OT: - Nintendo Switch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Nintendo Switch

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
They're not compatible. If you pay for online, though, you have access to an ever-growing library of NES games. And there are some Wii-U remakes that you can re-purchase.

The $20 a year for old school games seams worth it. I guess the unit is 32 GB. He’s only 6 but likes trying new games. How much memory do you think is reasonable to add?

Reaction Score
The $20 a year for old school games seams worth it. I guess the unit is 32 GB. He’s only 6 but likes trying new games. How much memory do you think is reasonable to add?
You can probably get away with the 32gb internal storage and a 64gb card for a while, but the 128gb and 200gb cards are so cheap right now that I would pay the extra few bucks for those. 128gb cards are like $20 right now and 200gbs are ~$30

Reaction Score
I thought those mini NES classic were possible to get ? remember a couple years ago they came out with a few (but limited edition) my wife was gonna get it for me for Christmas but she could not even get one and she’s great at getting things so I’m assuming now it’s easier to get?

Reaction Score
I thought those mini NES classic were possible to get ? remember a couple years ago they came out with a few (but limited edition) my wife was gonna get it for me for Christmas but she could not even get one and she’s great at getting things so I’m assuming now it’s easier to get?
The SNES ones are easier to get. The problem with the original NES ones is that they made a really small amount because they didn't think they would be popular

Reaction Score
Couldn't you get the SNES Classic and then mod it to play pretty much any SNES, NES, and even Sega games? It's pretty easy, right?

Reaction Score
Couldn't you get the SNES Classic and then mod it to play pretty much any SNES, NES, and even Sega games? It's pretty easy, right?
honestly if you're going to do that, you can just buy an 8bitdo controller and download roms to your computer with an emulator

Reaction Score
honestly if you're going to do that, you can just buy an 8bitdo controller and download roms to your computer with an emulator
But if you just have a MacBook and want the system in part for multiplayer games, that isn't the best fix, right? (Genuine question. Considering getting one and doing this.)

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Zelda BOTW is the best game for the system, at least in my opinion. It might be a little complex for a six year old but you'd enjoy it. Mario Odyssey is good too. It's very easy and is probably a little more accessible for a younger kid than Zelda is.

All games can be downloaded nowadays. You never have to actually go to the store to buy them. With that being said, if you download games, or have a lot of games, you'll want to upgrade the system storage with a micro SD card. There are a lot on sale for Black Friday so it's not a bad time to get one. You don't need the Nintendo branded one.

I buy the big titles like Zelda, Mario, etc on cartridges. For small games or non-nintendo games I download them. If your kid is going to play on the go a lot, downloading has the advantage that you don't need to bring physical games with you.
Breath of the wild is by far the best game, I'd get it for yourself not your son though, it's complex. Incredible though. Yoshi is coming out for Christmas, Mario Cart, maybe splashtoon for your son.
Stardew Valley and golf story are great little indie games. Overcooked is fun for the family!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You can find them pretty easily these days.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
so there are two ways to buy games online.

The first is the Nintendo E-Shop. You add funds to your Nintendo wallet and can purchase games through their online store that you have access to with the switch

The second way to do it is to purchase a digital copy through an online retailer. It will give you a product key in an email and then you enter that in the redeem portion of the Nintendo E-Shop

There are price differences between the E-shop, digital codes, and buying a physical cartridge - and sometimes they can all vary retailer to retailer. The best thing to do is research the prices individually. If I'm going to buy a game, I typically check all of the usual suspects - Game Stop, Best Buy, Amazon, Costco, etc. and see who is charging the least.

I sent you a private message.

Reaction Score
Yeah. This seems legit. I'm no longer super tech-savy (once upon a time in high school, though...), but this doesn't actually seem too difficult. Further, it's not a huge investment of money or time if I'm wrong.
FYI: this is totally worth it. In my cart I have 6 things: Raspberry 3, a case, a power source, a 64Gig memory card, 2 controllers: $97, pretty much any game I can want...

Reaction Score
FYI: this is totally worth it. In my cart I have 6 things: Raspberry 3, a case, a power source, a 64Gig memory card, 2 controllers: $97, pretty much any game I can want...

Were you able to find the ROMs? They're getting a little trickier to find unless you use a p2p client

Reaction Score
I found a site that has no adds and seems pretty legit through reddit.
Nice. Id just download them while they're up. Nintendo files complaints and they get taken down for a few weeks/months until they pop up again

Reaction Score
Nice. Id just download them while they're up. Nintendo files complaints and they get taken down for a few weeks/months until they pop up again
That's what I'm doing now. They used to be easy to get, so the fact that they're difficult means I need to snatch them before they're gone.

Reaction Score
Yea Nintendo are real tightasses about their IP.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Just bought my Mario kart switch bundle. Anyone can catch the hands on the kart

Reaction Score

I mean yeah you get the old school games, but you have online access for everything else... Fortnite, Splatoon 2, etc. It's a good deal. They've already added like 8 new NES games to their library, so it'll all be on there, I assume.

Reaction Score
and I will try to hack it to get more games
It is very easy to hack and in fact is highly recommended. I added like 50 games. Apparently you can even add Genesis, psx, etc. Games too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom