No Calhoun antics. | The Boneyard

No Calhoun antics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought Calhoun might have had one of is intestinal illness moments during much of the game. He appeared to be glued to his seat for much of the first half and never jumped up to excitedly remove a player after one of the many mistakes that were made by the huskies. Perhaps he was just in the same funk that the team was in for this game. Lack of enthusiasm shown by players and coach.

Reaction Score
Thought Calhoun might have had one of is intestinal illness moments during much of the game. He appeared to be glued to his seat for much of the first half and never jumped up to excitedly remove a player after one of the many mistakes that were made by the huskies. Perhaps he was just in the same funk that the team was in for this game. Lack of enthusiasm shown by players and coach.

This team could be the end of a career if they don't turn it around...............it can't be fun for him. I think his frustration with this particular team is showing when he's quiet.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I thought it was odd too, but postgame he said he was trying the relaxed routine to try and get through to them (Sweater!!!!!). Didn't work.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Listening to his post-game presser he said he's not sure how to get through to this team. Stressed the complete lack of leadership in the back-court (didn't point about Shabazz by name, but that's pretty much who he was calling out). Almost sounded resigned during the presser... Not a good sign at all...

Reaction Score
I've never seen people being publicly called out like this before. Shabazz was calling out his teammates a few weeks ago, now JC is calling him out. One thing Id love to see for once iS JC accepting some culpability for the teams struggles, instead of saying they lack leadership. We all know what he's done for our program, it's ok to admit to some shortcomings. I for one would find it refreshing.

Reaction Score
If this team pulls a '10 and takes a huge dump down the stretch, I got odds that this will be JC's last year, and I got very big odds if Lamb and AD both go pro, because, really, if the two of them go pro then next year's team is going to be a rebuilding team. The year after that, on the other hand, ought to be fun.

And, BTW, Kemba might have driven a final nail into Pitt's coffin, but his leaving may end up, in hindsight, being the apogee of the UConn program as well. Would hate for that to be true, but if dump out this year and don't make the tourni, or get bumped early, and JC doesn't come back, and Lamb and AD go pro . . . well. There be a very, very large question mark hanging over the program.

Are we out of the post season for 2013/14, BTW?

H

huskymagic

I've never seen people being publicly called out like this before. Shabazz was calling out his teammates a few weeks ago, now JC is calling him out. One thing Id love to see for once iS JC accepting some culpability for the teams struggles, instead of saying they lack leadership. We all know what he's done for our program, it's ok to admit to some shortcomings. I for one would find it refreshing.

Calhoun needs to make the changes he knows he needs to make which is benching napier for boatright, and playing Roscoe at the 3 spot. Napier doesnt deserve this much trust and faith shown to him by Jimmy for this long. Its not like we dont have someone to take his place because we do. The best players should play.

The starting lineup should be

1: Boat 2: Lamb 3. Roscoe/Giffey 4. Alex 5. Drummond

Bench: Napier and Olander.

These are the 8 players who should play at all for us this year as they are the ones capable of producing. Boatright is the only one who is capable of leading this team as he is passionate, has energy and charisma, plays hard, and is respected by all of his teammates.

Reaction Score
Calhoun needs to make the changes he knows he needs to make which is benching napier for boatright, and playing Roscoe at the 3 spot. Napier doesnt deserve this much trust and faith shown to him by Jimmy for this long. Its not like we dont have someone to take his place because we do. The best players should play.

These are the 8 players who should play at all for us this year as they are the ones capable of producing. Boatright is the only one who is capable of leading this team as he is passionate, has energy and charisma, plays hard, and is respected by all of his teammates.

Can't agree more. Shabazz doesn't deserve any special treatment. He is a sophomore, and he sure is playing like one right now. I just hope he realizes that he is not the main factor of this team. I think everyone would be happier with 4 points and 7-10 assists versus going 0-7 from the field with 4 assists. SO FRUSTRATING.

Reaction Score

1. What has Boat shown (yesterday in particular) to make you think he would be better at the point? He has shown he can score and cut into the lane when off the ball, but when he runs the point he does the same as Shabazz.
2. I love Roscoe from his toughness last year, but what in God's name makes you think he deserves to start, let alone at the 3, where Giffey has been by far our best player (when Lamb isn't there in the 3 guard lineup)

H

huskymagic

1. What has Boat shown (yesterday in particular) to make you think he would be better at the point? He has shown he can score and cut into the lane when off the ball, but when he runs the point he does the same as Shabazz.
2. I love Roscoe from his toughness last year, but what in God's name makes you think he deserves to start, let alone at the 3, where Giffey has been by far our best player (when Lamb isn't there in the 3 guard lineup)

Boatright has shown alot since his first game against Florida State where he willed the team to a win. He does everything better than Napier and is a way better athlete. He also makes great decisions and knows when to drive, pull up for jumpers or get his teammates involved.

I like Napier for his determination and his shooting ability but i have said this since the beginning of the year that Boatright should start as he understands basketball and has all the tools to help this team win and compete for a championship. We need to play up tempo basketball which Ryan and our big men are suited for. This team and UCONN teams usually are almost always better when they run fast paced up tempo offense where our athletes can go out and dominate.

Napier is unable to do this and likes to play half court which is why Calhoun I believe is playing more of a methodical and half court game this year which doesn't suit our players at all.

P.S. Concerning Roscoe he is too skinny to play the 4 spot and is not a 4 even though he prefers to play as a big man in the post. He is a small forward and was recruited to be a small forward. He brings toughness, grit, energy, defense, he's an all around glue guy. I feel Roscoe needs to start to get his confidence up and he can split his time equally at the 3 with Giffey who I like as well. Giffey won't mind coming off the bench and he will play a lot of minutes, but Roscoe I believe will play better if he is given the confidence by Calhoun to start and know he will be a starter.

Reaction Score
Haven't we all figured out by now not to take a single thing Calhoun says in the media seriously? Suddenly it's the end of his career and his coaching is terrible because we've had a bad month? Yes, things aren't going well, yes, things need to change, but see how things pan out before writing the last chapter.

Reaction Score
Can't agree more. Shabazz doesn't deserve any special treatment. He is a sophomore, and he sure is playing like one right now. I just hope he realizes that he is not the main factor of this team. I think everyone would be happier with 4 points and 7-10 assists versus going 0-7 from the field with 4 assists. SO FRUSTRATING.

You say 7-10 assists as if 7 assists wouldn't put him as a TOP FIVE assist leader in college basketball.

C

Chief00

The Bigs are very frustrated with Bazz for not getting them touches. I think Lamb may be frustrated too. Even this year Bazz has made some big plays especially toward the end of games - but he also has very long dry periods.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
JC when interviewed with JD on the radio described the team had a lack of chemistry but he defined it and it's different than what some people focus on this board. He stated to JD for him the chemistry is about everyone knowing what to do automatically. When one player is zigging another is zagging. There are too many players that lack this. It was the same last season except Kemba was able to mask it.

I like RB. He is quicker than SN and more spontaneous. But I doubt he's the answer. You would be replacing slower offense for a much higher number of turnovers. In the two games before his suspension RB struggled.

I hope RB starts and I hope he proves me wrong, not just as a one game wonder, but for the remaining of the season. But if he starts and the results are similar to the last few games, I would hope some people would finally begin to realize there a five players on the court for UConn in each possession and the involvement for failure is the result of the team failing to execute and not one player.

Reaction Score
By February JC usually goes into a metamorphosis anyway. Meaning he yells and screams less and less and becomes more patient and tolerant with the quick hook fading out.

However in the 2nd half when the offense is on his side I am surprised that he is not yelling plays or instructions. Bazz could be dribbling for 20 seconds 10 feet in front of him, very unusual for coach not to say something. I would expect him to take over the offensive sets in the 2nd half since the execution is not going as planned.

Reaction Score
Seems like a few contributors in this thread are overacting.

With Boat gone and his future uncertain it obviously was difficult for the team to get it together in practice and games - they are young. Now that he is back JC has full information to work with. Don't worry, our signature win is coming and I have all the faith in JC to lead us to the promise land in the Garden and beyond.

Reaction Score
I HATE all these posts that continue to talk about Shabazz "just dribbling around for 20 seconds"... Have any of you critics ever played basketball at any level above the driveway? The half court offense we run is based off of screens and he waits for screens to be set, and for guys like Lamb to come off them strong. If it's a bad screen set by a big, then guess what, Lamb isn't coming out open. If the bigs don't flash up and just stand around (which I believe is the real problem in our half court sets), then yeah, you're going to see Shabazz dribbling around without anyone to make a pass to and end up taking a shot or trying to force himself into the lane.
Do you really think a coach like JC would allow Shabazz to just dribble around without giving him the hook? Obviously he wouldn't. He realizes that Shabazz isn't the main problem (while he does have a few bad turnovers per game).
Simply benching him in exchange for Boatright isn't going to cause Lamb to come off screens harder, or Andre or AO or Olander to set better screens or flash up and not stand around aimlessly.

Reaction Score

You lost me at #4. Use both at #3 for 3 and 4. AO deserves only garbage minutes for his efforts so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom