No Marching Band | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Marching Band

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It is total nonsense that you can’t have a pep band because of this. There are plenty of basketball only schools with pep bands. So we are going to make our triumphant returns to MSG for the BET and not have the band there? The women are playing for the National Title and no UConn Husky after they win? Come on. This is as small time and bush league as it comes. And what is the band, it’s directors, it’s members, family, and supporters doing to raise money if cost is the issue?

yes, and most of them are terrible, as i can attest from attending many BET's. I said the product would suffer, and i stand by that. I'd rather have no pep band than a crummy one.

Reaction Score
Sorry this is bull hockey and they are taking away from the college experience from a number of students and the fans

No, "they" are not taking away from the college experience. A new virus that we don't have a vaccine or cure for is taking away from the college experience -- along with all sorts of other experiences -- and human beings are trying to deal with it the best they can. It really surprises you that there are individuals who in good faith will sleep better if they go too far in limiting experiences versus losing lives that they are in charge of?

This really isn't so hard folks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, "they" are not taking away from the college experience. A new virus that we don't have a vaccine or cure for is taking away from the college experience -- along with all sorts of other experiences -- and human beings are trying to deal with it the best they can. It really surprises you that there are individuals who in good faith will sleep better if they go to far in limiting experiences versus losing lives that they are in charge of?

Actually I agree it isn’t so hard. Every model about the virus has been wrong. Remember the scientific projections of over 2 million dead? Most recently followed by the headlines of a terrible milestone of 100,000 dead.
Did you ever stop to wonder why we are cancelling things so far out? We are learning new things every day to help us cope. Let’s see how the science Of what we know [or don't know] plays out in another couple of months. Let’s also see if anyone invents an antidote for horns such as a face mask for horns before we declare the end of the world And the collateral end of the student experience..

Reaction Score
Actually I agree it isn’t so hard. Every model about the virus has been wrong. Remember the scientific projections of over 2 million dead? Most recently followed by the headlines of a terrible milestone of 100,000 dead.
Did you ever stop to wonder why we are cancelling things so far out? We are learning new things every day to help us cope. Let’s see how the science Of what we know [or don't know] plays out in another couple of months. Let’s also see if anyone invents an antidote for horns such as a face mask for horns before we declare the end of the world And the collateral end of the student experience..

You don't think they cancelled it now because, just as one example, band members needed to be able to make plans for their summer, not knowing whether they needed to return to campus early? It just has to be incompetence because you don't know all the reasons?

You think that because predictions don't always come true, leaders don't have to make plans based on the best information and predictions they have at the time? If we only made governmental decisions where we knew the projections we made them on would in fact happen, we might as well not have government.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfortunately you are so far wrong with your take. Do you know how much saliva and spit is sent out of instruments? Every brass instrument has a spit valve. Many schools are referring to instrumental and choir programs as "super spreaders" and won't be happening in middle schools and high schools. My friend is a middle school choir teacher in Enfield and was informed of this in May.

This is definitely not a cost cutting move and strictly a safety move. There's no way the University was going to put the band out there, packed together in their section, and have them play on top of each other.

I am a UCMB alum and played in the Pep Band. I know my stuff. It really blows and I feel for these kids. Like HBD said, you'd go 1-2 weeks early for Pre Season and get to move in early and have that time to have the campus to yourselves, mostly. I loved the UCMB and it was a large part of my college life. However, I'm not shocked one bit that this move was made. It won't be the only school to do this. There is likely no financial reason attached here.
I never remembered spit dripping out of the bell of my saxophone. Nonetheless, your point is well taken, but in reality if there can't be a band at an outdoor field with plenty of room at the Rent (UConn is lucky to get 20,000 in a 40,000 seat stadium) for separation, then there should be no fans in attendance at all, especially in crowded indoor arenas for basketball. I am happy to hear that the decision is not a financial one, although I suppose to avoid a lawsuit should anyone contract the virus, it is likely a wise decision. I will be interesting to see how the P5 schools let this play out.

Reaction Score
Considering what's going on, I can't believe the whining over this.

Good comment. Just what is going on???
After governors around the country , including our own Gov. Lamont, tell us to social distance and dont go to church, we see videos of many of those same governors and police , without face masks, marching in riots [sorry protests] Linked arm to arm in large groups. We then see various quotes, including some from the same “experts” who told us to stay home, saying all of this protesting in large groups is just fine!
Yes, what is going on???

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
No, "they" are not taking away from the college experience. A new virus that we don't have a vaccine or cure for is taking away from the college experience -- along with all sorts of other experiences -- and human beings are trying to deal with it the best they can. It really surprises you that there are individuals who in good faith will sleep better if they go too far in limiting experiences versus losing lives that they are in charge of?

Yet people can be in large groups in public places now?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Good comment. Just what is going on???
After governors around the country , including our own Gov. Lamont, tell us to social distance and dont go to church, we see videos of many of those same governors and police , without face masks, marching in riots [sorry protests] Linked arm to arm in large groups. We then see various quotes, including some from the same “experts” who told us to stay home, saying all of this protesting in large groups is just fine!
Yes, what is going on???

Truth matters and yet all of a sudden what was bad last week is no longer the same thing unless you want to have church or eat indoors or go to a movie theater

Reaction Score
Yet people can be in large groups in public places now?

No. Mass protests are a health risk. Participants have decided that what they are protesting for is more important than minimizing the health risks. I don't share that opinion. There are ways to demand change without the mass protests.

That having been said, do you realize how privileged you sound when you have the unmitigated gall to compare people protesting to prevent black Americans from being murdered by law enforcement officers to student band members who won't get to play one season? Do you realize how incredibly self-important you have to be to think that's a good comparison?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. Mass protests are a health risk. Participants have decided that what they are protesting for is more important than minimizing the health risks. I don't share that opinion. There are ways to demand change without the mass protests.

That having been said, do you realize how privileged you sound when you have the unmitigated gall to compare people protesting be prevent black Americans from being murdered by law enforcement officers to student band members who won't get to play one season? Do you realize how incredibly self-important you have to be to think that's a good comparison?
There were over 20 people murdered in Chicago this weekend. Have you seen any protests or even any editorials? These as I understand it were black on black. Where is the outrage?

Reaction Score
If the band isn’t able to attend games I wonder if they be pre recorded so we can still at least get to hear them.

Reaction Score
There were over 20 people murdered in Chicago this weekend. Have you seen any protests or even any editorials? These as I understand it were black on black. Where is the outrage?
So that makes it OK that an entire race lives in fear of rather than supported by the police? In fact, it's when faith in fair and equitable application of the law breaks down that such problems worsen. I know you want us to think so, but It certainly is not reason to write off the protests as invalid. My wife, an African-American, and I once performed a little test because I had a hard time believing it was as bad as I was told. We entered an upscale department store within 30 seconds of each other. She was dressed in her business clothes and I, a Caucasian, was wearing my typical weekend comfort look - unshaven and dressed like some of the lower echelon at the homeless shelter. Guess which one of us was followed from the first second by the off-duty cop working security? For all the attention I got I could have walked out with anything I wanted.

Reaction Score
If the band isn’t able to attend games I wonder if they be pre recorded so we can still at least get to hear them.
If the supposed issue is spittle from the horns, why not at least have the great UCONN drum line?
they can certainly appropriately socialdistance.

Reaction Score
So that makes it OK that an entire race lives in fear of rather than supported by the police? In fact, it's when faith in fair and equitable application of the law breaks down that such problems worsen. I know you want us to think so, but It certainly is not reason to write off the protests as invalid. My wife, an African-American, and I once performed a little test because I had a hard time believing it was as bad as I was told. We entered an upscale department store within 30 seconds of each other. She was dressed in her business clothes and I, a Caucasian, was wearing my typical weekend comfort look - unshaven and dressed like some of the lower echelon at the homeless shelter. Guess which one of us was followed from the first second by the off-duty cop working security? For all the attention I got I could have walked out with anything I wanted.
I didn't say the protests were invalid . I would say there is more to this than the bandwagon Response that currently reigns. When rationality returns I expect that getting rid of the police is not the answer. Better oversight and training is part of that answer.
The same can be said of the whole irrational, chaotic, authoritative, inconsistent response to Covid.

Reaction Score
I didn't say the protests were invalid . I would say there is more to this than the bandwagon Response that currently reigns. When rationality returns I expect that getting rid of the police is not the answer. Better oversight and training is part of that answer.
The same can be said of the whole irrational, chaotic, authoritative, inconsistent response to Covid.
If you don't want someone to think you are trying to minimize or invalidate an issue, then it's best to avoid the "Yeah, but what about......." response. Talk to the issue at hand. Getting rid of people that enforce the law is never the answer. I agree that better oversight and training is part of the answer. Greater community interaction so each side doesn't view every action taken by the other in the worst possible light is also critical.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Let me help this along to the cesspool...

You are a good cult member and have done a great job of regurgitating all the fox news talking points of the last 3 months.

Come on over to the cesspool and tell us how Obama spied on Trump's campaign.

Reaction Score

Still? After all this, you still think you can pretend you're not being racist with fake logic?

O.K., one more time. It is tragic when one citizen of any color kills another citizen of any color because the loss of human life is tragic. But, as a matter of policy, unless you will work with me on gun control there is little I can do about it. And it has NOTHING to do with municipal employees taking my tax dollars and murdering people, disproportionately of one race, while I am paying them to work. That is something that through my votes and voice I can hope to change.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Still? After all this, you still think you can pretend you're not being racist with fake logic?

O.K., one more time. It is tragic when one citizen of any color kills another citizen of any color because the loss of human life is tragic. But, as a matter of policy, unless you will work with me on gun control there is little I can do about it. And it has NOTHING to do with municipal employees taking my tax dollars and murdering people, disproportionately of one race, while I am paying them to work. That is something that through my votes and voice I can hope to change.

You know you're dealing with a Deplorable when they bust out the "why don't you care about black people killing black people in Chicago" bit.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

You don't seem to understand some basic stuff, so let me help you out.

The 2-million-death projection was a worst-case projection of what would happen if we didn't start locking things down. The only reason we have a shot of keeping deaths under 200,000 is because people took social distancing seriously. So the projection was by no means "wrong." If I tell you that if you don't cut your lawn that the grass will be 3 feet tall by the end of the summer, and then you cut your lawn, it doesn't mean my "projection" was wrong. It means you avoided the worst-case outcome by doing the smart thing.

I read a lot of hot takes here and everywhere else from people complaining about sports events being shut down back in March. It saved countless lives.

But then again, hearing Hang On Sloopy is absolutely critical.

Reaction Score

There is only one flaw in your. Logic. Chicago is acknowledged to have one of the most rigorous gun control laws in the country. I still believe Chicago is the best city in the US but it Went off the rails sometime ago for a lot of reasons not relevant here.
this discussion has also gone off the tracks. As a Professor taught me years ago, group think is dangerous. We need to use the intelligence we were given. Rather than the knee jerk reaction “we must cancel the band at football and basketball,“ there are alternatives if we think about them.

Reaction Score
You don't seem to understand some basic stuff, so let me help you out.

The 2-million-death projection was a worst-case projection of what would happen if we didn't start locking things down. The only reason we have a shot of keeping deaths under 200,000 is because people took social distancing seriously. So the projection was by no means "wrong." If I tell you that if you don't cut your lawn that the grass will be 3 feet tall by the end of the summer, and then you cut your lawn, it doesn't mean my "projection" was wrong. It means you avoided the worst-case outcome by doing the smart thing.

I read a lot of hot takes here and everywhere else from people complaining about sports events being shut down back in March. It saved countless lives.

But then again, hearing Hang On Sloopy is absolutely critical.
Thanks for the education. If you go back a couple of months, everyone had a model. As we learn more about those models, they were Stop. “No face masks needed”. Whoops face masks are mandatory. “ Wipe off everything you touch”. Whoops, now we are hearing that may not be true. “Heat will dampen the virus“. Whoops, California and Florida don’t support that theory.
Face it, the experts are winging it because they have never been through this before but it has cultivated And empowered those who would tell everyone what to do.We dont really know what the future holds but it doesn’t stop the “experts” from saying events into the fall and winter should be cancelled now!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom