Non-Key Tweets | Page 186 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Let's see. B1G teams come to CT to play hockey. Fly to Bradley. Drive to Hartford. Play. Drive to Bradley. Fly home. Or Drive to Storrs. Play Hockey. Drive to Bradley. Fly home. Never once seeing the football stadium. B1G wonders, UCONN does play football, right?
OK, so very sarcastic. Hockey only won't happen anyway.

Reaction Score
It's not a matter of if UConn would accept the B1G hockey-only invite (of course they would), it's that I can't see the B1G doing it - unless there's an established timeline where we move in all sports, then it becomes a possibilty. Flug's point about needing a #8 when ASU joins and there being no other current B1G schools to make the jump only goes to show how little he knows on this topic. They'd play with seven teams in a heartbeat if they had to, two home/two away round robin, 24-game conf. schedule, which is squarely in the range everyone wants. No need to add a geographical outlier 8th school as hockey-only unless it's part of a bigger move. I still think if they go for an 8th hockey-only it's the Sioux. Too close, too big of a fanbase, too many juicy TV games added.

Reaction Score
1. Flugaur writes way too concisely and clearly to be HFD. But any chance he's HFD's smarter, nerdy half brother or something?

2. The thought that adding UConn hocket to the BTN is going to make a material difference to expanding the reach and cost of the BTN in New York and New England is so ridicuous that it makes me long for posters putting Rice on a list of possible schools that would go ahead of us in expansion. Our mens hoops programs would sell subscriptions. So would our women's hoops program. But the thought that anyone in NYC, or even more than a smidgen in Connecticut, would be happy to pay $5 a month for another sports network for an occasional UConn hockey game is absurd.

3. Absent backing up the truck and throwing UConn an amount of money that, after the added travel costs, is material to our athletic department as a whole, the thought of UConn wanting to move out of Hockey East to play in the Big Ten is equally absurd.

So if our hoops programs don't get us into the Big Ten, hockey certainly doesn't, and there is no realistic way we are worth enough money to the Big Ten just as a hockey program to generate being paid the silly money it would take to change a bus travel schedule to an airplane one.

But other than that, it's a great idea.

The move definitely fails the logic test: if they need programming to boost BTN ratings, they'd probably consider us because we have the best basketball programs in the nation and not because we have an expansion franchise of a hockey program. This would be the equivalent of getting an ACC invite in the summer of 2003 on the basis of our strong finish in football in 2002.

That said, let's pretend for a moment that we have a tight ship (in terms of information and operational security) and Arizona State doesn't. Let's pretend that all of these leaks are coming from Arizona and none are coming from Connecticut.

Who's to say that they're not the Johns Hopkins (lacrosse) to our Maryland (in all sports)?

Reaction Score
The move definitely fails the logic test: if they need programming to boost BTN ratings, they'd probably consider us because we have the best basketball programs in the nation and not because we have an expansion franchise of a hockey program. This would be the equivalent of getting an ACC invite in the summer of 2003 on the basis of our strong finish in football in 2002.

That said, let's pretend for a moment that we have a tight ship (in terms of information and operational security) and Arizona State doesn't. Let's pretend that all of these leaks are coming from Arizona and none are coming from Connecticut.

Who's to say that they're not the Johns Hopkins (lacrosse) to our Maryland (in all sports)?

Would it be rational to believe that one day we will be invited to join the Big Ten? Sure. I'm not holding my breath in the near future, but it would be rational. Would it be rational to believe that finding a hockey partner for Arizona State University is going to be what causes it to happen? LMFAO.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 4h4 hours ago
@NebGradDubDub NEB/NW hockey will come later...in 2017 it will be Arizona St & ?.
I think it will be east coast... Could be Uconn

Expansion Crush ‏@Expansion_Crush · 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire @NebGradDubDub
Eventually the Big Ten might have to add a women's hockey league? Scholarships & COA

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 3h3 hours ago
@Expansion_Crush @NebGradDubDub There already is some Big Ten Womrn hockey teams...just not 6 to make a league. And COA is already in place

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2h2 hours ago
@Expansion_Crush @NebGradDubDub Main point is there won't be 7 teams...it will need to be 8. All hockey conf have even # of teams.

Expansion Crush ‏@Expansion_Crush · 2h2 hours ago
@flugempire @NebGradDubDub
Someone should reach out to the ASU AD and ask if they plan on adding women's hockey down the road

@Expansion_Crush @NebGradDubDub Arizons St and Big Ten are in serious talks. Arizona St will be ready in 2017. Delany needs #8.

@Expansion_Crush @NebGradDubDub Denver is a good choice...but I think Delany offers someone out East.

Frank the Tank @frankthetank111 · 2h 2 hours ago
Following up on Arizona St hockey possibly joining Big Ten, note that there are more B1G alums in the Phoenix market than Pac-12 alums.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire
· 2h 2 hours ago
@frankthetank111 Wow.
Question: Arizona St would not be a permanant Big Ten hockey member...do would Delany go after Denver as a bridge? Or

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@frankthetank111 ..in your opinion does BTN/Delany/Fox sports ( which carry B1G hockey) go after Eastern team...like BU or UCONN?

Reaction Score
Kevin McGuire ‏@KevinOnCFB · 8h8 hours ago
Helmet sticker to @frankthetank111 for that hockey Big Ten-Arizona State rumor link.

Frank the Tank‏@frankthetank111 @KevinOnCFB What's interesting is the Big Ten Associate Commissioner overseeing hockey is directly quoted on-the-record about Arizona State.

Kevin McGuire ‏@KevinOnCFB · 8h8 hours ago
@frankthetank111 What do you think about a Big Ten-Notre Dame hockey membership? @JohnTCpsu just mentioned to me he’d love to see it

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 · 8h8 hours ago
@KevinOnCFB @JohnTCpsu Makes sense on paper for ND hockey in B1G, but might be too many hard heads in that overall relationship.

@KevinOnCFB @JohnTCpsu If ND were to ever join a league for football (unlikely), hockey is a carrot that B1G can offer over ACC (1/2)

@KevinOnCFB @JohnTCpsu So, hockey is a leverage point between the B1G and ND for all-sports membership, which isn't in play for ASU.

John TC ‏@JohnTCpsu · 8h8 hours ago
@frankthetank111 @KevinOnCFB all makes sense. who else would be in play for B1G to get to 8? someone from Boston market?

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 · 7h7 hours ago
@JohnTCpsu @KevinOnCFB BU has always been an interesting prospect in the Boston market, but Hockey East is definitely a tough nut to crack.

Frank the Tank‏@frankthetank111 @grantwhunter @JGonStrib Yes, Denver is a good school in a great market. If the B1G added ASU hockey, they'd also be a geographic bridge.

Reaction Score
Good lord, these people are idiots. They have no idea what they're talking about with respect to hockey.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Many are forgetting rule #1 for this message board and conference realignment talk... if you aren't even being talked about... your not getting an invite.

So what if this is about hockey. So what if it might only be a one sport invite... you get it... you go and don't look back. This connection will only enhance our hopes of getting a spot down the road. It buys us time as we increase our endowment, clean up our football mess, continue to be a destination for STEM students and research, and start cleaning up in the AAC, of which you may notice we have been not doing so well this year.

If this is just fodor for the crazies, so be it. Every time we are mentioned now it is about our growing reputation as a elite instructional institution. That type of talk is a hell lot better then what is happening up to our old mates up northwest of CT.

Reaction Score
i heard UConn will get an ND/ACC type deal w/ B1G initially (as early as 2016 season). Will join B1G for all sports other than FB. FB will go Indep but UConn FB to play minimum 6 B1G teams per season (3 home/3away) and has deal worked out to play BYU and Army regularly in FB. Additionally will have access to B1G bowls if end up w/ 2 more total wins than another B1G bowl eligible team. Additionally UConn guaranteed full membership in football as #15 team when B1G does expand to 16.

Reaction Score
Ok, but you have to pinkie-swear that you won't join another conference.

-B1G

Reaction Score
If we are asked to join join B10 hockey we say yes. We will likely make more money on BTN hockey then we we will in the aac for all sports. The naysayers are crazy, if offered we say yes.

Reaction Score
Would it be rational to believe that one day we will be invited to join the Big Ten? Sure. I'm not holding my breath in the near future, but it would be rational. Would it be rational to believe that finding a hockey partner for Arizona State University is going to be what causes it to happen? LMFAO.

All journeys start with one step.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is no chance that UConn would join the Big Ten as a hockey-only.

We're in a better league now with regional rivals.

We can't afford to put another program on a plane for no good reason. (Those revenue numbers for BTN hockey look like make-believe to me.)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
i heard UConn will get an ND/ACC type deal w/ B1G initially (as early as 2016 season). Will join B1G for all sports other than FB. FB will go Indep but UConn FB to play minimum 6 B1G teams per season (3 home/3away) and has deal worked out to play BYU and Army regularly in FB. Additionally will have access to B1G bowls if end up w/ 2 more total wins than another B1G bowl eligible team. Additionally UConn guaranteed full membership in football as #15 team when B1G does expand to 16.

I know you're joking, but I could live with this.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV
The plan is this. Dance with the devil (ESPN) and then add UVA & GT. Verified confidential source within B1G. Will the plan work? Who knows?

ME: Riiiiiiiiiigggghhht

Aaron ‏@posas13 21h21 hours ago
Big Ten facing crucial decisions about its TV future http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-sherman-media-big-ten-spt-0312-20150311-column.html… @OmegaSupreme914 @Iamgrizzly1974 @Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 20h20 hours ago
@posas13 @OmegaSupreme914 @Iamgrizzly1974 @Expansion_Crush It's simple... If B1G goes ESPN no ACCN. If B1G goes Fox then ACCN is yes.

CA Curtis ‏@Iamgrizzly1974 19h19 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @posas13 @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush This will KILL ACC (at least 2 to 4 schools already pissed & could leave) The B1G

delaware seminole ‏@delawarenole 19h19 hours ago
@Iamgrizzly1974 @theDudeofWV @posas13 @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush FSU brings too much from a TV perspective and ESPN wants that

CA Curtis ‏@Iamgrizzly1974 19h19 hours ago
@delawarenole @theDudeofWV @posas13 @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush 4 ACC schools in his opinion Delany wants from the ACC.

delaware seminole ‏@delawarenole 18h18 hours ago
@Iamgrizzly1974 @theDudeofWV @posas13 @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush they are pretty obvious - UNC, UVA are perfect fits.

CA Curtis ‏@Iamgrizzly1974 18h18 hours ago
@delawarenole @theDudeofWV @posas13 @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush yes then add GT & FSU.

Aaron ‏@posas13 8h8 hours ago
@Iamgrizzly1974 @delawarenole @theDudeofWV @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush How about UF? If the $$ is that much greater?

Expansion Crush ‏@Expansion_Crush 6h6 hours ago
@posas13 @Iamgrizzly1974 @delawarenole @theDudeofWV @OmegaSupreme914 actually not a rumor but an idea http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/346107-big-ten-expansion-if-texas-why-not-florida…

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 6h6 hours ago
@Expansion_Crush FSU was at the center of the B1G's fight over AAU status. OSU fought hard to get FSU into the B1G.

Omega Supreme ‏@OmegaSupreme914 5h5 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush I want to throw every time I think about how we passed on FSU

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 5h5 hours ago
@OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush Funny how each conf has differing standards.

@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush it is. B1G was shortsighted in the FSU situation

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV
@OmegaSupreme914 each conf has a personality. Only OSU really cares about football.

@theDudeofWV This is true OSU is SEC North

ME: The peanut gallery is back in session. :p

Reaction Score
There is no chance that UConn would join the Big Ten as a hockey-only.

We're in a better league now with regional rivals.

We can't afford to put another program on a plane for no good reason. (Those revenue numbers for BTN hockey look like make-believe to me.)

I hope you are wrong. If we get any invite from the B10 we have to accept. No is not an option.

Reaction Score
I almost choked on the morning java as I read this hilarious post. Still, can you pass me some of that additive that you put in your creamer?

pj

Reaction Score
UConn is worth a lot more in markets and athletic revenue to the B1G than Georgia Tech, though Georgia Tech is AAU / better research and a bridge to Florida State. They would go that way only if their goal is to be a huge athletic conglomerate. I don't think that's their goal.

Moreover, it's hard to see how they can do a deal with ESPN and then turn around and destroy ESPN's premier property. Surely ESPN will build safeguards into any contract with the B1G. This dance with ESPN is probably delaying B1G expansion. The B1G won't want to lose ESPN's bid so the negotiations are delicate.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Never thought of the whole B1G + ESPN effect on the ACCN. Maybe Delany will take a few peanuts less to negotiate with ESPN in hopes that it will tick off a few ACC schools and lure them out. It's fun to speculate.

Reaction Score
yah! I have heard this GT and FSU stuff from the kooks in the past. And about VT and Virginia. And about Texas and Kansas...etc

The GT board thinks the kooks are just nuts.....but then again, nutty things happen in CR.

If the B1G could pull in Notre Dame, UConn, BC...I would not be surprised....deep south? Yeah, that would be surprising.

Reaction Score
UConn is worth a lot more in markets and athletic revenue to the B1G than Georgia Tech, though Georgia Tech is AAU / better research and a bridge to Florida State. They would go that way only if their goal is to be a huge athletic conglomerate. I don't think that's their goal.

Moreover, it's hard to see how they can do a deal with ESPN and then turn around and destroy ESPN's premier property. Surely ESPN will build safeguards into any contract with the B1G. This dance with ESPN is probably delaying B1G expansion. The B1G won't want to lose ESPN's bid so the negotiations are delicate.

If the B1G does their deal with ESPN then they immediately become the premiere property. The B1G deal is going to almost double the ACC deal regardless of who it gets done with. If the deal gets done with ESPN exclusively (which I doubt) then ESPN doesn't care if ACC schools move to the B1G because they own their rights either way. ESPN may actually be able to decrease their ACC spend if teams leave

The only questions are: does the package get split amongst 2 or more networks because it becomes too expensive for 1 company to bid on & how much programming does Delany look to keep for the BTN?

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 41m41 minutes ago
I dropped a expansion tidbit late last night. Hee hee hee...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 29m 29 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV This scenario is at the top of Delanys wish list...but the problem is there has been little to no interest from GT and UVA

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 28m 28 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV Delany and BTN would montize the Jeebus out of Atlanta and the state of Virginia. People would be shocked to find out what...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 27m 27 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV ...a big hub of Big Ten Alumni Atlanta has become. Atlanta has a huge Bug Ten Chapter down in the middle of the City.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 26m 26 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV But my contacts...as the dude knows...believe only 1 ACC has given Delany the nod that they are truly interested in Big Ten-VT

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 24m 24 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV VT acting swiftly in answering the Big Ten supeona on the UMD/ACC case is just one piece of public evidence. UMD is bridge toVT

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 23m 23 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV So I agree with Chris on the UVA/GT being on top of Delany's plan...but GT wanting to stay with Duke/NC puts dent into plan

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 22m 22 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV Delany is targeting the state of Virginia. UVA or VT or both. Whatever it takes. Whatever road must be taken..it's state of VA

pj

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 22m 22 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV Delany is targeting the state of Virginia. UVA or VT or both. Whatever it takes. Whatever road must be taken..it's state of VA

VA as the must-have flavor of the day. In this fashion-game Virginia (population 8.3 million) is supposedly so important you'd take two schools there, even though you have no coverage at all in New England or New York states (collectively 35 million people). It's obviously better to get one addition in each region than to concentrate two additions in Virginia.

It doesn't seem that VT and UVa would demand to stay together since the ACC and SEC are attractive options for the other - no way either of those schools is left behind. So I have to believe this would be UConn-VT or UConn-UVa ahead of VT-UVa.

Also a Virginia school plus Ga Tech takes them way out of region. I doubt that will be appealing.

Reaction Score
I realize that these tweets from The Dood and Flug essentially equate to fan fiction, but at the very least they are interesting to discuss.

Could the B1G actually be able to leverage ESPN into denying the ACC a conference network? -Unlikely IMO.

Could the difference in revenue between The B1G and ACC be so wide following The B1G's new deal that ACC Stalwarts like UNC or VA could no longer ignore it?- Possibly. How could you ignore making 1-2 hundred million less over a decade?

If Espin controlled the media rights of The B1G, ACC, and SEC, could they essentially direct membership decsions within these conferences in order to obtain maximum revenues for themselves? For example say GT would generate more money as a member of the B1G, could they facilitate that switch? It would seem unlikely, but I imagine it is possible if they are willing to compensate the remaining teams that are left behind.

Would Espin stand aside and allow two other properties destroy a third? Again very hard to imagine, unless Espin's end game is to facilitate 4 super conferences.

Could a substantially larger B1G and SEC with additional marquee properties be more profitable to them than The B1G, SEC, and ACC as they are currently configured? Possibly, but if the left behind schools are relegated to what equates to G5 Status for football, they would likely need to be compensated at P5 Rates in order to avoid major litigation.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom