No complaints- Creighton game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No complaints- Creighton game

Reaction Score
What has AJax shown so far? He is still a deer in headlights. A broken wrist has set him back more.
Unfortunately he is not going to be a savior unless he learned how to shoot. Hoping I am wrong on this

Reaction Score
We always go in thinking we are deep then injuries/poor play, etc. Happen. If we really wanna be deep, we need 5+ guards on the roster.
Good guards with scoring talent. Outside of Bouk and a bit of Cole, our guards are terrible. We should recruit over them immediately.

Reaction Score
Polley should be starting at this point - he's better to have in there than Adams. Took way too long to get him in during the 1st half, but he was quick to get subbed in for the 2nd.
They’re both terrible most of the time. At least Polly can get hot.

Reaction Score
When your opponent shoots over 50%, you tend to lose. Creighton shot 50%, St John's shot 49%.

That is something that can and needs to be fixed. It has nothing to do with recruiting our guys are good enough to play better defense. Or they will keep losing.

Yes their defense needs to get better but you don't win basketball one-way. This team with Bouk can win games that they don't defend well. Without Bouk they can't do it very well. Not all games can be shutdown games. Being able to win different ways separates many good teams from mediocre or bad.

Secondly, the better UCONN's offense scores the better they can possibly defend (i.e. less fast breaks/ or open floor for other team.). To further the struggling of offense leads to desperation and as a result can put the defense in worse position such as forcing bad shots and committing turnovers because of desperation. Get bakc Bouk you don't struggle/ become desperate as much.

Third- other teams have god coaches and scholarship players too. It's not all about UCONN. Sometimes how they plan against you is going to work. It's not a knock on Hurley. Other coaches and players aren't all incompetent.

Until Bouk comes back-- it's just some undo noise. Same with the women with Bueckers.

Reaction Score
Isn't there some value in playing Springs for a few minutes in a game like yesterday to waste a few fouls on him vs AS/JC/IW and letting them get into foul trouble?

Does Hurley restrict guys from dunking? Just once before JC leaves Storrs I would like to see him dunk on a smaller defender. Let alone one his size.

If he didn't get played yesterday Hurley must think he isn't close to ready to compete. Gotta trust him on that one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This team is what you see is what you get predictable now.

Characteristics:

Below average to average athleticism at every position.

Inconsistent outside shooting team.

No rim protection outside of Whaley

Average to poor ball handling.

Inconsistent FT shooting team

Very good to excellent offensive rebounding

Average to below average defensive pressure in a one on one situation.

Reaction Score
This team is what you see is what you get predictable now.

Characteristics:

Below average to average athleticism at every position.

Inconsistent outside shooting team.

No rim protection outside of Whaley

Average to poor ball handling.

Inconsistent FT shooting team

Very good to excellent offensive rebounding

Average to below average defensive pressure in a one on one situation.
Totally agree with one minor addition/comment. Where is the help defense?

Maybe all of your points add up to their inability to provide consistent help defense. Can't tell you how many times over the last few games that the help defense has had their back(s) to the ball as the ball handler is beating their defender on the way to the hoop for yet another layup.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Totally agree with one minor addition/comment. Where is the help defense?

Help defense falls under coaching and coaching them not to help. That was the strategy against St. John's. Each player needed to be "tougher" and "gut it out" guarding his man. Helping on those drives would have left the help defender's player open for a 3.

As far as coaching this team??

Generally speaking, good starts to games. UConn is competitive from the opening tap.

Horrible substitutions in first half to kill momentum and have several good leads chopped down.

A bit of favoritism with quick hooks vice letting them play through. Adams and Martin can be atrocious and still play whereas Sanogo had the hook up until Creighton where he go to play through mistakes.

Reaction Score
Help defense falls under coaching and coaching them not to help. That was the strategy against St. John's. Each player needed to be "tougher" and "gut it out" guarding his man. Helping on those drives would have left the help defender's player open for a 3.

As far as coaching this team??

Generally speaking, good starts to games. UConn is competitive from the opening tap.

Horrible substitutions in first half to kill momentum and have several good leads chopped down.

A bit of favoritism with quick hooks vice letting them play through. Adams and Martin can be atrocious and still play whereas Sanogo had the hook up until Creighton where he go to play through mistakes.
To your first point re: help defense..At what point in the game where your opposition is consistently beating you off the dribble and making layups/or getting to the FT line.Do you make an in game adjustment??

Or do you just let it keep happening to protect the 3 point line? An old-fashioned three point play is just as detrimental as a 30 ft jump shot. And is usually the higher percentage shot

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Polley should be starting at this point - he's better to have in there than Adams. Took way too long to get him in during the 1st half, but he was quick to get subbed in for the 2nd.
I would be all for him starting as well if he could rebound, play defense or be a reliable ball handler.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I would be all for him starting as well if he could rebound, play defense or be a reliable ball handler.
And Adams is doing so much better? Someone else said it - at least Polley can get hot.

Reaction Score
UConn - Creighton was a good undercard. UConn looked ok considering the short bench. Every team has issues. UConn should be stronger by the post season.

I do remember those that looked down on the Creightons of the Big East. Respect for their program will grow I think.

Reaction Score
And Adams is doing so much better? Someone else said it - at least Polley can get hot.
Believe me I am not a huge Adams fan. But how do you get through to s 6'9" senior that he needs to do more than be a spot up shooter? We need better schemes to get Polley involved.

Reaction Score
Sonogo will be fine. I just shook my head when Carlton stole the ball, dribbled down court and just threw the ball up. It was not tipped. Just threw it up. Races under the hoop and should of just banked it in.
How about dunking the ball?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom