for an urban school, no brand recognition, etc. Everything that kept them out of the Big East for all those years.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I will certainly be happy with the Big 12 but all of the B1G talk had me really excited about that possibility.
Maybe we get and accept the invite and pull a TCU and go to the B1G instead.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if we got a Big XII invite, but if it happens I expect the ACC and the Big Ten to think long and hard about letting us join, which keeps any one league from being dominant in the Northeast.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
If only we knew the Dood's source...
Could also be....
Magic8Ball1.jpg

Reaction Score
I would have thought that Boise would be in play. They just win too much to be stuck in that lousy conference. Colorado State is another one I don't get. It sure seems like they'd be a good fit, and they're closer than BYU. Memphis has pretty good sports, but provides nothing else of value. Mediocre market for an urban school, no brand recognition, etc. Everything that kept them out of the Big East for all those years.

Boise has a lot of things working against them. Academics, proximity (Boise is really far from Big 12 country), Pacific time zone, Olympic sports. Really they hang their hat solely on football (though they've had some recent basketball success.) The eastern teams makes sense due to WVU.

pj

Reaction Score
If the B12 and ACC want to have a network, they need to form a strategic alliance: one network shared by both conferences. This would at least provide a similar quality of content and market reach to what the B1G and SEC offer; although the money would be split among 24 schools instead of 14, so smaller per-school payout.

Conceivably, it would make sense to team up with the Pac as well and have a 3-league network that covers every time zone.

Without such cooperation, I don't see any networks getting off the ground.

Given the multiple entities holding TV rights for these conferences, I think it will be quite a challenge to launch such a network before 2025. But, with a will there's a way.

pj

Reaction Score
If the B12 wants to survive past 2025, they need to do this before even more properties get taken by other leagues.

But I'm not convinced their major powers want the league to survive.

Reaction Score
As far as the other AAC presidents are aware.
....remember Pitt and their position in the Old Big East??? Turning down how much money and then going to the ACC... In today's world just because you are the captain, no longer means you have to go down with the ship and in yesterday's world...it was always supposed to be women and children first. So I think this still bodes better for UConn than having someone else in this position.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have to say, it would be pretty nice to play Kansas every year.

As my name here suggests, I'd be quite pleased with that. I'd be back at Allen Fieldhouse for sure.

While the Big XII is the worst of three possible options, it's much, much, much better than the American.

Reaction Score
If the B12 and ACC want to have a network, they need to form a strategic alliance: one network shared by both conferences. This would at least provide a similar quality of content and market reach to what the B1G and SEC offer; although the money would be split among 24 schools instead of 14, so smaller per-school payout.

Conceivably, it would make sense to team up with the Pac as well and have a 3-league network that covers every time zone.

Without such cooperation, I don't see any networks getting off the ground.

Given the multiple entities holding TV rights for these conferences, I think it will be quite a challenge to launch such a network before 2025. But, with a will there's a way.

Difficult to do this when ESPN owns the ACC & FOX owns the B12.

I would doubt there would be any collaboration between them

Reaction Score
My guess, if there's any truth to this (I'm highly doubtful), there'll be smoke coming from the B1G and/or ACC as this would close the window on all of their realistic non-p5 options. Both know they have UConn, UC, and UCF in their back pockets as acceptable options if they get raided, (ACC only really) need an extra partner to keep numbers even, or to scoop up an eastern TV market. The drop off below these three on the east coast is enormous. So unless Swofford thinks he can restock with other P5 teams if Jim comes calling for UVA, or UNC, or Va Tech, etc., he needs these three in his corner. Or, if the B1G can't get any of the current P5 teams to make a move for whatever reason, and he wants to continue his push east, he needs these three in his corner.

Reaction Score
The Dude - "The Big 12 is not expanding."

WV AD - "I'm in favor of expanding."

The Dude - "The Big 12 is expanding."

WV AD - "Has to be the right partner..."

The Dude - "I know who it is!! But I won't say."

WV AD - "We play a true round robin."

The Dude - "Chill out, everyone. I need to play this angle, too."

He is certifiable.

It's hard to "hate" an anonymous caricature on the Internet, but damn,it he pushes limits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom