NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s wild that some people still want to compare what coaches did 10+ years ago and act as if the sport then is anything like it is now.
It's insane. People used to freak out about a kid getting a gold chain.

Reaction Score
Did that roster of specified agents get increased with the advent of NIL?
I believe a new group was added. Previously it was just dual licensed NCAA/NBA agents, but now I believe there are a separate group of NIL specific agents

Reaction Score
Where is the Board of Directors at this company lmao! Any company with any sense would fired this guy already.
I’m assuming LifeWallet is a private company, but if they have other investors they may not be so happy that their advertising budget just increased 100x….

Reaction Score
I’ve worked in the world of sports sponsorship for 25 years. I am not an NIL expert and I don’t purport to be one. But I will say this… most reputable and well-known national brands won’t touch the space, mostly because there’s little opportunity for meaningful and measurable ROI or impact across a host of brand measures. The brands that are credibly utilizing NLI are doing so in a targeted way (to support rebranding, new product launches, expansion into new markets, etc), or because the student-athlete adds relevance and credibility to the brand and/or its products/services based on the young man’s or woman’s academic major, areas of interest, personal background or story - and NOT based on what sport they play. I exclude endemic brands above, such as energy/isotonic beverages in the examples above.

I do believe that the NCAA has mismanaged NIL in a monumental way, and I am not the least bit surprised. The best way to fix this, IMO, is for the NCAA to set up a fast-track review team, whose sole focus is to approve or disapprove NIL deals based on publicly available information that clearly spells out all the approval process and criteria that must be met (i.e., a credible connection between brand and athlete). If the NCAA needs to set aside budget to cover costs related to this review process, let them keep a small percentage of any NIL deal it approves - from the overall NIL agent fee. Controls need to be put in place. Quickly.

Reaction Score
Yes, he's been treated exceptionally well by LifeWallet since he signed his NIL deal with them 16 days ago lol

What a disaster. Ruiz seems like such a little slime ball. Going to be very entertaining to watch this play out

Reaction Score
It's insane. People used to freak out about a kid getting a gold chain.

It’s the compensation, but there’s also the “free agency” aspect that makes building a team now look nothing like it did 10 years ago. It doesn’t matter if coaches back then didn’t have transfers or didn’t play freshmen or sat guys until they were ready to contribute or to play right.

In the end, I think it‘s good that players have more freedom and rights. I think the sport is in the middle of a truly wild time but will hopefully settle back to something different than this but better for players than it was before. If a person only wants to complain about entitled athletes and whine about how it used to be, then I think they miss the point.

Reaction Score
Leave it to Miami to be at the forefront of the chaotic NIL era.
People used to say they had no money, weren't serious about athletics, etc. Now they are serious, to a degree I couldn't imagine. They got Clemson's AD, and he is talking about building all sorts of stuff. They hired one of the best football staffs possible. And this lunatic billionaire is talking about building a football stadium on top of everything else. Talk about a complete change in direction.

Reaction Score
It’s the compensation, but there’s also the “free agency” aspect that makes building a team now look nothing like it did 10 years ago. It doesn’t matter if coaches back then didn’t have transfers or didn’t play freshmen or sat guys until they were ready to contribute or to play right.

In the end, I think it‘s good that players have more freedom and rights. I think the sport is in the middle of a truly wild time but will hopefully settle back to something different than this but better for players than it was before. If a person only wants to complain about entitled athletes and whine about how it used to be, then I think they miss the point.
Agreed - middle grounds need to be met and there needs to be some guidelines. It looks like these players are signing a contract/agreement. Does anyone know what sort of termination clauses are written into them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom