2024 Recruiting: - Nolan Traore | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Nolan Traore

Reaction Score
They aint mysterious anymore. When are we going to get an American born MVP? Maybe SGA this year, but league is owned by euros/internationals.

Jokic,
Doncic
Giannis
Embiid (american now, but African)
Wemby

Best under 30 American players are SGA, Tatum, Anthony Edwards.
European players learn"team" basketball early on while they are developing individual skills while American kids develop bad habits in AAU. Thank God for DH!

Reaction Score
We just won the championship with an all-American born starting 5 - reports of American ball's death are greatly exaggerated.
Well 4 0f the top .5 players in the nba are not us born players

The next generational player is from france

The top 2 picks in the 2024 draft are from France
Probably 40 percent of the nba first round are
Internationally born players

France has a group of players under 21 which are
Most likely better than those in the us

Greater Toronto has as many players in the NBA than any metropolitan area in the US of similar size

The NBA Africa academy is on the verge producing a generation, a very good players

So it’s safe to say that basketball is a world game and that the USA I will never dominate like it had previously

I think it’s an open question as to whether the AAU system has hurt the development of US basketba

Imho the European system, which focuses on skills and development versus playing 100 games a year is a superior system

I don’t think I see anything changing anytime soon
The nba it’s perfectly fine with international players being the stars as it fits with their long range plans to have teams from Europe as part of the league

Reaction Score
Well 4 0f the top .5 players in the nba are not us born players

The next generational player is from france

The top 2 picks in the 2024 draft are from France
Probably 40 percent of the nba first round are
Internationally born players

France has a group of players under 21 which are
Most likely better than those in the us

Greater Toronto has as many players in the NBA than any metropolitan area in the US of similar size

The NBA Africa academy is on the verge producing a generation, a very good players

So it’s safe to say that basketball is a world game and that the USA I will never dominate like it had previously

I think it’s an open question as to whether the AAU system has hurt the development of US basketba

Imho the European system, which focuses on skills and development versus playing 100 games a year is a superior system

I don’t think I see anything changing anytime soon
The nba it’s perfectly fine with international players being the stars as it fits with their long range plans to have teams from Europe as part of the league

It's not an open question whether AAU basketball is bad for players. There's research across all sports and pros in the business are unequivocal about it.

One of the main reasons I quit AAU was we were practicing 2x a week, half the kids couldn't come, and then we would play 5 games in a weekend. It was boring, and terrible for kids. My high school teams showed 100x more skill improvement practicing 4-5x a week and playing games 1-2x a week, because we could actually develop IQ, learn plays, and develop chemistry.

4:1 practices to games (or something around there) is the ideal for skill building across team sports.

A basketball player for a big powerhouse program like Abraham at Paul VI playing EYBL is playing 80+ games a year and hitting more like 2:1, and that's with a bunch of individual skill training rather than learning team concepts for many of those days.

Reaction Score
European players learn"team" basketball early on while they are developing individual skills while American kids develop bad habits in AAU. Thank God for DH!
SGA is Canadian and Jokic is winning the MVP. Might be another decade before we get another American born MVP.
Maybe more than a decade!!
It's not an open question whether AAU basketball is bad for players. There's research across all sports and pros in the business are unequivocal about it.

One of the main reasons I quit AAU was we were practicing 2x a week, half the kids couldn't come, and then we would play 5 games in a weekend. It was boring, and terrible for kids. My high school teams showed 100x more skill improvement practicing 4-5x a week and playing games 1-2x a week, because we could actually develop IQ, learn plays, and develop chemistry.

4:1 practices to games (or something around there) is the ideal for skill building across team sports.

A basketball player for a big powerhouse program like Abraham at Paul VI playing EYBL is playing 80+ games a year and hitting more like 2:1, and that's with a bunch of individual skill training rather than learning team concepts for many of those days.
lol
I was being kind saying it was an open question
I didn’t have the facts to back it up like u did but it’s more than obvious that the international system of developing players is far superior the current aau
System
I would say we are very much in agreement lol

Reaction Score
There is so much talent in and around Toronto but a lot of them go to American high schools, play aau ball, etc. it’s not really anything different than the US

Reaction Score
There's a lot of money in aau ball, just not for players. So what kind of failed system does that remind us of?
As for Nolan, I like him as a big player maker. But I also like the two freshman Europeans UCLA is puking out, Vide and Fibleuil. Cronin flopped hard with that group. There's some real talent there.

Reaction Score
If he's coming to play in the US, every team in America is going to give him a call. There's no real evidence we're a player here.
If I believe I’m the guy, why would I want to join a team that emphasizes:

1. Constant running aka “motion”;
2. Constant off ball screening;
3. Balanced scoring;
4. Risk that maybe “it’s not your night”;
5, Being relegated to the D and 5th option (see Castle).

When another program says:

1. ISO ball every night;
2. The offense runs through you, ball gets to your hands for 25–30 quality touches a night.

You love the results of the program, but the system at UConn favors a communal, 3*+ talent approach. Don’t assume all players are going to buy into that.

Reaction Score

3. Balanced scoring;

1. ISO ball every night;
2. The offense runs through you, ball gets to your hands for 25–30 quality touches a night.

You love the results of the program, but the system at UConn favors a communal, 3*+ talent approach. Don’t assume all players are going to buy into that.
Huh? We have a 5* one and done freshman who may go #1. A 4* two and done who may go top 5. And two 4* two and done lottery picks(Bouknight & Hawkins).

We do not have a 3* talent approach. Were putting high end high school players in the lottery.

Reaction Score

3. Balanced scoring;

1. ISO ball every night;

This system allows our players to show their whole game, a well rounded game. Passing, defending, rebounding, ball handling, screening, cutting, shooting. It arguably makes a player as pro ready as any program in the country. There’s more to the game than just scoring and chucking up 3s. Intelligent Teams with smart scouts know that.

Reaction Score
Huh? We have a 5* one and done freshman who may go #1. A 4* two and done who may go top 5. And two 4* two and done lottery picks(Bouknight & Hawkins).

We do not have a 3* talent approach. Were putting high end high school players in the lottery.
That’s the outcome.

What did they have to do to get there? Those kids worked their ass off. This offense is part 1. grinder hence the 3*+ can be successful with it and 2. it’s so layered, you have to have the aptitude to be a part of it. There are talented 4* eating up bench time that were barely getting garbage minutes.

Your take is the easy part. What it takes to get draft consideration isn’t your high school potential ranking and then entering the draft.

Reaction Score

He's clearly a troll. Don't bite, homie.

Reaction Score

there’s a great Geno interview about this. He coached his sons AAU team and the stars left because they didn’t want to practice and other teams told them they could just come to games, and more of those games.

Reaction Score

He did say 3*+ not 3* only

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score

3. Balanced scoring;

1. ISO ball every night;

Best of luck with your fresh start coaching Arkansas!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

3. Balanced scoring;

1. ISO ball every night;

If a potential top 5 one-and-done draft pick is your "see example" you're not making the point you think you are...

Reaction Score

This is an interesting post. My background in bb is extensive. I'm stubborn but having watched some very good AAU teams play over the years, my experience has told me that many AAU coaches absolutely love getting kids to sign up who have actually been taught how to play in their local school programs under the leadership of coaches who have been trained in the fundamentals of the game and in what it takes to grow a winning program. Obviously I see the value in kids playing more but it comes with a cost not only in big dollars. When our kids went out to play on any travel or AAU team, we made it very clear what our expectations were for them. We took the responsibility for teaching them how to play very seriously. There will be always something special about playing for the school whose district you grew up in.

Reaction Score
This is an interesting post. My background in bb is extensive. I'm stubborn but having watched some very good AAU teams play over the years, my experience has told me that many AAU coaches absolutely love getting kids to sign up who have actually been taught how to play in their local school programs under the leadership of coaches who have been trained in the fundamentals of the game and in what it takes to grow a winning program. Obviously I see the value in kids playing more but it comes with a cost not only in big dollars. When our kids went out to play on any travel or AAU team, we made it very clear what our expectations were for them. We took the responsibility for teaching them how to play very seriously. There will be always something special about playing for the school whose district you grew up in.

AAU teams love kids who know how to play... most just don't want to take the tine to teach you to play. Show up an elite player, play 40+ games for us in 4 months and go home.

Reaction Score
So do I, and I take zero offense to those who are.

That said, I’ve heard from folks I trust that we’re in legit pursuit of this kid. And given our roster needs and Borges’ reporting last week it all adds up. So, to me, the kid seems worth a thread.

To be clear: I have zero contact with the staff, and I have no idea if we lead, of if this kid is first on our board, or anything like that.
So, to summarize, he's ready to sign with us?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
This system allows our players to show their whole game, a well rounded game. Passing, defending, rebounding, ball handling, screening, cutting, shooting. It arguably makes a player as pro ready as any program in the country. There’s more to the game than just scoring and chucking up 3s. Intelligent Teams with smart scouts know that.
And conversely, what if Castle had spent his freshman year at Kentucky or Duke because they promised him 15-20 shots a game? Would probably have shot similar or lower percentage, had a lower assist/turnover ratio, and not had a chance to shut down the top opposing offensive players on the road to a national championship.

Not sure he'd be lottery in that alternate universe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom