Non-Key Tweets | Page 114 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
why?
For a number of reasons, it's really difficult to run.

You can't just rotate pods: 1 plays 2, who does 3 play, since 2 is playing 1? So there are complications there.

Who gets to play in the conference championship game? That also seems highly problematic.

Conferences expanding to 20 with 4 pods of 5 makes more sense. If instead of expanding the football tournament from 4 to 8, we saw conferences consolidate to 4 and have semifinal games in addition to championship games. It won't happen, but it would make more sense.

Reaction Score
We can put that on our tombstones.

I don't know how he defines the 'highest level' in football and basketball, but given the state of the American, his definition will not be adopted by the masses.
You can question football, but we just won the goshdarn national title in basketball. Have two in the last four years. Would anyone really think we don't play on highest level in basketball? Football on the other hand, we may be the worst team in a very bad league.

Reaction Score
You can question football, but we just won the goshdarn national title in basketball. Have two in the last four years. Would anyone really think we don't play on highest level in basketball? Football on the other hand, we may be the worst team in a very bad league.

Why question football? Is the AAC ideal? Probably not. However last I checked it was an FBS Conference. I think it is cool that UCONN competes at a high level in those three sports. Lots of symmetry with the B1G in this regard.

Reaction Score
I am thinking that the B12 could be a precedent setting conference for CCGs going forward. They can have a CCG with 10 and so others can argue that they can have a CCG with odd number teams (would apply to B1G and ACC if they added just UCONN). But who knows? My thinking would be a direct blow to the First Rule of CR: Everything CR MUST kick UCONN in the sack.
Everyone examines CR as if there are logical, rational guidelines while they forget the 2nd Rule of CR: There a no logical, rational guidelines.

Reaction Score
Why question football? Is the AAC ideal? Probably not. However last I checked it was an FBS Conference. I think it is cool that UCONN competes at a high level in those three sports. Lots of symmetry with the B1G in this regard.

I sometimes feel we are too full of ourselves. This trifecta is something to be proud of (despite our football).

Reaction Score

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Everyone examines CR as if there are logical, rational guidelines while they forget the 2nd Rule of CR: There a no logical, rational guidelines.

There is one logical, rational guideline: does it make money for the conference?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No Big 12 expansion is a good thing. We are not a good fit, Cinci and Memphis are, and FLA is always desirable.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No Big 12 expansion is a good thing. We are not a good fit, Cinci and Memphis are, and FLA is always desirable.

Agreed. Big 12 expansion is only a good idea if you like the idea of swapping Cincinnati/UCF for (insert two schools from C-USA/MAC).

Reaction Score
I hope we can put an end to the Tulane and Tulsa bashing. Has anyone been aware of a rock bottom sighting lately?

Reaction Score
Over/under on number of high school teams that can beat UCONN? Seriously. This team is flat out BAD. Whitmer just forced himself to fumble. Sweet Home AAC.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I refuse to believe this is either "competing" or the "highest level".

Reaction Score
Over/under on number of high school teams that can beat UCONN? Seriously. This team is flat out BAD. Whitmer just forced himself to fumble. Sweet Home AAC.

Don Bosco and/or Paramus Catholic here in Jersey would give UConn fits. UConn's size (22 year old men versus 16 year old boys) would limit their offense due to issues on the line; but that just means the final score would be like 7 to 3.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Uconn has very few Seniors. The player who matter are mostly 18-19 year olds.

Reaction Score
Not really. They're equals and will stay that way for a long while.

As a BIG fan, but not so much BIG hockey - I'd actually give a comfortable endorsement to Hockey East having top conference honors, esp with depth and traditional rivalries - and it will be this way for many years to come. As for the WCHA, former home of Minnesota and Wisconsin, never bought that Hockey East was on par, top to bottom with the old WCHA - not even close. People who think such have not done their research of college hockey stats. The WCHA was a monster for decades & put some of the best hockey players into the current NHL - long list here, no need.

The WCHA, a shell of its former self & merely written history at this point, holds the distinction of being the most dominant conference of all college sports. When Denver, UND, Colorado College, MN, MN-Duluth and Wisconsin were members - pretty deep and often dominant - rarely missed a Frozen Four and once fielded the entire thing back in the early 2000s. Of this bunch, only Duluth has less than 1 NC. Denver, UND, Mn & Wisky all have 5 or more NCs. Heck even Michigan and Michigan State were former WCHA members - Michigan winning a few of their titles as a WCHA member.

As a Minny fan, not happy with BIG hockey - way, way, way too much tradition destroyed for the BTN. Our biggest rival is UND, then it's a tossup between Wisconsin and Mn-Duluth. We only keep Wisconsin for the current BIG.

BIG hockey has upside, but it will never have the compact road rivalries of the WCHA. It will also be up to BTN to cover games like Minnesota vs UND - that is essential non-conference match ups. A lot will depend on the rise of PSU. OSU has been playing D1 hockey for a long time, so often the 2nd or 3rd best program in Ohio - behind Miami and Bowling Green. The gap between OSU and Minnesota hockey is bigger than comparing our football programs.

I suspect the new NCHC will be more on par with Hockey East. Even though it is spread out, they ensured in-state rivalries in 2 of 6 states, (Colorado and Minnesota) and UND is right on the border of Minnesota. They also ensured each of the 6 states is paired with a school in a neighbor state - 3 pairs of two.

Reaction Score
As a BIG fan, but not so much BIG hockey - I'd actually give a comfortable endorsement to Hockey East having top conference honors, esp with depth and traditional rivalries - and it will be this way for many years to come. As for the WCHA, former home of Minnesota and Wisconsin, never bought that Hockey East was on par, top to bottom with the old WCHA - not even close. People who think such have not done their research of college hockey stats. The WCHA was a monster for decades & put some of the best hockey players into the current NHL - long list here, no need.

The WCHA, a shell of its former self & merely written history at this point, holds the distinction of being the most dominant conference of all college sports. When Denver, UND, Colorado College, MN, MN-Duluth and Wisconsin were members - pretty deep and often dominant - rarely missed a Frozen Four and once fielded the entire thing back in the early 2000s. Of this bunch, only Duluth has less than 1 NC. Denver, UND, Mn & Wisky all have 5 or more NCs. Heck even Michigan and Michigan State were former WCHA members - Michigan winning a few of their titles as a WCHA member.

As a Minny fan, not happy with BIG hockey - way, way, way too much tradition destroyed for the BTN. Our biggest rival is UND, then it's a tossup between Wisconsin and Mn-Duluth. We only keep Wisconsin for the current BIG.

BIG hockey has upside, but it will never have the compact road rivalries of the WCHA. It will also be up to BTN to cover games like Minnesota vs UND - that is essential non-conference match ups. A lot will depend on the rise of PSU. OSU has been playing D1 hockey for a long time, so often the 2nd or 3rd best program in Ohio - behind Miami and Bowling Green. The gap between OSU and Minnesota hockey is bigger than comparing our football programs.

I suspect the new NCHC will be more on par with Hockey East. Even though it is spread out, they ensured in-state rivalries in 2 of 6 states, (Colorado and Minnesota) and UND is right on the border of Minnesota. They also ensured each of the 6 states is paired with a school in a neighbor state - 3 pairs of two.

And that basically sums up the entire problem with conference realignment across all conferences and sports - traditional, fan built rivalries with nearby schools replaced by greed and the chase of the almighty dollar.

Reaction Score

in CR fashion, (and a play from the NHL) Hockey East should go out and expand with Miami, UNC, and maybe Virginia just to lock up the key southern markets. That leaves Texas, Bama, and Florida for Big Hockey.

Reaction Score
upload_2014-10-15_13-49-36.png
Fox wants that East Coast.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 4m 4 minutes ago
@ctkevb The new Big 10 Tier-1 TV contract will impact realignment/expansion either in the short term (16-18) or mid term (19-20)........

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 3m 3 minutes ago
@ctkevb What we are learning.. just not about the coming staggering $$$ in the new contract..but the motivations of FOX=East C. Eye balls

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 2m 2 minutes ago
@ctkevb FOX wants East Coast Football entry....and its vehicle is Big 10 Football. FOX is going to overpay market...ESPN will also for half

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · now 6 seconds ago
@ctkevb Just as ESPN and TNT paid triple over current contract to NBA. ESPN & FOX will pay Big 10 more than double current...FOX motivations

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 7m 7 minutes ago
@ctkevb FOX motivations is the real story here. More later

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 40m 40 minutes ago
@OCCReds I can only relay to you the perceptions of the Big Ten Offices. Let me put it to you this way....21st Century Fox (BTN) and..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 39m 39 minutes ago
@OCCReds ..Delany (Big 10/BTN) wanted in on East Coast. Rutgers and Maryland easily passed the eye ball test with Big 10 Presidents.....

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 37m 37 minutes ago
@OCCReds ...Maryland being 36-38th in Research expenditures...and Rutgers being 45th..2012. How motivated is FOX in gaining entrance.....

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 36m 36 minutes ago
...into east coast prime time college football? There is much to this story....FOX may open doors to available schools that don't meet...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 34m 34 minutes ago
....current B1G metrics. Will B1G presidents succumb? FOX is going to over pay....but how much?....does the Big 10 expanding conf games..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 33m 33 minutes ago
...from current 8....to eventually 9....to 10 games in near future....is that enough of enlarging the pie? Is 70 B1G conf games enough..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 31m 31 minutes ago
......(7X10) in 2018...19...20 for BTN/ESPN/FOX....does the split work out enough for FOX's motivations into getting East Coast eyeballs?

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 30m 30 minutes ago
FOX wants desperately to get a hold nationally in College Football...wants FSI featuring 6:00 game with B1G east coast team..ect...ect...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 29m 29 minutes ago
What is FOX willing to do.....how far are they willing to go? Perception of Big Ten officials say BIG and FAR. Need to watch story.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
FOX may open doors to available schools that don't meet current B1G metrics. Will B1G presidents succumb? FOX is going to over pay....but how much?....does the Big 10 expanding conf games..

Matt Wyers ‏@mkw_14 · 38m38 minutes ago
@flugempire What sort of programs would fall under that umbrella? Are you talking about ACC schools?

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire @mkw_14
ACC schools are not available in short term. I'm going to keep it short. FOX wants cover east c. fb.Doors closed..may becomed open

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom