No Aaliyah on Canada’s national team | The Boneyard

No Aaliyah on Canada’s national team

Reaction Score
Canada has some quality bigs so it may be that they don’t need her but I wonder if that summer between Aaliyah’s freshman and sophomore years changed her mind about playing for Canada while she’s still in college

My guess is Aaliyah might be interested in going to Europe with the HUSKIE WBB team this summer??

Reaction Score
Canada has some quality bigs so it may be that they don’t need her but I wonder if that summer between Aaliyah’s freshman and sophomore years changed her mind about playing for Canada while she’s still in college

I don't know if it did, but it should. Aaliyah's sophomore season didn't even resemble her freshmen or junior season. I think Geno suggested being near the end of the bench, and not having much practice time either, contributed to an unproductive off-season that year. She got back on track this year with a summer to concentrate on the right things.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it did, but it should. Aaliyah's sophomore season didn't even resemble her freshmen or junior season. I think Geno suggested being near the end of the bench, and not having much practice time either, contributed to an unproductive off-season that year. She got back on track this year with a summer to concentrate on the right things.
Exactly. I don't know if this is what she's thinking, but it's definitely what we're all thinking. She wants an NC use like Paige does, and she wants to have another awesome year next to the best player in D1, maybe an even awesomer one. At least that's what I'd want were I in her shoes.

Reaction Score
This was the roster from last year's World Cup. I don't believe this is current as Achonwa wouldn't be on this list right now due to her pregnancy.

This summer is a question mark right now. There is the U23 Globl Jam again this summer. Canada have some exhibition games and an Americup competition later this year. And as others noted, the summer trip overseas. Who knows at this moment?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have always believed that Aaliyah’s summer with the Canadian Olympic team set her back significantly. I am sure Aaliyah has learned from that experience. As for this coming season’s goals, I would think the following are on Aaliyah’s “to do” list: National Championship, 1st Team AA & 1st Round pick in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Her work off the dribble and her spins in the paint were a significant improvement. Her mid range jumper consitency opened up her ability to drive by oppenets. He defense has always been good. What could she do better. Hmmm maybe a three ball in the 40% range. I see her as a small forward similar to Phessa at the next level.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It's also possible that the coaches and management of the Canadian national team considered her absence last summer to be an indication that she was not fully committed to them, and decided that her roster spot should be given to someone (even if less talented) who was fully committed to the national team as her top priority. Decision makers have been known to think that way.

I recall that about 10 years ago there was a similar situation with Erin Phillips, an Australian guard whose national team wanted her to commit fully to them, even if it conflicted with her WNBA schedule. For one Olympic cycle, she did that and still sat at the end of the bench on the Australian Olympic team. When they asked her to do that again for the next Olympic cycle, she told them to pound salt. Needless to say, she was left off their Olympic roster.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's also possible that the coaches and management of the Canadian national team considered her absence last summer to be an indication that she was not fully committed to them, and decided that her roster spot should be given to someone (even if less talented) who was fully committed to the national team as her top priority. Decision makers have been known to think that way.

I recall that about 10 years ago there was a similar situation with Erin Phillips, an Australian guard whose national team wanted her to commit fully to them, even if it conflicted with her WNBA schedule. For one Olympic cycle, she did that and still sat at the end of the bench on the Australian Olympic team. When they asked her to do that again for the next Olympic cycle, she told them to pound salt. Needless to say, she was left off their Olympic roster.
No man (woman) can serve two masters.

Reaction Score

1). She played for Canada last summer as part of their U23 event Global Jam. The assumption of lack of commitment is incorrect. She's definitely going to be part of the pool of players considered for Paris 2024, but that's a long ways away.

2). The Canadian team understands the commitments of NCAA players. They worked with Kia when she represented Canada in London while part of the UConn squad. Aaliyah may/may not represent Canada this summer, but it won't keep her out of consideration unless she decides to.

3). While at the BioSteel event a few weeks ago, she talked about representing Canada again down the road. She's still has it as a goal.

HGN

Reaction Score
She may just want to rest….or just do individual training.

Reaction Score
Question to the board - did UConn fans have a problem with Kia representing Canada while she played for the Huskies? I wasn't a part of the board community back then. Her situation doesn't seem all that different. She competed in the Olympics, Pan-Am Games, various FIBA qualifying tournaments throughout her UConn career.

At this point in both of their careers, I think Kia participated in more events than Aaliyah. What am I missing that would provide context?

Reaction Score
Question to the board - did UConn fans have a problem with Kia representing Canada while she played for the Huskies? I wasn't a part of the board community back then. Her situation doesn't seem all that different. She competed in the Olympics, Pan-Am Games, various FIBA qualifying tournaments throughout her UConn career.

At this point in both of their careers, I think Kia participated in more events than Aaliyah. What am I missing that would provide context?
The missing context is after Aaliyah's promising freshman season, she missed summer practice to go workout with the Canadian national team, and disappointed in her sophomore season.

Reaction Score
The missing context is after Aaliyah's promising freshman season, she missed summer practice to go workout with the Canadian national team, and disappointed in her sophomore season.
That point is understood however, she trained and competed with the Canadian national program last summer. She played every game this season and ends up a 3rd team All-American.

Considering the marked improvement under similar circumstances, why isn't she getting the benefit of the doubt? That's where I'm confused. It doesn't make sense that this gets overlooked when the discussion comes up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That point is understood however, she trained and competed with the Canadian national program last summer. She played every game this season and ends up a 3rd team All-American.

Considering the marked improvement under similar circumstances, why isn't she getting the benefit of the doubt? That's where I'm confused. It doesn't make sense that this gets overlooked when the discussion comes up.
Aaliyah did not compete with any Canadian national team last summer. She spent the entire summer in Storrs working with Andrea Hudy to get stronger and fitter, while also working on her game.

In 2021, Aaliyah‘a entire summer was dedicated to trying out for and making the Canadian Olympic team. After making the team, she spent several weeks at a camp in FL with her professional teammates, before traveling to the Olympics. Aaliyah was the 12th and last player off the bench. She earned little PT and had very little time to work on individual skills development or conditioning.

I have no doubt that experience motivated Aaliyah to work incredibly hard last summer to improve her game and conditioning, something that she will repeat again this summer.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Aaliyah did not compete with any Canadian national team last summer. She spent the entire summer in Storrs working with Andrea Hudy to get stronger and fitter, while also working on her game.

In 2021, Aaliyah‘a entire summer was dedicated to trying out for and making the Canadian Olympic team. After making the team, she spent several weeks at a camp in FL with her professional teammates, before traveling to the Olympics. Aaliyah was the 12th and last player off the bench. She earned little PT and had very little time to work on individual skills development or conditioning.

I have no doubt that experience motivated Aaliyah to work incredibly hard last summer to improve her game and conditioning, something that she will repeat again this summer.
Your first paragraph is not accurate. Aaliyah trained with Canada's U-23 team last summer and played in and was MVP of the Global Jam.

I support any decision Aaliyah makes regarding her participation with Canada's national team. I'm sure the Olympic experience was amazing but the time spent in Florida and China did not help her game and she also returned to Storrs a bit out of shape. It took her until the end of her sophomore season to look like the player we saw as a freshman. Older and wiser, I believe she'd handle that experience differently now.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Your first paragraph is not accurate. Aaliyah trained with Canada's U-23 team last summer and played in and was MVP of the Global Jam.

I support any decision Aaliyah makes regarding her participation with Canada's national team. I'm sure the Olympic experience was amazing but the time spent in Florida and China did not help her game and she also returned to Storrs a bit out of shape. It took her until the end of her sophomore season to look like the player we saw as a freshman. Older and wiser, I believe she'd handle that experience differently now.
I stand corrected. The Global Jam involved a commitment of approximately 3 weeks and the tournament was played in Toronto where Aaliyah was a key member of the Canadian U23 gold medal team.

I guess my point is that during the summer of 2021, Aaliyah’s commitment to the Canadian Olympic team involved several months, resulting in both limited PT and development. While I am sure it was a great honor for Aaliyah to make the national team following her freshman year in college, the overall benefit to her game was dubious at best.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected. The Global Jam involved a commitment of approximately 3 weeks and the tournament was played in Toronto where Aaliyah was a key member of the Canadian U23 gold medal team.

I guess my point is that during the summer of 2021, Aaliyah’s commitment to the Canadian Olympic team involved several months, resulting in both limited PT and development. While I am sure it was a great honor for Aaliyah to make the national team following her freshman year in college, the overall benefit to her game was dubious at best.

The Olympic point is fair, to an extent. COVID and Canada's challenges with getting training space, following FIBA's requirements for compliance had a factor too. It's a one-off but it did have impact. I get it.

The point I'm trying to make is that it wasn't the case last year and look how well she did. This year, the dates for events like AmeriCup and Global Jam are similar in length. They also don't conflict with the trip to Europe.

It's totally different than the Olympics which is in 2024. By then Aaliyah has graduated and it's a moot point.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The Olympic point is fair, to an extent. COVID and Canada's challenges with getting training space, following FIBA's requirements for compliance had a factor too. It's a one-off but it did have impact. I get it.

The point I'm trying to make is that it wasn't the case last year and look how well she did. This year, the dates for events like AmeriCup and Global Jam are similar in length. They also don't conflict with the trip to Europe.

It's totally different than the Olympics which is in 2024. By then Aaliyah has graduated and it's a moot point.
Aaliyah has a 5th year of eligibility should she decide to use it…..Just sayin…:cool:

Reaction Score
Aaliyah has a 5th year of eligibility should she decide to use it…..Just sayin…:cool:

And Paris 2024 won't be in September and a shorter timeframe compared to Japan. Just saying ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom